Genesis News Com - Home

» Facebook | Twitter
find us on
Follow genesis_news on Twitter Join Genesis News Com on Facebook

Go Back   Genesis News Com Forum | International Message Board > GENESIS > GENESIS Live: Tours and Live Shows > Turn It On Again - The Tour 2007
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turn It On Again - The Tour 2007 Discuss everything about the Reunion and the European and North American Tour 2007

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Squonkman

Genesis to be on VH1 Rock Honors Show

the official website states that Genesis will be honored on that VH1 Rock Honors Show. Apparantly you can buy tickets to it, but they neglected to tell us where the show is. I assume LA or New York. Finally some recognition from the music community. Maybe this will help get them closer to being inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame, which is long overdue, especially since they are now letting DJs and cheesy hair metal bands that are in drug rehab into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

They also say that 90% of the tickets have been sold to the first 8 US shows.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Christian
Administrator
Site Admin

Send a message via ICQ to Christian
not LV, it will be in LV

The Rock Honors Show will take place in Las Vegas - no venue has been confiremd yet

tickets won't be cheap! $125 up to $750...those include VIP package, after show party etc - epending on the price
they will also offer even more expensive tickets up to $25,000 (with a lot of exras...) - all benefits will go to VH-1's Save The Music Foundation

more info when we have it

Follow us on TWITTER
Become a liker of our FACEBOOK page
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squonkman

hey Christian, why don't you start a movement on your website to get Genesis put into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? If you and the other Genesis web site gurus pooled resources, we could maybe make some noise as a group. The head honcho for the Hall is Jann Wenner, that progressive rock hating dweeb who publishes Rolling Stone, and I think Robbie Roberston also has a say into who goes. I respect Robertson but its clear he doesn't like Prog Rock either. It seems kind of absurd that the music tastes of a few people can virtually ignore a whole genre of rock, and some of the best selling artists of all time (Genesis, Yes, Moody Blues, ELP, King Crimson, Kansas etc).
Old 03-25-2007, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
indigo72

well, that sounds like a good idea but at the same time I wonder how important this Hall Of Fame thing really is. I mean, look who's in already, maybe it's worth more NOT to be in
Old 03-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
TheWestSide
GNC Forum User

Agreed - this Hall Of Fame thing is not the same anymore. Like the grammy - it doesn't raise one's reputation to win one.
Wouldn't help if Genesis were in the hall of fame and I wouldn't like them anymore. It's imortant what the fans feel about it.
TheWestSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Harlequin

hey, despite all that - it would be nice to see that Genesis will be honored the way they deserve to be!
I can't believe it's always the Rolling Stones, Neil Young, stuff like that. Sounds very boring...maybe this VH-1 thing brings Genesis back into this hall of fame thing
Old 03-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Christian
Administrator
Site Admin

Send a message via ICQ to Christian
@ Squonkman: of course we can think about those things, but let's see what this VH-1 thing is about first. After that, we can still think of something

Follow us on TWITTER
Become a liker of our FACEBOOK page
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Squonkman

They have done a few of these "Rock Honors" things before--I think the last one honored Aerosmith, Def Leppard and a few others. Other musicians pay tribute by playing some of your songs, ideally by artists/groups that are influenced by the honored band. Then Genesis themselves play a short set of songs, maybe with guests playing with them. It will be interesting to see who plays their songs, and if anyone plays with them, since they are one of those bands that don't usually "jam" with others and the music requires precision.

I know the Hall of Fame thing won't change how I feel about Genesis of course, but it just irks me that they have ignored progressive rock altogether except for Pink Floyd. Genesis was eligible in what, 1994 or 1995 (25 years after their first album). They now have blown through the 70's and are inducting 80's bands. On top of that, Gabriel and Phil Collins probably also deserve individual induction based on their record sales/ popularity etc.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
duskie
GNC Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squonkman View Post
They now have blown through the 70's and are inducting 80's bands. On top of that, Gabriel and Phil Collins probably also deserve individual induction based on their record sales/ popularity etc.
very true. It was strange when only Phil was invited for Live Aid and none of them for Live8 - time to look at their bulk of work with some fresh ears and eyes!
duskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Squonkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskie View Post
very true. It was strange when only Phil was invited for Live Aid and none of them for Live8 - time to look at their bulk of work with some fresh ears and eyes!
Yep, I don't get why they didn't at least do Live Aid as a band. While they were not actively touring together at the time (the Mama tour was over), it wouldn't have taken much to do a 3-4 song set. That is the kind of thing which implants in people's minds that Genesis is Phil Collins and plants the seeds of eventual band breakup.

I was at least glad to see one of our 'family' get his due when Peter Gabriel closed out the Woodstock 94 concert. His closing song of Biko in front of hundreds of thousands of candle holding people, most of them too young to really remember him in Genesis, was a very touching moment which gave me chills. I am glad I videotaped his set (which was cut down to only 4 broadcasted songs even though he actually played a full hour and a half set).