The Genesis Trivia Quiz

• Yes. He's very down on it. I really don't know why. He didn't say in the interview I saw. I think it's a really nice piece that fits well amongst the grander tracks SEBTP

I like that track a lot too. Maybe partly because I never liked battle of epping forest that precedes it

(like really never, no matter how many times I've tried. And it's so long and takes up such a big part of SEBTP that it kind of drops that whole album down a notch for me).

Anyway I thought the answer would be Deep In The Motherlode, I think I've heard Tony rag on that track very pointedly.... But obv I'd have been wrong!

• He also keeps dismissing Dancing With The Moonlit Knight. I guess it's because it was mainly written by Peter and Steve and Tony had no (or hardly any) input in it, and on top the instrumental parts are probably the kind of "show-off" stuff he didn't want Genesis turn to. Or maybe just because Steve made him play dissonant chords and whole-step scales on the hammond. It's a shame, it's one of their finest tracks ever.

• Echoing those above saying ATO is good, I agree and have always liked it

He's very down on it. I really don't know why.

I once read him commenting that his own playing on it was "atrocious". But I'm amused by the politics of its inclusion: Gabriel didn't like Banks's solo on Cinema Show and thought that whole 2nd section shouldn't go on the album. As I understand it, the 'factions' were PG usually supported by SH, and TB usually supported by MR, with PC on the fence. But Banks, though disliking Hackett's ATO, said he'd vote for it if SH didn't support PG re Cinema Show and voted for the solo, which he duly did.

:D

Abandon all reason

• This is possibly too easy but I wanted to try moving it away from albums and songs so:

What links these Genesis gigs?

26/03/76 London Arena, London, Canada

01/01/77 Rainbow Theatre, London, UK

28/03/78 Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, US

26/08/97 Telecom Tower, Berlin, Germany

Abandon all reason

• First performances for each of the respective tours. The CAS one though wasn't really the first proper gig as it was more for TV than in a concert setting.

• First performances for each of the respective tours. The CAS one though wasn't really the first proper gig as it was more for TV than in a concert setting.

I might be being a bit mean here, because you are essentially right, but there is a very specific additional factor that applies to each of those performances which is the key part of the answer.

Abandon all reason

• I might be being a bit mean here, because you are essentially right, but there is a very specific additional factor that applies to each of those performances which is the key part of the answer.

Oh, I wasn't sure if you had picked those tours specifically. So it is the first live performances with at least one new musician in the line-up: Bill Bruford, Chester Thompson, Darryl Stuermer, and then Ray/Nir/Anthony.

• Oh, I wasn't sure if you had picked those tours specifically. So it is the first live performances with at least one new musician in the line-up: Bill Bruford, Chester Thompson, Darryl Stuermer, and then Ray/Nir/Anthony.

That's it. Over to you!

new members of line up?BB...CT and DS etc?

Yes - but it looks like Dr. John snuck in literally 1 minute before you with the correct answer.

EDIT - unless of course he gratiously cedes to you as he set up the thread and asked the first question!

Abandon all reason

• That's it. Over to you!

Yes - but it looks like Dr. John snuck in literally 1 minute before you with the correct answer.

EDIT - unless of course he gratiously cedes to you as he set up the thread and asked the first question!

Simon1967, please pose the next question!

• ok thanks.. i am sure not much will get passed you guys!...

What links Black Sabbath, Al Stewart and Genesis in 1976?

I actually feel kind of bad knowing this, I don't want to have to ask another question of my own so soon! Kudos for an excellent poser there. It deserves to hang around a bit longer so I'm holding fire in the hope someone else swoops in to answer it.

Abandon all reason

• OK. I came across this bit of trivia about hipgnosis very recently but before the last question was posed so it is genuinely a coincidence, though it might have got me thinking on the right lines.

Hipgnosis initially presented a concept for the Wind and Wuthering album cover which Genesis rejected. They (Hipgnosis) later presented this idea to another band which was used for their 1978 album release. Name the band and album. I think this is quite hard but knowing you lot someone will get it straight away. If not I'll give a few clues

• OK. I came across this bit of trivia about hipgnosis very recently but before the last question was posed so it is genuinely a coincidence, though it might have got me thinking on the right lines.

Hipgnosis initially presented a concept for the Wind and Wuthering album cover which Genesis rejected. They (Hipgnosis) later presented this idea to another band which was used for their 1978 album release. Name the band and album. I think this is quite hard but knowing you lot someone will get it straight away. If not I'll give a few clues

I don't know but I can't wait to find out - excellent question.

Abandon all reason