Genesis News Com - Home

» Facebook | Twitter
find us on
Follow genesis_news on Twitter Join Genesis News Com on Facebook

Go Back   Genesis News Com Forum | International Message Board > INSIDE and OUT > Other BANDS and ARTISTS of INTEREST
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other BANDS and ARTISTS of INTEREST Discuss everything about other Bands and Artists NOT related to GENESIS like The Who, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 02:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Smashed Bottle Man
GNC Forum User

Surprised nobody on here's mentioned Spock's Beard Yet!

Spock's Beard are a great Prog Rock band that have been around since te early nineties. The reason I'm surprised not to have seen their name on here before now is that not only does their music share some similarities with Genesis' but their drummer, Nick D'Virgilio actually played on some of Calling All Stations! They also mimicked Genesis'career (not deliberately) when their lead singer left following the release of an epic double concept album ('Snow' - well worth a listen) to be replaced by... yes you've guessed it, drummer Nick D'virgilio!

Anyway aside from all that SB is a great band and I would recommend albums 'The Light', 'Snow' (see above) and last year's eponymous release. You won't be disappointed!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
RobbAssBatt
GNC Forum User

Location: I'll be the GEEK in DC (Poor Little) NEMO T-Shirt or a LawnMower (u can tell me by the way I walk)
Send a message via AIM to RobbAssBatt
Wink With a small amount of certitude:

this dude recalls other threads some months ago which did in fact mention Spocks Beard.

[sarcasm:As a child, I always remember Leonard Nimoy being clean shaven...]
Giant Nymphs and goblins playing,
scenes from a night's dream, poor Little Nemo!

ROBBeryASSaultBATTery DC407H14-17/Pitts,PA FLR 2, row K, seat 11

My First GENESIS concert.
28.03.1978 Binghamton New York
http://www.gobroomecounty.com/parks/...ertSeating.gif

A little Hockey Arena in UpState New York (Seven Thousand seats, max? General Admission. HEAVEN ! )
RobbAssBatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Smashed Bottle Man
GNC Forum User

Sorry, didn't see that.

I meant to put in my post that although I hadn't seen any posts about SB I could have missed one but forgot. Ah well, at least this one draws a little more attention to itself!

Last edited by Smashed Bottle Man : 06-15-2007 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Something I wrote was in fact rubbish!
Smashed Bottle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
frippneno
GNC Forum User

I never heard any of there music , but members over at the floyd camp mentioned them. As a first listen , what would you recomend ?
frippneno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
RobbAssBatt
GNC Forum User

Location: I'll be the GEEK in DC (Poor Little) NEMO T-Shirt or a LawnMower (u can tell me by the way I walk)
Send a message via AIM to RobbAssBatt
Jump on it, Squonkman !

Quote:
Originally Posted by frippneno View Post
I never heard any of there music , but members over at the floyd camp mentioned them. As a first listen , what would you recomend ?
Jump on it, Squonkman ! Have you knowledge?
Giant Nymphs and goblins playing,
scenes from a night's dream, poor Little Nemo!

ROBBeryASSaultBATTery DC407H14-17/Pitts,PA FLR 2, row K, seat 11

My First GENESIS concert.
28.03.1978 Binghamton New York
http://www.gobroomecounty.com/parks/...ertSeating.gif

A little Hockey Arena in UpState New York (Seven Thousand seats, max? General Admission. HEAVEN ! )
RobbAssBatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Squonkman

I have a few of their albums, I think the last I picked up was that double concept album Snow. I think I have Beware of Darkness too.

I don't know. I am not the best person to ask about Spock's Beard because for some reason they just didn't take root for me, which is odd since they have obvious Genesis influences. I started listening to some stuff about the same time I discovered Flower Kings and Porcupine Tree, and the latter two had immediate impact, and SB just didn't stick as well. It seemed as they were trying to hard, being too derivative, I don't know. I probably need to listen again and give them a fair shot, I know there's some good stuff there, but I can't put my finger on it.

Their drummer D'Virgilo of course drummed on Calling All Stations, so now there is a direct Genesis connection (as pointed out by the OP) see the first post for recommendations.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Smashed Bottle Man
GNC Forum User

Been looking at posts on the forum for a while now but not felt the urge to post myself until I saw that someone had posted on my old thread re Spock's Beard. Funny actually as what Squonkman said about SB I actually had the same experince with the Flower Kings. Being a SB fan decided to try Flower Kings but still struggling to get into them.
Anyway, as for recommendations, try The Light (debut album), Snow (double concept) and Spock's Beard (latest album and D'Virgilio's best vocal performance yet).
Hey Squonkman, have you heard any Transatlantic? I've still not got round to them yet but the lineup was Neal Morse from SB, Roine Stolt from FK, Pete Trewavas from Marillion and the drummer from Dream Theatre (whose name escapes me at the minute). Just wondered what your opinion of them was as you seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to prog bands (Porcupine Tree and Pure Reason Revolution).
Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Sir_drummer
GNC Forum User

Oh hell yeah. I love the Great Nothing. V is a awesome album. Go the way You Go is great too.
Sir_drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
martinus
Administrator
Site Admin

Just thought I'd mention that Nick d'Virgilio did not only drum on CAS, he also did a great job of recording a new version of The Lamb (called Re-Wiring Genesis).

I'll check what's on youtube. Money's a bit short this month what with The Scratch My Back Box and all.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sir_drummer
GNC Forum User

I would Recomend the Album V. The Great Nothing is one of their best songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frippneno View Post
Sir_drummer is offline   Reply With Quote