Genesis News Com - Home

» Facebook | Twitter
find us on
Follow genesis_news on Twitter Join Genesis News Com on Facebook

Go Back   Genesis News Com Forum | International Message Board > INSIDE and OUT > OFF TOPIC
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OFF TOPIC Discuss everything NOT related to Genesis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Danlaw83
GNC Forum User

Send a message via AIM to Danlaw83 Send a message via MSN to Danlaw83 Send a message via Yahoo to Danlaw83 Send a message via Skype™ to Danlaw83
IGNORANCE or OPINION

What's the story??? I feel that censorship has gone above normalcy for the 7 people who actually post on this forum. I also believe if you want to be treated a certain way, you should treat others the same. The reason why things have gone the way they have gone is because of the way things are said on this board. Again it isn't waht you say it is how you say it. If your joking around use your damned smilies, if your not and you have an opinion be prepared to defend it or, like in real life, keep it to yourself!

"After all, you're not what you thought you were at all
You're just a natural fact, another Cul-De-Sac
On nature's hard unfeeling trail"

http://www.tonylayneshow.com
Danlaw83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Visionsofangels
GNC Forum User

Hear! Hear!

Well said Danny Boy and Well said Jebs....I Love my Genesis (yahoo) forum friends....You guys & TinaS 'Rock'
It's good to know that no matter how far apart we are...we'll always watch each others backs, No need for flame wars on here, we can all be friends with old & new members...God bless you all.

What would you think if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

What do I do when my love is away
(Does it worry you to be alone?)
How do I feel by the end of the day,
(Are you sad because you're on your own?)

No, I get by with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody
I need somebody to love
Could it be anybody
I want somebody to love.

Would you believe in a love at first sight
Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time
What do you see when you turn out the light
I can't tell you but I know it's mine,

Do you need anybody
I just need someone to love
Could it be anybody
I want somebody to love.

With a little help from my friends.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
martinus
Administrator
Site Admin

If you voice an opinion, try and make it clear that is is an opinion.

If you post something as a fact, be prepared that someone may challenge that fact. If the fact is likely to be controversial (e.g. "Peter Gabriel was actually a woman until 1974") try and prove your point.

If you want to comment, by all means do. But comment on the topic, not on the posters.

Be aware what smilies can and can't do. The sentence "You are stupid" does not change its content by simply adding a . It remains an insult.

"Friendly banter" works best when you can hear the speaking person's tone of voice, see their facial expression and body language. On an internet forum you do not have these aids, so be aware that you may be misunderstood. Try to minimize these occasions because they are what really breeds bad blood.

The forum rules still apply, of course.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
AeroZach
GNC Forum User

Send a message via AIM to AeroZach
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinus View Post
Be aware what smilies can and can't do. The sentence "You are stupid" does not change its content by simply adding a . It remains an insult.
I'm gonna argue this one, minimally.

If Jebs and I are in a discussion, he says something about catching the Mama Tour and starts bragging about it, and I say "You're an ass" whilst adding a smiley next to it, he should understand I'm kidding. If there's a newbie who does the same thing, chances are I'll say the same thing, but add a "Just kidding, friend" at the end of it.

So yeah, I can see a need for limits, but there can also be exceptions.

I love my friends around here, feels like a second family, to be honest. From Philly to Canada to the UK, it's a very close relationship we all have. I'm sure all of us can tell when we're messing around with each other, but I do think extra caution should be taken with newbs who come here in peace. I know in my first couple days here if someone called me an ass I'd probably not come back, unless caution was taken with a "just kidding" or something.

If a newb starts an argument, however, insulting one's intelligence among other things, one has to defend themselves or their friends. We'd experienced this in the past. The whole cautious measures idea kinda loses merit when those things happen.

And PMs are nice. I've solved plenty of disputes on other forums through that. Very convenient, personal way to deal with things one-on-one. If one doesn't want to give, there's an ignore button (I think). Of course if you're like me and enjoy conflict every now and then, you probably won't be using it

Take it for what it's worth, just calling it as I sees it.

Genesis Shows Attended:

October 2, 2007 Chicago, IL (United Center)
October 4, 2007 Chicago, IL (United Center)

"This is different. We're not supporting an album or product. This is just for fun. We don't have to do this. It's just for fun." -Phil Collins, on 97.9 the Loop, 10/2/07
AeroZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Danlaw83
GNC Forum User

Send a message via AIM to Danlaw83 Send a message via MSN to Danlaw83 Send a message via Yahoo to Danlaw83 Send a message via Skype™ to Danlaw83
In the words of Eric Cartman, "screw you guys!"

