What are you listening to right now?

• OMG!! I envy you hearing Flower Power for the first time. I can still remember when I was first turned on to TFK by Ned Flanders (rest his soul). My wife and I would sit in the living room in the dark, listening to Flower Power, Unfold The Future, Stardust We Are, Space Revolver and all the great early TFK stuff. Their new album, 'By Royal Decree,' is great too. I do miss Tomas Bodin and Zoltan Csorsz, but the new guys are very good.

Flower Power was very good indeed! It went on a bit too long but I loved the main part of the album "Garden of Dreams." What a wonderfully entertaining way to spend 60 minutes! They're a magnificently talented group and although it took me years to fully explore them I'm very glad I started doing so.

And wait, did you say that NedFlanders has died?! Oh no, that's horrible to hear. ;( R.I.P. NedFlanders - he sent me several discs filled with wonderful progressive rock music (and other genres too). He is the reason I got into bands like Porcupine Tree, Marillion and so many others so I owed him so so much... bless him, such a sweet and good-hearted man. ;(

Edit: I found out that he died in November 2020, and because I was very inactive on the forum at the time I didn't know, so I couldn't leave a heartfelt message. Over on the R.I.P. thread I've fixed my mistake.

• A Passion Play Jethro Tull. The picture has come out cropped for some reason but I listened to all of it twice. The Steven Wilson re mix and original. Haven't listened to it for years. Brilliant

• A Passion Play Jethro Tull. The picture has come out cropped for some reason but I listened to all of it twice. The Steven Wilson re mix and original. Haven't listened to it for years. Brilliant

Before you post(reply) your image, select full image. A bigger image will appear along side your cropped image. Select your cropped image and delete it. The new full image will appear only. Then just select reply in red.

• Superb tribute band concert that covers material from across the Genesis catalog (save CAS).

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Moody Blues - Days of Future Past

"Passed" - but kudos for listening to this landmark (in so many ways) album.

Recorded in "Deramic Sound" which was a real thing, actually 2 things: 1/ the use of the Decca tree microphone array, to capture true stereo, and 2/ the full frequency spectrum was used in the LP transfer, whereas most records in the 60's had the top, and more so the bass, rolled off to allow cheap record players to cope.

It is also the first rock album to use the Dolby noise reduction system (Dolby A as it became known), which studios couldn't buy at the time, they had to rent it from Dolby Labs. It was a whole 19 inch cabinet which was patch cabled into the studio, and rented on a weekly basis.

So, question: (wasn't that on a later album? ^^) Which track isn't recorded in Deramic or Dolby, and why?

Which version are you listening to? The 1967 mix, available on vinyl until 1978, and cassette until their demise *, or the 1978 mix, available on vinyl post-78 and CD?

* The original mix became available on the album's 50th anniversary on CD, as a box set with the new mix and the Quad mix. That set describes the new mix as "1972", but it is wrong. The 1972 mix is the quad one, the stereo remix was done in 1978. I can quotes names, dates, and reasons why, if you'd like! 8o

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I bought the vinyl in about 83, and I'm listening to the CD version these days, so I've probably only ever heard the 78 mix.

You sound like a big Moodies fan. Are you aware that Justin was on the latest episode of the Rockonteurs?