Genesis News Com - Home

» Facebook | Twitter
find us on
Follow genesis_news on Twitter Join Genesis News Com on Facebook

Go Back   Genesis News Com Forum | International Message Board > INSIDE and OUT > Other BANDS and ARTISTS of INTEREST
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other BANDS and ARTISTS of INTEREST Discuss everything about other Bands and Artists NOT related to GENESIS like The Who, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
earlofmar07
GNC Forum User

Starcastle from the 70s was from Illinois and a Yesish prog type of band.

eom07
earlofmar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Squonkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlofmar07 View Post
Starcastle from the 70s was from Illinois and a Yesish prog type of band.

eom07

yep, I mentioned them earlier, from Champaign Illinois if I remember right, probably met at the U of I. Alot of bands from the 70s were from the midwest that made it big for awhile. REO Speedwagon was also from right around the Champaign area weren't they? Styx came from the Chicago area. Ozark Mountain Daredevils and Head East both came from southern Missouri, Kansas of course from eastern Kansas just down the road. There was a good country rock group called Heartsfield that was real popular here that came from Chicago and Minnesota, and Gypsy was kind of a proggy psychedelic band from the Minnesota area.

oh, forgot Cheap Trick from Rockford IL too.....

Last edited by Squonkman : 10-30-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
jebho62
GNC Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squonkman View Post
yep, I mentioned them earlier, from Champaign Illinois if I remember right, probably met at the U of I. Alot of bands from the 70s were from the midwest that made it big for awhile. REO Speedwagon was also from right around the Champaign area weren't they? Styx came from the Chicago area. Ozark Mountain Daredevils and Head East both came from southern Missouri, Kansas of course from eastern Kansas just down the road. There was a good country rock group called Heartsfield that was real popular here that came from Chicago and Minnesota, and Gypsy was kind of a proggy psychedelic band from the Minnesota area.

oh, forgot Cheap Trick from Rockford IL too.....
And on another note...Best in Class...Decatur Illinois' own....Alison Krauss & Union Station...this is what America does best and I defy anyone to deny that Union Station has some of the best instrumentalists in the world, bar none, whetether you like the genre or not...I bluegrass and Willie Nelson, Steve Earl, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch & David Rawlings, Ryan Adams and Whiskeytown and of course Johnny Cash and Associates. I can't believe I just posted this on Genesis forum...but I felt compelled. These are the real American artists playing real American music IMHO. Check out Robert Plant and Alison Kraus' new album Raising Sand.
jebho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Squonkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebho62 View Post
And on another note...Best in Class...Decatur Illinois' own....Alison Krauss & Union Station...this is what America does best and I defy anyone to deny that Union Station has some of the best instrumentalists in the world, bar none, whetether you like the genre or not...I bluegrass and Willie Nelson, Steve Earl, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch & David Rawlings, Ryan Adams and Whiskeytown and of course Johnny Cash and Associates. I can't believe I just posted this on Genesis forum...but I felt compelled. These are the real American artists playing real American music IMHO. Check out Robert Plant and Alison Kraus' new album Raising Sand.
I am also a big fan of "alt country" or Americana. I have seen Alison Kraus and Union Station in concert, what a voice and great musicians. I have also seen Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams live, and I will throw Neko Case and the Sadies in there, who actually originally hail from Canada I believe. Also a big Jayhawks fan, Uncle Tupelo (from St Louis!) who grew into Wilco and Son Volt, and I will throw an Australian who fits right in with an amazing voice--Kasey Chambers.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Squonkman

Going back to Kansas, I have really been revisiting my Kansas Cds lately, and they were truly head and shoulders above any other American progressive rock band. It doesn't get any better than Icarus, The Pinnacle and The Wall, as well as gems like Miracles Out of Nowhere, On the Other Side etc. I am no doubt attracted to Kansas by the writing of Kerry Livgren, who penned most of the classics, and who definitely wrote with a spiritual emphasis. Its no accident I like progressive rock due to its tackling of the big theme ideas and quest for spiritual meaning and depth---see Suppers Ready--Genesis, Awaken--Yes, Stardust We Are or There is More to this World--Flower Kings etc.

