Steve Hackett‘s vocalist NAD SYLVAN

• Hi folks ...

I was listening to a couple of Genesis Revisted live stuff recently and also bought Nad’s latest album, Regal Bastard.

I am still not quite sure how good or bad Nad is. Quite obviously the Genesis stuff is challenging - no wonder he sounds different on his own albums. But for the Genesis material (even the early Hackett stuff, like Icarus Ascending) his interpretation is sometimes good and sometimes some sort of out of focus. I tend to believe he doesn’t know how to sing the Genesis stuff from time to time and then he tries and changes etc.

Ray Wilson did Carpet Crawlers and he pretty much nailed it. Same with Kershaw and The Lamia.
    So in a nutshell: do you think Nad was a good choice, is there something you’d like to hear him sing or is he not your cup of tea?

• I enjoyed watching Nad with Steve, but that was all. I didn't think he was good enough for me to wish to buy his own work. At the show I saw he didn't seem all that comfortable. It's hard to explain.

• I know what you mean about it being hard to make your mind up. He has got a very good voice, not in the same class as Collins or Gabriel - but that is very esteemed company! My ears are getting old now but I’ve seen Steve many times and Nad can seem underpowered and I don’t know if that’s him or the sound, or my ears. In terms of being a front man it must be very odd for him because he is not given centre stage and is clearly not meant to be seen as a front man in the traditional sense. I always think if they just turned him up a bit he would be fine. I suppose I think he’s very good, whereas the rest of the bad are amongst the very best in the world and maybe that makes him the weakest link in a very, very strong outfit. But there are times when he sounds perfect for what he is doing and he is being compared to phenomenal talents so I’m happy to give him the benefit and I enjoy the shows that they do- even though I’d like a bit more of Steve’s early solo stuff in show. I quite like Nad’s solo stuff and may buy some soon.

• I like Nad because he is flamboyant and looks fantastic on stage. He has a breathy low delivery and he screeches the high notes. Those high pitch screeches are not so good.

Eg Moonlit Knights...

"follow on.."

But he is perfect for...

"Walking across the sitting room..."

• Official Post

I also have mixed feelings sometimes, but I have met him a couple of times, which makes a lot of things knee accessible.
    he does struggle with some songs and tells everybody that this Is not his natural voice (although he loves to sing the stuff).
    Explore his solo albums, it then paints the whole picture

• doesn't do it for me i am afraid. At times almost seems as if he is aware that he cant match PG or PC...and doesn't really want to have a go...but that could just be my vivid imagination!

• doesn't do it for me i am afraid. At times almost seems as if he is aware that he cant match PG or PC...and doesn't really want to have a go...but that could just be my vivid imagination!

he’s got the toughest job in the band, doing Peter‘s and Phil‘s songs. I am not a fan of Nad‘s as well, but I do enjoy the shows when I am there

... make tomorrow today!

• NS just doesn't cut it. As mentioned above, maybe whoever tried to sing those songs in that sort of set-up is on a hiding to nothing. Whatever the case, while he can clearly hold a tune, it needs more than that and I find he has no real presence and is quite insipid.

Again, it was pointed out that he's trying to be the singer in a context where he isn't the central figure, and combined with having to convey some iconic pieces originally sung by two distinctive high-profile singers, someone with his lack of gravitas has no hope.

I've been to two of the Genesis Reheated shows and decided I'd had enough. I had other kinds of issues with them apart from NS but he was a contributing factor. I really disliked the way he sort of slowly drifted on stage when he made his entrances, and I know it sounds harsh but I find something a little creepy about him, and not in a good way.

However, enough people clearly like or at least don't mind him, and enjoy those shows, which is fair enough. I've heard he's a nice bloke which is also fair enough but I don't care about that. I don't need to imagine I could be friends with musicians I admire or have a pint with them, they can be arrogant wankers for all I care as long as I like their work. I also hear his solo work is worth a listen but it's a pretty long shot I'll ever give it a try. Can anyone give me an idea what sort of stuff it is?

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

We had someone review all three album for our website. That should give you an idea what the music is like

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…ilogy-2015-2019-c287.html

• I agree with Christian. I too have met Nad at shows and he comes off being very shy, but I think he does a fantastic job, whether singing Genesis songs or solo stuff. He's also a multi-instrumentalist. If you've not heard his Unifaun album from 2008, what are you waiting for? Its only Nad and another guy. He wrote all the songs as a tribute to Genesis and he plays all the instruments, except for some of the keyboard bits. Steve Hackett sought him out as did Roine Stolt for the band Agents Of Mercy. He's a very talented individual.

"Quest For The Last Virtue" from the Unifaun album

- Nad Sylvan / lead & backing vocals, electric & acoustic guitars, keyboards, basses, drums, percussion
    - Christian Thordin "Bonamici" / keyboards, sound design

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I agree with Christian. I too have met Nad at shows and he comes off being very shy, but I think he does a fantastic job, whether singing Genesis songs or solo stuff. He's also a multi-instrumentalist. If you've not heard his Unifaun album from 2008, what are you waiting for? Its only Nad and another guy. He wrote all the songs as a tribute to Genesis and he plays all the instruments, except for some of the keyboard bits. Steve Hackett sought him out as did Roine Stolt for the band Agents Of Mercy. He's a very talented individual.

"Quest For The Last Virtue" from the Unifaun album

- Nad Sylvan / lead & backing vocals, electric & acoustic guitars, keyboards, basses, drums, percussion
    - Christian Thordin "Bonamici" / keyboards, sound design

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I appreciate someone being a multi-instrumentalist and that it's a skill and a talent, but ultimately none of that matters if I don't like what they do, which is the case with the above track. There are a couple of segments that might work well as standalone tracks rather than being subsumed in a 14-minute piece, such as about 3 minutes in. But otherwise it comes across to me as join-the-dots Genesis-lite. It's not inspiring me to hear more of his work.

Abandon all reason

• Not a fan. I have seen him several times with SH and feel he struggles with a number of classic songs. I won't compare him to Peter or Phil as they were/are unique to the Genesis vocal delivery. Nad lacks power at times and personally think there are better vocalists out there(Ray Wilson does a grand job as does Tony Patterson). What do I know as Steve is happy with him and that's all that counts I guess.

• Official Post

Not a fan. I have seen him several times with SH and feel he struggles with a number of classic songs. I won't compare him to Peter or Phil as they were/are unique to the Genesis vocal delivery. Nad lacks power at times and personally think there are better vocalists out there(Ray Wilson does a grand job as does Tony Patterson). What do I know as Steve is happy with him and that's all that counts I guess.

indeed

In the end even Phil or Peter would not meet fan‘s expectations on a new genesis album (there won’t be one, I am just thinking) ...