How many times have members of Genesis collaborated outside of Genesis

• I was wondering if we could start a thread on collaborations between at least two members of Genesis, outside of the name "Genesis". For starters:

1. Anthony Phillips - Geese & Ghost (w/ Rutherford/Collins)

2. Mike Rutherford - Smallcreep's Day (w/ Phillips)

3. Steve Hackett - Out of the TUnnel's Mouth (w/ Phillips)

4. Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte (w/ Rutherford, Collins)

5. Peter Gabriel - PG3 (w/ Collins)

6. Soundtrack - The Shout (w/Rutherford/Banks)

7. Phil Collins - No Jacket Required (w/ Gabriel)

What did i miss??

NOTE: you could make a second list which includes contributions from Stuermer & Chester

NOTE: you could also make a list of live appearances together (e.g. Collins on Gabriel's tour; Gabriel/Rutherford at a Hackett show, etc.)

NOTE: Did Tony Banks not like to collaborate with anyone???

• Daryl has played on all but two of Phil's albums, Mike's Acting Very Strange and Tony's Still and The Fugitive. Obviously, Daryl has been a long-serving member of Phil's touring band, too and Chester has performed on all but three of his tours.

Phil played on Peter's third album but he also joined him on stage during his second tour while Peter sang on Take Me Home on No Jacket Required. I wish Peter and Phil had collaborated more but there you go. Together they helped invent the gated drum sound that became "the" drum sound of the eighties (kudos to Nick Launay, Steve Liliywhite and Hugh Padgham) so that alone has proven to be the most significant of all the collaborations outside of Genesis.

• This is probably not a case of a real collaboration, but the soundtrack of „Against All Odds“ includes the following tracks:

1. Phil Collins - Against All Odds

2. Peter Gabriel - Walk Through The Fire

3. Mike Rutherford - A Big Mistake

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Mike Rutherford accompanied Anthony Phillips also on the "Scottish Suite" on Private Parts & Pieces 2 and also on various tracks that ended up on Archive 1 and Archive 2.

And no, Tony worked only on Genesis albums on his own solo albums, being asked about collaborations he repeatedly stated he would be a bad collaborator, meaning he always wants things his way.

• Good catch on the Mike & Mechanics "Black and Blue" track. We could start another list where we talk about songs that started as a Genesis song and ended up on a solo album (e.g. Black & Blue).

• Good catch on the Mike & Mechanics "Black and Blue" track. We could start another list where we talk about songs that started as a Genesis song and ended up on a solo album (e.g. Black & Blue).

I didn't know Black And Blue started out as a Genesis track! I know A Call To Arms on the first Mechanics album was written by Tony, Phil and Mike, presumably with the intention of using it as a Genesis track.

• I didn't know Black And Blue started out as a Genesis track! I know A Call To Arms on the first Mechanics album was written by Tony, Phil and Mike, presumably with the intention of using it as a Genesis track.

That's right. A Call to Arms also started out as a Genesis track (the 1983 s/t Genesis album i believe). Good catch. Black & Blue started out as a jam by Genesis while working on Invisible Touch. Not only is it a Genesis track, it actually has Phil Collins playing the drums and i believe Rutherford on guitar. Guitar/Drum jam.

• That's right. A Call to Arms also started out as a Genesis track (the 1983 s/t Genesis album i believe). Good catch. Black & Blue started out as a jam by Genesis while working on Invisible Touch. Not only is it a Genesis track, it actually has Phil Collins playing the drums and i believe Rutherford on guitar. Guitar/Drum jam.

I really never knew this about Black And Blue although I did wonder how Tony and Phil ended up playing on it (I think Phil plays a hi-hat and Tony plays the organ). I'd always just assumed that Mike asked the two of them to play on a Mechanics track just for the hell of it. What I'd give to hear the original jam of A Call To Arms from the Mama album sessions!

• I really never knew this about Black And Blue although I did wonder how Tony and Phil ended up playing on it (I think Phil plays a hi-hat and Tony plays the organ). I'd always just assumed that Mike asked the two of them to play on a Mechanics track just for the hell of it. What I'd give to hear the original jam of A Call To Arms from the Mama album sessions!

so Tony & Phil didn't join the M&tM sessions. Instead, around 1987 when Rutherford was writing new songs for Living Years, he remembered a fun jam that he, Phil and Tony did during the Invisible Touch sessions. It turns out they had a raw recording of it (demo sounding) and so Rutherford figured he could write a song around that jam. So Mike takes the recording and puts it on an infinite loop, and then creates a new song on top of the recording. When the track starts, you just hear Phil, Tony and Mike jamming, but then the Mike & Mechanics band joins in (with fuller sounding instrumentation) and the song takes off. So technically speaking, Phil & Tony didn't play with the Mechanics during the Living Years sessions, but they can be heard via that recording...

• Here's a unique one: the Anthony Phillips track "Fantomas Opening Theme" (recorded 1973), released in 2004 on ARCHIVE COLLECTION VOLUME 2, features John Silver on drums!

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• so Tony & Phil didn't join the M&tM sessions. Instead, around 1987 when Rutherford was writing new songs for Living Years, he remembered a fun jam that he, Phil and Tony did during the Invisible Touch sessions. It turns out they had a raw recording of it (demo sounding) and so Rutherford figured he could write a song around that jam. So Mike takes the recording and puts it on an infinite loop, and then creates a new song on top of the recording. When the track starts, you just hear Phil, Tony and Mike jamming, but then the Mike & Mechanics band joins in (with fuller sounding instrumentation) and the song takes off. So technically speaking, Phil & Tony didn't play with the Mechanics during the Living Years sessions, but they can be heard via that recording...

Brilliant! The Living Years is one of my favourite Mechanics albums. I remember a lot of friends of mine at the time felt that album was the closest that any of the individual members had got to sounding like Genesis. It has that mix of straight pop and more involved stuff that Genesis did so well in the eighties.