The Genesis Trivia Quiz

• Steady on, I'm not claiming knowledge of B*witched song meanings in general!

Both C'est La Vie and The Reverend make (oblique) reference to oral sex. Certainly in the case of C'est La Vie it appears to have gone unnoticed by broadcasters.

My six year old daughter had a song about that!! I have only one reaction

What an awful parent I was for not confiscating it.!!!!!!!

• My six year old daughter had a song about that!! I have only one reaction

What an awful parent I was for not confiscating it.!!!!!!!

Nah, you did nothing wrong. Its not like she'd ever have known, is it? I'm sure she just enjoyed it as a catchy danceable tune.

Abandon all reason

• Nah, you did nothing wrong. Its not like she'd ever have known, is it? I'm sure she just enjoyed it as a catchy danceable tune.

Nope I should have paid more attention , confiscated it and given her an honest and detailed explanation as to why. 😁

• Nope I should have paid more attention , confiscated it and given her an honest and detailed explanation as to why. 😁

You'd have just drawn attention to something she wouldn't have even spotted anyway! But I commend your fatherly concern.

Surely as a child you heard songs with adult themes but are none the worse for it. Would it be inappropriate for a child to listen to Mama? (by Genesis that is, rather than the Spice Girls one).

Abandon all reason

• Sorry for the delayed response; I've been offline for a few days.

Anyway, I'm not sure I know how to respond because a couple of you have hinted at the correct answer but I haven't seen it stated quite correctly.

So here's a big hint: The things that hint at the correct answer are the mentions of (1) WOTS as a single; and (2) Carpet Crawlers 1999.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• You'd have just drawn attention to something she wouldn't have even spotted anyway! But I commend your fatherly concern.

Yes I was only smiling to myself and having a joke because that is exactly what would have happened!! Hadn't even told her about the birds and the bees by then. Actually thinking about it how the hell did she get pregnant . She was only 27.!! Was it due to B*witched maybe??😁😁😁

• Actually thinking about it how the hell did she get pregnant . She was only 27.!! Was it due to B*witched maybe??😁😁😁

Hahahahahaha!

I wonder if B*witched have ever previously been suspected of having a role in that!

That said, the sexual practice featured in their song shouldn't, on a practical basis, lead to that!

Abandon all reason

• Sorry for the delayed response; I've been offline for a few days.

Anyway, I'm not sure I know how to respond because a couple of you have hinted at the correct answer but I haven't seen it stated quite correctly.

So here's a big hint: The things that hint at the correct answer are the mentions of (1) WOTS as a single; and (2) Carpet Crawlers 1999.

Didn't Backdrifter already get this in terms of both being rerecorded as singles in shortened versions?

• Didn't Backdrifter already get this in terms of both being rerecorded as singles in shortened versions?

Well, I'll go ahead and give it to him, but the answer I was looking for was this: Both songs have been released in two distinct studio versions -- i.e., the "second" version was a rerecording, not an edit, remix or demo.

"Rerecorded as singles" would be accurate for both, but "shortened" would not. "Carpet Crawlers 1999" is actually longer than the original.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• "Rerecorded as singles" would be accurate for both, but "shortened" would not. "Carpet Crawlers 1999" is actually longer than the original.

When I suggested they'd both been truncated I wasnt thinking of the running time in fact, I was referring to them both having bits chopped out. In the case of CC99 isn't verse 4 not included? (I'm starting to doubt it now).

Anyway, thanks for allowing me that one. I'll try to come up with something.

Abandon all reason

• When I suggested they'd both been truncated I wasnt thinking of the running time in fact, I was referring to them both having bits chopped out. In the case of CC99 isn't verse 4 not included? (I'm starting to doubt it now).

Yes, I was assuming you meant that the verse had been chopped.

• I wonder if this just a rumour. The song was reportedly recorded in 1995, at a time Ray was probably not yet cast.

Hadn't heard that before. I thought it was done in 1999 and I also thought there was a story at the time that Ray might be involved, but then wasn't... Presumably because they made a bollocks of ending it with him.

• When I suggested they'd both been truncated I wasnt thinking of the running time in fact, I was referring to them both having bits chopped out. In the case of CC99 isn't verse 4 not included? (I'm starting to doubt it now).

Right so it's back to me.

How are Genesis connected to British comedy masterpiece Carry On Matron? (clue: it's not a direct connection - or at least, I'm not aware of one).

Abandon all reason

• Carry On Matron starred Bernard Breslaw as Ernie Bragg who later went on to play Cyclops ( that's Bernard Breslaw not Ernie Bragg who was fictional) in the fantasy Krull directed by Peter Yates who also directed the classic Bullitt staring Steve McQueen who starred in the fantastic The Great Escape and The Magnificent Seven both also starring Charles Bronson who starred in Death Wish which was directed by Michael Winner who also directed The 1983 re make of The Wicked Lady which had a soundtrack by Tony Banks who is also a member of Genesis.😁

• Carry On Matron starred Bernard Breslaw as Ernie Bragg who later went on to play Cyclops ( that's Bernard Breslaw not Ernie Bragg who was fictional) in the fantasy Krull directed by Peter Yates who also directed the classic Bullitt staring Steve McQueen who starred in the fantastic The Great Escape and The Magnificent Seven both also starring Charles Bronson who starred in Death Wish which was directed by Michael Winner who also directed The 1983 re make of The Wicked Lady which had a soundtrack by Tony Banks who is also a member of Genesis.😁

OK well in recognition of your impressive linkages there I'll give you that. I was thinking of the more prosaic: Carry On Matron starred Barbara Windsor, who appeared in Eastenders (long-running BBC soap for anyone here who doesn't know) alongside Larry Lamb, who appeared in the film Buster alongside Phil Collins, who has at times been a member of Genesis (for anyone here who didn't know that either).

I took the motorway and a couple of A-roads but fair do's to you for choosing the scenic route.

You do realise we're now back to you for the next question. C'mon everyone, join in, don't let just a few of us hog it!

Abandon all reason

• Oh Sh#t. ! It thought my answer was obvious! Everyone knows that. It wasn't like I just took a stab in the dark going with Bernard Breslaw to see where it would lead.or anything like that! 😁😁