Genesis News Com - Home

» Facebook | Twitter
find us on
Follow genesis_news on Twitter Join Genesis News Com on Facebook

Go Back   Genesis News Com Forum | International Message Board > INSIDE and OUT > Other BANDS and ARTISTS of INTEREST
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other BANDS and ARTISTS of INTEREST Discuss everything about other Bands and Artists NOT related to GENESIS like The Who, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 05:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
jebho62
GNC Forum User

Exclamation Trans Siberian Orchestra

With Christmas season just around the corner, I thought I'd just mention that this band(s) is again touring US and Canada starting Nov.1 in Youngstown, OH. I saw them for the first time last year. Although I have listened to the Christmas Trilogy for years and years I never heard about them touring until last year. They were brought to my attention after the first pass of the R. Waters DSOTM tour (someone was handing out mini flyers on the way out of show). I was very, very impressed by the three hour show these guys put on. The first part was a presentation of Christmas Eve and Other Stories rock opera, followed by a presentation of various classical tunes (can you say Heavy Metal version of Flight of the Bumblebee) as well as some opera, Christmas songs and some tunes by TSO themselves. I have to say that I've been to a lot of concerts in my life, but would qualify the Light/Pyro/Laser show these guys put on as among the best I ever have witnessed (and some sweet backup singers as well...hear me guys). The light show is painfully bright at times. I am bringing sunglasses to the Nov. 24 show in Hamilton. Get your tickets soon before they are sold out. This band evolved out of old melodic metal band Savatage. They play east and west coast simultaneously, as they have two separate touring bands. Tickets are in the $34-$50 range. Turn your speakers way up and click link below for a sample of TSO.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Official Site
Official Ticketmaster site. Trans-Siberian Orchestra tickets, concerts and tour dates
Official Ticketmaster site. Trans-Siberian Orchestra tickets, concerts and tour dates
jebho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
TinaS
GNC Forum User

I saw this show a few years back and may I say, it was amazing! I was blown away. I recommend highly for everyone to see them. Some of the songs sounded as if Emerson, Lake and Palmer were playing. Strictly amazing!

"Shedding Ever Changing Colours, In The Darkness Of The Fading Light"
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Squonkman

I have seen some of this 'group' on PBS etc. I have to admit, its just too much for me. When it comes to Christmas, I guess I am more of a traditionalist. While I can see why it would be appealing, to me it was like a Disney Christmas on Steroids---everything to excess, loud and bombastic. I guess give me the Nutcracker with a traditional orchestra instead. Just not my cup o tea.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Squonkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebho62 View Post
Guess you didn't like the Waters show or Pink Floyd Delicate or Pulse tours either eh? No bombast there........right. I did love The Nutcracker though (better than Phantom of the Opera, Mama Mia...but not The Lion King).

Sorry, I wouldn't compare Waters/Gilmour to TSO, no more than I would compare Frank Sinatra to Micheal Buble. Also, the Pink Floyd stuff is original material meant to be played that way by the original artists. Bombast for the sake of being bombastic is different than true art.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
TinaS
GNC Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squonkman View Post
I have seen some of this 'group' on PBS etc. I have to admit, its just too much for me. When it comes to Christmas, I guess I am more of a traditionalist. While I can see why it would be appealing, to me it was like a Disney Christmas on Steroids---everything to excess, loud and bombastic. I guess give me the Nutcracker with a traditional orchestra instead. Just not my cup o tea.
Now come on, it was not that bad? Like I said, some of their songs resembled Emerson, Lake and Palmer tunes. I thought that it was a different kind of Christmas tradition. Although, like you, I am a traditionalist at heart.
Go Bing Crosby!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Squonkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaS View Post
Now come on, it was not that bad? Like I said, some of their songs resembled Emerson, Lake and Palmer tunes. I thought that it was a different kind of Christmas tradition. Although, like you, I am a traditionalist at heart.
Go Bing Crosby!

I didn't say it was bad. I just said from what I have seen it is excessive and bombastic and just not my cup of tea.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Visionsofangels
GNC Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaS View Post
Go Bing Crosby!
Perry Como.............. ahh, T'was the night before christmas when all through the house, not a creature was stirring not even a mouse..............
Childhood memories of listening to ol' perry on LP reading that tale, I read that same story to my kids now
I'm forever the traditionalist love it
Old 10-22-2007, 02:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Squonkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionsofangels View Post
Perry Como.............. ahh, T'was the night before christmas when all through the house, not a creature was stirring not even a mouse..............
Childhood memories of listening to ol' perry on LP reading that tale, I read that same story to my kids now
I'm forever the traditionalist love it

My favorite Cds to listen to around Christmas are the Time-Life Treasury of Christmas Cds, with all the best original traditional songs collected in one place. Just a great cd collection. And I admit, I am a sucker for the Carpenter's version of Christmas songs, like Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...etc. Karen Carpenter's voice just melts me.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
TinaS
GNC Forum User

Actually, my mom always played Andy Williams a lot at Christmas. Andy and Byrle Ives. On the female side was always Barbara Streisand.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Visionsofangels
GNC Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squonkman View Post
My favorite Cds to listen to around Christmas are the Time-Life Treasury of Christmas Cds, with all the best original traditional songs collected in one place. Just a great cd collection. And I admit, I am a sucker for the Carpenter's version of Christmas songs, like Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...etc. Karen Carpenter's voice just melts me.
The Carpenters are fantastic i love them. & i know what you mean about Karen Carpenter
Now she did have the voice of an angel.

The old christamas tunes are the best, Dean martin, Bing crosby, Nat 'king' cole, Matt monro, the list is endless
Another favourite of mine is Steeleye Span "Gaudete" all classics
Gee now im in the mood for christmas!!