The Genesis Trivia Quiz

• Hm, Tony Hill-Smith and Barry Johnston recorded with them. Johnston was with the band Design, it seems, but which band Hill-Smith may have been with eludes me at the moment ...

Can anybody give more information on these recordings?

Edit: Google is my friend. Backing vocals on "Going Out to Get You"

But, not sure that Design would be a "well-known band". Certainly not here in the U.S.

• Well, they were a bit before my time but my googling reveals several appearances on mainstream TV shows (Morecambe and Wise, Benny Hill show, Two Ronnies), so they must have been pretty well known in the 70s

Fair enough, I don't wish to set myself up as the yardstick of 70s band recognition! As you say, they appeared on a range of 70s light entertainment TV shows, many of which my family and I watched, though I have absolutely no memory of the band. If they'd made an impact on the singles and album charts there'd be a greater chance I and others here would remember them but the wiki piece doesn't give chart placings.

Anyway, I'm guessing that regarding the trivia question it's moot as they surely don't qualify as Sredni 's "two well-known bands".

Abandon all reason

• I guess the question was worded misleadingly.

The two guys recorded Genesis stuff with the Genesis guys. Actually, they produced it.

• Fair enough, I don't wish to set myself up as the yardstick of 70s band recognition! As you say, they appeared on a range of 70s light entertainment TV shows, many of which my family and I watched, though I have absolutely no memory of the band. If they'd made an impact on the singles and album charts there'd be a greater chance I and others here would remember them but the wiki piece doesn't give chart placings.

Anyway, I'm guessing that regarding the trivia question it's moot as they surely don't qualify as Sredni 's "two well-known bands".

I've heard of them either, despite watching many of the shows they appeared in.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• One of the people in question would be Paul Samwell-Smith formerly of The Yardbirds who produced the Genesis Plays Jackson demos.

The other would be Mike Pinder of The Moody Blues, who arranged for Genesis to record a demo of Looking For Someone when there was the possibility of Genesis being signed to the Moody Blues label Threshold Records. The production on that recording was done by the Moody Blues producer Tony Clarke.

• That's correct in both cases, and I even learned about or didn't remember the Tony Clarke bit. The Threshold experiment came to an end, because Tony Banks had played a bum note somewhere. Pinder thought the recording perfectly alright while allegedly Mr Banks insisted on re-recording. And that was that. :)

Your turn, Jonathan!

• That's correct in both cases, and I even learned about or didn't remember the Tony Clarke bit. The Threshold experiment came to an end, because Tony Banks had played a bum note somewhere. Pinder thought the recording perfectly alright while allegedly Mr Banks insisted on re-recording. And that was that. :)

Your turn, Jonathan!

All as told in "Chapter and Verse", which I think does not mention Tony Clarke.

It's quite likely that Tony Clarke did produce the track, he was the producer for the sessions King Crimson did for the first attempt at "In the court.....".

Threshold was co-owned by the Moody Blues AND Tony Clarke, despite Tony having turned down the offer to become a full official member of the band, even though he was not playing anything, only producing. He did, however, have a lot of input, such as the concept for "To Our Children's Children's Children" Each member had specific tasks, John Lodge was sales, Ray Thomas and Justin Hayward were advertising, press relations and promotions, Graeme Edge general manager for things like contracts, Mike P was studio chief (They had their own studio within the Decca complex at West Hampstead by this time, though it wasn't fully op. till 1972, and didn't see a band recording till 1980/1) and Tony C was recording manager.

Threshold produced and released albums and singles by Trapeze, (1st 2 albums produced by John Lodge),Timon (later Tymon Dogg), (Produced by Justin Hayward), Providence, and Nicky James, to name but 4, though only Trapeze would go on to bigger things.

Threshold had an office in London, painted in colours for which they were sued, who by or why I don't know.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Ok, here's the next question. When Genesis played at Oxford Town Hall in 1972, Richard Macphail inadvertently left something belonging to a band member behind when they were packing up after the gig. What were the item(s) in question?

• Ok, here's the next question. When Genesis played at Oxford Town Hall in 1972, Richard Macphail inadvertently left something belonging to a band member behind when they were packing up after the gig. What were the item(s) in question?

Brilliant question! Proper trivia.

I have no idea by the way.

Abandon all reason

A complete set of drums and a Hammond Organ??😁