Your favorite tracks on ... "Both Sides" (30th Anniversary 2023)

• What are your favorite tracks on Both Sides? 33

1. Both Sides of the Story (13) 39%
    2. Can't Turn Back the Years (11) 33%
    3. Everyday (6) 18%
    4. I've Forgotten Everyting (3) 9%
    5. We're Sons of Our Fathers (5) 15%
    6. Can't Find My Way (7) 21%
    7. Survivors (9) 27%
    8. We Fly So Close (20) 61%
    9. There's a Place for US (2) 6%
    10. We Wait and We Wonder (10) 30%
    11. Please Come Out Tonight (4) 12%

I open this topic to my question: What's your favorites tracks of Both Sides?

My favorite of this album and also my second favorite song of his career was We Fly so Close. I love hugely this song. The spanish guitar use in this song adding a spiritual, calm and mooding ambiance of this song. I love this particular ambiance during this song. The peformance of Phil during this song was very sadness in the first half, but in the second half, he spend her rage and her sadness in her voice in same time in this song. Her rage during this song remain hugely at her two first albums, but this song was a particular sound during this soft-rock ballad. One of the best and haunting ballad of his career and her perfect song to relaxing in a bath.

I search the album in stores in deluxe CD, because i love this album. My second favorite of his career (after ...But Seriously).

The votes was 3 songs max in this poll, like the others.

• He had a very raw emotional b side called It's Over or It's All Over around this time too if I recall correctly. I remember liking that a lot.

It’s Over was a left over that appeared on the Toyota Sampler for Dance Into The Lights. Whether or not it was a left-over from Both Sides ... no idea

Survivors anyone? My favorite on Both Sides

... make tomorrow today!

• Survivors anyone? My favorite on Both Sides

This song was a very good song. This song annonced the flavor of the soundtrack of Tarzan then he wrote later in 1990's decade. The African ambiance add a particular flavor in this song and i enjoy this song. But this was not so complex like We Fly So Close or Both Sides of the Story, this song was simple in her composition.

• Official Post

I find Both Sides Of The Story rather boring (and too long)

But Survivors ... that was a key moment during the concert of the tour - a very strong performance and a different drum intensity live. I always wondered why he didn’t play that during later tours (though I know he did rehearse it in Miami (during the private rehearsals with Jason Bonham) in 2015 (Was it 2015?)

Anyway. Great track. One of my all time favs

• Official Post

Both Sides was released 30 years ago today!

Also check out our poll in the first post of this thread.

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “Your favorite tracks on ... "Both Sides"” to “Your favorite tracks on ... "Both Sides" (30th Anniversary 2023)”.
  • I find Both Sides Of The Story rather boring (and too long)

But Survivors ... that was a key moment during the concert of the tour - a very strong performance and a different drum intensity live. I always wondered why he didn’t play that during later tours (though I know he did rehearse it in Miami (during the private rehearsals with Jason Bonham) in 2015 (Was it 2015?)

Anyway. Great track. One of my all time favs

Yes in June 2015 in Miami...

• "We're sons of our fathers" - that is my favorite track on Both sides!

then "We fly so close" - one of his best ballads!

And "Survivors", that worked even better in concert.

There is also a track on this record that reminded me of Peter, and that is "Can't find my way". This and the title track are also in my top 5.

• Everyday

We Wait And We Wonder

Please Come Out Tonight

This is probably the hardest poll to vote. I often choose the song because I like a melody, or a drum pattern, or a good vibe to it. But ALL of the songs on Both Sides have such deep lyrics this is the album I connected to more strongly for the lyrics than any other.

Which means that only picking three feels like I'm snubbing the others, and I almost only chose ballads, when those tend to be less popular with me on his other albums. On this album the ballads hit a lot harder, and a lot closer to home.

• I've never really listened to this album. I remember it coming out and Phil promoting it on MTV with Ray cokes? and thinking it lacked the hits of But Seriously. I guess being in my early teens at the time, it didn't really speak to me. I think I thought at te time that Phil's time had sort of passed and I guess it kind of had really.

• Official Post

The MTV Most Wanted with Ray Cokes was really something, including a special live performance of the title track, Both Sides Of The Story:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Can't turn back the years

Survivors

We fly so close

those three have been my favs from this album for years and they still are ...

... make tomorrow today!

• It's great to see so many (includign myself) put We Fly So Close as their favorite - or at least included it! It is one of my top five Phil Collins songs. One of his most atmospheric, and definitely doesn't get the credit it deserves!