Genesis News Com - Home

» Facebook | Twitter
find us on
Follow genesis_news on Twitter Join Genesis News Com on Facebook

Go Back   Genesis News Com Forum | International Message Board > SOLO CARREERS > PHIL COLLINS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PHIL COLLINS Discuss everything about Phil's solo work (including BRAND X, FLAMING YOUTH and his BIG BAND, recent activity, upcoming releases and his back-catalogue!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 07:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
JerseyJoker
GNC Forum User

Phil Collins Vocals on Non-Genesis/non-solo recordings

Hi there -- it's been a few days (life's distractions...!)

I was listening to a Brand X album recently, "Product". This album has two songs on it on which Phil Collins sings: "Don't Make Waves" and "Soho" (he drums on these, too). These are REALLY excellent songs! But after listening to them, and with Jeff Slater's recent announcement of the old track, "Lying, Crying, Dying", I began thinking of other non-Genesis or non-Solo songs on which Collins contributes NOT his drum skills (there are so many!), but specifically lead vocals, and came up with this list (I'll omit the Jeff Slater & Brand X tracks, and the Flaming Youth material, too):

"Star Of Sirius" - Voyage Of The Acolyte (Steve Hackett)
"Which Way The Wind Blows"
"God If I Saw Her Now"
"Silver Song" - all from "The Geese & The Ghost (Ant Phillips)
"Deep Green" - Skinningrove Bay (Jack Lancaster)
I'll stop here to discuss this one. "Deep Green" might be the most obscure track on the list. It's not mentioned in the discography, "Genesis: Turn It On Again", which lists a whole bunch of recordings Collins was a part of. I don't know a lot about it, but I have a copy of the album "Skinningrove Bay", which has a date of 1981. Lancaster is credited with writing it, and it's kind of a slow, progressive ballad -- it appears to be the only one on the album that involves Collins. The album contains a lot of guests, including two other vocalists, but this is the ONE track where the vocals really stand out as GOOD. I'm not even sure I could peg the genre of the music ON this record -- I guess overall it's a combination of "progressive" and "easy-listening" (if that makes any sense!) I also have this on CD, called "Wild Connections" (!!), with NO mention of Jack Lancaster on the cover, and Collin's picture on the cover, to capitalize on his fame. And I remember reading about a 1-sided single of "Deep Green" being advertised in Goldmine magazine years ago! Anyone else aware of this track (DanLaw, if you read this, would you want me to MP3 this to you?)

Anyway, to continue on with the obvious:
"Easy Lover" - Chinese Wall (Phillip Bailey)

I imagine there are more that I've omitted from this list -- can anyone help "Phil" in the blanks?

Jersey Joker
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Visionsofangels
GNC Forum User

Off the top of my head the only other one i can think of is...

Phil & Marilyn Martin singing the American #1 power ballad duet "Separate Lives" from the dance movie 'White Nights' 1985
Old 04-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
martinus
Administrator
Site Admin

Simon & Phil, Pride.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
JerseyJoker
GNC Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionsofangels View Post
Off the top of my head the only other one i can think of is...

Phil & Marilyn Martin singing the American #1 power ballad duet "Separate Lives" from the dance movie 'White Nights' 1985
Yeah, Visions, that's one I probably should have mentioned, although I had considered that one part of Phil's solo career. I associate it with No Jacket Required, since it was released around the same time as that album, and it has B-sides from the album ("Only You Know & I Know" in the UK, and "I Don't Wanna Know" in the US) -- although the A-side wasn't on the album.

There was also the track by Frida, "Something Going On", but there are no lead vocals from Phil -- only backing vocals, if any. Typical Phil Collin's 80's production, though (I DID like that song at the time it was released).
Old 05-01-2009, 04:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
JerseyJoker
GNC Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinus View Post
Simon & Phil, Pride.
Thanks Martin - THAT'S one I was entirely unaware of, from Simon's album "All Of Who You Are", 1999. Never heard it, or any of Simon's stuff -- is it any good?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
jebho62
GNC Forum User

Burn Down The Mission from "Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin".
jebho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
martinus
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoker View Post
Thanks Martin - THAT'S one I was entirely unaware of, from Simon's album "All Of Who You Are", 1999. Never heard it, or any of Simon's stuff -- is it any good?
At least here in Europe, one of the songs played during the pre-show music of the TIOA tour was his cover of Keep It Dark, which sounded quite good. I haven't checked out his original music, either, but they it is actually worth it. It's supposedly harder, edgier than what his old man does.

edit: There are a number of Simon Collins videos on youtube, for example:

YouTube - Keep it Dark - Simon Collins

YouTube - Simon Collins - Pride

YouTube - Simon Collins
Old 05-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Andrew Hamer
GNC Forum User

Phil did a duet with Frida, "here we are, here we stay" but strangely its single release was Frida vocal only without Phil: commercial suicide as it would have been massive!
Andrew Hamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
JerseyJoker
GNC Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebho62 View Post
Burn Down The Mission from "Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin".
YES, Jeb ... totally blanked on that one! Got it, too -- I just forgot.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
JerseyJoker
GNC Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinus View Post
At least here in Europe, one of the songs played during the pre-show music of the TIOA tour was his cover of Keep It Dark, which sounded quite good. I haven't checked out his original music, either, but they it is actually worth it. It's supposedly harder, edgier than what his old man does.
Thanks Martin,

I got to check out the first 2 tracks ("Keep It Dark", "Pride") ... they're pretty good, actually. Also checked out "Unconditional". It's a trip to watch Simon, it's like going back in time sometimes, how he resembles his dad.

I guess Simon isn't a drummer, though ...? Didn't see any indication of it at all ... good vocalist, though!

Thanks for these! (I always forget to check out YouTube, I gotta remember not to forget ... !)