Old 06-26-2008, 11:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
martinus
Administrator
Site Admin

Zach, you have a point there. Still it is easy for these things to get out of control. Plus - you know and the one you said it to knows, but the next hundred people who read the thread don't. They'll just not some rough language on this forum - and probably be scared away.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Danlaw83
GNC Forum User

So let us put it out there, let us not get half answers, or shrouded comments, do you think it is our fault?

Old 06-27-2008, 02:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
AeroZach
GNC Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebho62 View Post
The biggest problem I have observed is that somebody always has to be sucking up and apologizing or the pressing button threat comes out. I think that we - the regulars - have been more than adequate at censoring ourselves and keeping our posts out of the gutter. I have no idea what other forums are like but I think this one has been fairly civilized except when somebody comes along and posts things that appear to have no other purpose than to entice a flame war - or are directly intended to hurt others feelings. Then if/when we stand up we always seem to be the ones who have to apologize and I've yet to have anyone apologize to me - nor would I expect it or ask for it. Not for the sake of just trying to express our deep rooted feelings about this band. But I will be damned if I am gonna sit back and watch anyone come on here and just start slagging Genesis...if you don't like the band....buzz off and go post on your favorite bands forum and leave us alone. And no, I'm not in the camp that thinks Genesis has never made any mistakes but they are a damn good band that never failed to entertain their fans and what is wrong with that???
Jebs I agree whole-heartedly.

Listen Marty, and this isn't intended on being a bash of ANY kind, but I'm 100% honest when I say that this forum is the most civilized board I've ever been a part of. Don't believe me? Check out my other forums if you're interested in being linked. This place already has a very classy group of people, so I honestly don't think it's necessary to reference the forum rules as often as you do. That's just me, so take it for what it's worth. But I'm afraid to even cuss on this forum because I feel I'd be disturbing a pretty solid peace already. I think there should be less concern about breaking forum rules because believe me, I've seen SO much worse on other boards. Not even close to the worst I've seen on here.

And Jebs is right. We have been accused as the ones breaking forum rules and are often referenced towards them, but it's kinda insulting to us as big Genesis fans when someone comes into this forum saying Phil can't drum how he used to and saying he can do better than Phil, yet refusing to post any proof of it whatsoever. I think it should be against forum rules to simply walk into this place and start making claims to entice some kind of fire. And yeah, I will say some posts against new members come off strong and I can't say I agree with that 100%, but what can I say? These guys are passionate about this band. It's admirable, I say.

I think us regulars do a fine job watching ourselves. Sometimes, however, I feel I'm watching myself too closely. See what I'm getting at here? And I like you Marty, you're a tremendous mod and I'm not just kissing arse here. I've run forums in the past and always wanted to have a mod such as yourself. I just think sometimes there's a little too much protection towards new members and we get framed as bad guys a little too often, when in the longrun it's us who have kept this place afloat. And I DO believe that.

As I keep saying, that's just me. Take or leave. It isn't an open bash on you or anyone here. Just trying to add my two cents, is all.

Genesis Shows Attended:

"This is different. We're not supporting an album or product. This is just for fun. We don't have to do this. It's just for fun." -Phil Collins, on 97.9 the Loop, 10/2/07

Last edited by AeroZach : 06-27-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
AeroZach
GNC Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebho62 View Post
Well said Zach. Are you sure you're only 16? Very cool and classy young man yourself! I was not taking a shot at the mod either...I think he is a stand-up guy!
Thanks dude. I can always count on you for a compliment!

I know you weren't taking a shot at the mod, nor was anyone else here. Just stating that because I know I took a hard stance about a few issues and didn't want to seem like I was insulting the policy around here.

I just think there's room for a looser chain around here. I've never been on a forum that referenced rules as much as I see here. It's not a bad thing trying to maintain order, as I said, I've done webmastering myself. I just think there are other ways it can be done, thus not making it appear to newer members that the place is so strict. I for one do not think it's strict, however, newer members may preceive it as such with being told to look at forum rules if they're involved in a somewhat aggressive disagreement.

I'm not saying let the place run wild. That's nonsense! Nor am I questioning the way the forum is handled. I just think that there are some other ways to maintain order and still be able to loosen the leash, if you will. It's your call, since you have the power and I don't. But it's just a friendly suggestion from a regular

Genesis Shows Attended:

Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Danlaw83
GNC Forum User

I agree with Jeb about Agreeing with AZ and I agree with AZ. And thats the way it is, IMO! If you really think we are the reason that the forum is dying, LONG LIVE DAJA (danlaw, AeroZach,Jebs, and Angels)