On Kansas' 30th Anniversary Box Set there is a DVD with live performances from the Don Kirshner Rock Concert show, which I grew up watching and was manna from heaven for me in my teen years. They do blistering definitive versions of Icarus and The Pinnacle from that show, circa 1974 or 75, fantastic stuff, no lip synching, the way live rock music was meant to be played. A goofy looking bunch, but man could they play....and write:

Kansas - The Pinnacle Lyrics

(Kerry Livgren)
I've so much to say, and yet I cannot speak
Come and do my bidding now for I have grown too weak
My weary eyes have seen all that life can give
Come to me, O young one, for you I can forgive

I stood where no man goes, and conquered demon foes
With glory and passion no longer in fashion
The hero breaks his blade

Cast this shadow long that I may hide my face
And in this cloak of darkness the world I will embrace
In all that I endure, of one thing I am sure
Knowledge and reason change like the season
A jester's promenade

Lying at my feet I see the offering you bring
The mark of Cain is on our faces, borne of suffering
O, I long to see you say it's not been wrong
I stand before you now, a riddle in my song
The answer is that sweet refrain
Unheard it always will remain
Beyond our reach, beyond our gain

Trapped in life's parade, a king without a crown
In this joy of madness, my smile might seem a frown
With talons wrought of steel, I tore the heart of doom
And in one gleaming moment I saw beyond the tomb
I stood where no man goes, above the din I rose
Life is amusing though we are losing
Drowned in tears of awe.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
TinaS
GNC Forum User

Its funny you speak of Kansas. A while back I asked a radio station to play "The Wall" by Kansas and they kept insisting that there was no such song that only Floyd had that tune. Disqusted, I told them to look on Left Overture and it was after Dust in the Wind. They still never played it. What a bunch of smucks!

"Shedding Ever Changing Colours, In The Darkness Of The Fading Light"
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
brianos
GNC Forum User

Gotta be Kansas!
Tina, The Wall is one of my Kansas favs! but it comes right after Carry On Wayward Son on Leftoverture... Dust in the Wind is on Point of Know Return. My 2 favorite Kansas albums!
brianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
LeSaar
GNC Forum User

Thumbs up Pentwater : American Progressive Rock!

Please consider PENTWATER as one of the leading American progressive bands.
They’ve been around since 1969, predating ELP, Gentle Giant and Kansas.
Released 3 albums that span a range of progressive styles like “Symphonic”,
“Space”, “Math”, and just plain hard-rock. Their most recent CD came out just last year. Kinda hard to categorize, but they’ve got a layered sound and use quite a few instruments along the way. They’re still writing and recording, but not touring anymore. Check out the write-up and long samples at: www.CDBaby.com/cd/Pentwater3 or their home site: www.PentwaterMusic.com for a history & timeline of the band. I guess they never got the shot at a big label, but that hasn’t stopped their creativity in their own studio. Often overlooked, I’d say. www.Myspace.com/Pentwater also has their story.

- Ron
LeSaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
raeltheduke
GNC Forum User

Wink Best prog bands (US & Canada)

STARCASTLE - GLASS HAMMER - CAIRO

On the USA side, and giving credit where it is due for the Canadian side:

R U S H - S A G A - F M

The path is clear
Though no eyes can see
The course laid down long before.

raeltheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
jebho62
GNC Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeltheduke View Post
STARCASTLE - GLASS HAMMER - CAIRO

On the USA side, and giving credit where it is due for the Canadian side:

R U S H - S A G A - F M
Wow - a Saga/FM fan? I used to see them play together all the time. You must be a transplanted Canuck? What about solo Nash The Slash?
jebho62 is offline   Reply With Quote