What are you listening to right now?

• Alan Simon - 'Big Bang' (2018)

Album about the creation of our universe, with guests including John Helliwell, sax player of Supertramp fame. There are even actual sounds of the universe provided by NASA. Very cool! Thanks, Noni! :):thumbup:

• A few things to keep me occupied on my 8-hour train journey from London to northern Scotland:

The Early Years - II

My 'Genesis disc 2' compilation (see the Best of Genesis thread)

and also home-made compilations of KT Tunstall, Goldfrapp and School of Seven Bells.

Abandon all reason

• Jack Lancaster & Robin Lunley - 1975

Line Up / Musicians:

Narrator: Vivian Stanshall

Peter: Manfred Mann

Bird: Gary Brooker

Duck: Chris Spedding, Gary Moore

Cat: Stephane Grappelli

Wolf: Brian Eno

Pond: Keith Tippett

Grandfather: Jack Lancaster

Hunters: Jon Hiseman, Bill Bruford, Cozy Powell, Phil Collins

Robin Lumley - piano

Julie Tippett, Bernie Frost - vocals

Manfred Mann, Gary Brooker, Eno - synthesizer

Pete Haywood - steel guitar

John Goodsall, Chris Spedding, Alvin Lee - guitar

Gary Moore - guitar on 2,3,5,7,9,10,17,20-22

Percy Jones, Andy Pyle, Dave Marquee - bass guitar

Cozy Powell - drums on 3,19

Phil Collins - drums

John Hiseman - snare drums

Bill Bruford - cymbals

Erika Michailenko - chimes

Stephane Grappelli, Henry Lowther, Jack Lancaster - violin

• I tend to listen to an artist almost exclusively for a couple of weeks and at the moment I am listening to my fav "pop" singer, Scott Walker. I just love his voice.

One of my top 10 albums of all time is Scott Walker sings Jacques Brel and i am playing that a lot, as well as his latest album which he did with drone band Sunn0))) which is called Soused and is rather weird and addictive.

His later work is challenging to say the least but that suits me.

To me his vocals are up there with Peter Gabriel and I cannot give a bigger compliment than that.

• I tend to listen to an artist almost exclusively for a couple of weeks and at the moment I am listening to my fav "pop" singer, Scott Walker. I just love his voice.

One of my top 10 albums of all time is Scott Walker sings Jacques Brel and i am playing that a lot, as well as his latest album which he did with drone band Sunn0))) which is called Soused and is rather weird and addictive.

To me his vocals are up there with Peter Gabriel and I cannot give a bigger compliment than that.

Never heard of Scott Walker

Wow, you're going back to the 60s with Scott Walker. I was reading how he was quite popular in the UK. Even got in the charts there. I'm intrigued :)

Yes his voice is unique. I like your understated use of the word "challenging" for his later work! About 12 years ago I went to a live performance by various artists, not including himself, of tracks from Tilt and The Drift. The tracks were presented very theatrically and it was a fascinating and amazingly effective show. Though not performing, he was present (and had devised the show) and briefly appeared at the back of the auditorium to take a 'curtain call' as it were. It was, I suspect, a real one-off and I'm glad I got to see it. A highlight was Gavin Friday's performance of Jesse and the starkly simple but rather unsettling visuals accompanying it.

I've been meaning to get Soused, if you know what I mean.

Abandon all reason

• Narada - 'Decade: The Anniversary Collection' (1993)

WONDERFUL - PEACEFUL- TRANQUIL - the best songs from Narada label artists in their first 10 years. Love this stuff!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.