Genesis News Com - Home

» Facebook | Twitter
find us on
Follow genesis_news on Twitter Join Genesis News Com on Facebook

Go Back   Genesis News Com Forum | International Message Board > GENESIS > GENESIS Back-Catalogue / Albums & Songs / General Discussion > Genesis Polls
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Genesis Polls Polls of all kinds about Genesis

View Poll Results: What are your three favorite Genesis Studio-Albums?
[1973] Selling England By The Pound 197 48.28%
[1976] A Trick Of The Tail 170 41.67%
[1974] The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway 164 40.20%
[1976] Wind And Wuthering 123 30.15%
[1980] Duke 122 29.90%
[1972] Foxtrot 95 23.28%
[1978] And Then There Were Three 54 13.24%
[1991] We Can't Dance 53 12.99%
[1981] Abacab 48 11.76%
[1971] Nursery Cryme 47 11.52%
[1983] Genesis 43 10.54%
[1986] Invisible Touch 42 10.29%
[1970] Trespass 22 5.39%
[1997] Calling All Stations 19 4.66%
[1969] From Genesis To Revelation 2 0.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #41 (permalink)
Valhalla
GNC Forum User

ATOTT, W&W, SEBTP.

It would be interesting to see how people's favourites match the FIRST ones they heard. I know in my case Trick and Wind were the first and, guess what - they are still my favourites!
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:05 AM   #42 (permalink)
duraznofeliz
GNC Forum User

I like the post 1977 era, but classic Genesis stands unchallenged. Period.

All Genesis works are worthwhile, but my favorite albums (generally speaking, not only in the case of Genesis) are those that have unity and coherence, those that can (and must) be listned fully so they can be appreciated (I mean, that's what progressive rock's all about!).

Bronze goes to Trick of the Tail, the quartet's big surprise and IMHO better work. Great songwriting, great production, nice balance of progressive and pop elements, no weak songs. Pity the group lost Gabriel's theatricality.

Silver goes to Foxtrot which surely must have been one of the most exciting new sounds of that year (come on: Watcher is more thrilling than Close to the Edge) and one of the most original albums of the genre. Supper's Ready rules, but Can-Utility is always underrated. (Nursery could also be silver, but Foxtrot is a more polished "version" of the idea, if you know what I mean.)

Finally, gold must go to Selling England. Half of this poll confirms this opinion. Prime-time musicianship and composition. Wonderfully cryptic and spellbinding concept. The five members compliment one another perfectly: nobody dominates the scene. Cinema Show's final sequence (and Aisle of Plenty) can only be described as orgasmic.
duraznofeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #43 (permalink)
Andy Nicholson
GNC Forum User

Favourite Albums

Trespass - Back to where it all began!
Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - It may sound sad but my biggest regret in life is missing that tour having seen all the rest.
Seconds Out - For me it just captures all those magic memories of those live shows.
Andy Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #44 (permalink)
Andy Nicholson
GNC Forum User

Favourite Albums (Update)

As voting was studio albums only (see previous) my third vote went to Foxtrot.
Kinda gives my age away!!
See you all at Old Trafford
Andy Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #45 (permalink)
tomás (brave)
GNC Forum User

Cool

1 - Selling England...
2 - The Lamb Lies...
3 - Duke

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #46 (permalink)
DJD
GNC Forum User

W&W, TLLDOB & D

Duke is a real suprise for me. It is so well written and executed and was the last GREAT Genesis album. Dispite being a hit oriented album it features some of the best progressive material out there.

On a side note if I could take 1/2 of and 'And Then There Were Three' and half of 'Genesis' and put them together, that too would rank among the top but anyway.

W&W and TOTT are practically a double album both comming out in the same year both being the only releases post Peter to include Steve. They cary the same vibe and are a close tie. Though TOTT has some of my very favorate songs on it, it also has some awkwardness to it that distract me. W&W is a more well rounded album and it wins me over in it's subtalties. It also has hints of and is essentially the start of the new erra Genesis sound featuring all that is good and none that is bad of that sound. Replace 'In your own special way' with 'entangled' and this one is off the charts.

TLLDOB is simply eppic and has to be on the list.

Last edited by DJD : 03-16-2007 at 05:43 PM.
DJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:16 PM   #47 (permalink)
Squonkman

I have to pick Selling England, Trick of the Tail, and Wind and Wuthering because those are the albums I listen to most and have the most consistency as albums in my opinion. But that is not to slight The Lamb (a flawed masterpiece, missing only a great conclusion); Foxtrot (Watcher and Supper's Ready--my god, most bands don't do that well in their lifetimes); Nursery Cryme; and the great underrated albums---Then There Were Three, Duke and Trespass. Then There Were Three does not have that real long signature epic--I guess Burning Rope would be closest--but its dense sound is pleasing when I am in the right mood. Duke is also very underrated and is the last of the classic "old school" Genesis albums. From Abacab on, while I liked the more progressive tracks on each album, I found I liked the albums as an overall whole less. I think the song Abacab is a great live track, but that album as a whole is Genesis' weakest IMO.

Oh, and Calling All Stations is too criticized and is a very good album, best since Duke and thus has to now be considered underrated. Dividing Line, Uncertain Weather, There Must Be Some Other Way alone put it ahead of Abacab, Genesis (except Home by the Sea), IT, and WCD. Not About Us, Calling All Stations, One Man's Fool and even the last part of Alien Afternoon... people need to reconsider that album. Ray deserved a better fate, and they should have done a followup album.

Last edited by Squonkman : 03-16-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
Squonkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJD View Post

TLLDOB is simply eppic and has to be on the list.
TLLDOB??? It took me five minutes to figure out what the heck this guy was talking about. How bout simply, the Lamb? That's how most of us know it.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:47 AM   #49 (permalink)
RobbAssBatt
GNC Forum User

Location: I'll be the GEEK in DC (Poor Little) NEMO T-Shirt or a LawnMower (u can tell me by the way I walk)
Send a message via AIM to RobbAssBatt
More votes, Please

I can imagine the percentiles changing substantially with a larger polling audience.
1969: Up
1997: Down

Wind & Wuthering is SO freaking amazing.

From Genesis to Revelation :
Who has a FIRST album showing this much promise?
Giant Nymphs and goblins playing,
scenes from a night's dream, poor Little Nemo!

ROBBeryASSaultBATTery DC407H14-17/Pitts,PA FLR 2, row K, seat 11

My First GENESIS concert.
28.03.1978 Binghamton New York
http://www.gobroomecounty.com/parks/...ertSeating.gif

A little Hockey Arena in UpState New York (Seven Thousand seats, max? General Admission. HEAVEN ! )
RobbAssBatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #50 (permalink)
madadayo
GNC Forum User

Hi !
1)The lamb lies down on Broadway
2)Selling England by the Pound
3)Foxtrot
madadayo is offline   Reply With Quote