New to me - "new" bands and music

• Distinct from the What are you listening to now

thread, this is a thread where you can specifically mention anything you've heard that is completely new to you. It doesn't have to literally be a new band i.e. releasing their first material, it can be an old song or a long-established act, including ones you've heard of, but it's completely new to you. So this is the place to mention that recently-formed bass guitar-only trio you've just come across, or to give us an exclusive on the other-worldly sounds transmitted to us by a sentient cloud of vapour from Alpha Centauri, or to give us your view on hearing Hey Jude or Like A Virgin for the first time ever. (Well, it must happen!)

I recently heard this on the radio, Ever Closer by United Ghosts, who I'd never heard of. I like the catchy blend of rock with electronica.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• New music to me is anything less than 20 years old!! And often older.

Two artists that i never heard of before but I liked that have been going for sometime are Anathema and Passenger. They I think are the most recent that I have newly gotten into and they were both last year for me

• New music to me is anything less than 20 years old!! And often older.

Oh man, I couldn't live like that... but know some blokey old rockheads who actually do...

Two artists that i never heard of before but I liked that have been going for sometime are Anathema and Passenger. They I think are the most recent that I have newly gotten into and they were both last year for me

...but this gives lie to the above. Exactly the sort of thing we want to hear about in this thread. I'm hoping the thread will lead me to some interesting new (to me) stuff so I shall have a prod around for these two acts.

Abandon all reason

• Although I have been aware of Gram Parsons's Grievous Angel, I had not actually listened to it until recently. I was inspired after watching the Ken Burns documentary Country Music, which I highly recommend if you have 16+ hours to spare. It has introduced me to or given much more perspective on many artists. I liked the snippet I heard of Gram Parsons in the documentary and the album itself doesn't disappoint.

• Although I have been aware of Gram Parsons's Grievous Angel, I had not actually listened to it until recently. I was inspired after watching the Ken Burns documentary Country Music, which I highly recommend if you have 16+ hours to spare. It has introduced me to or given much more perspective on many artists. I liked the snippet I heard of Gram Parsons in the documentary and the album itself doesn't disappoint.

It's good, but it is also extremely overrated, in my view. As a former Eagles devotee I had it rammed into my head for decades about how wonderful Gram Parsons was. You should also try the previous albums Safe At Home & GP, and his albums with the Flying Burrito Brothers if you are so inclined.

New stuff I hadn't heard - Mr FIC has become a devotee of Rammstein & Devin Townsend.

• Oh man, I couldn't live like that... but know some blokey old rockheads who actually do...

...but this gives lie to the above. Exactly the sort of thing we want to hear about in this thread. I'm hoping the thread will lead me to some interesting new (to me) stuff so I shall have a prod around for these two acts.

Not really untrue. I do like to find good new stuff, I used to seek it out all the time , and I think I have a fairly wide range in my collection but have increasingly found little that hasn't been done better my someone else. I find I have less and less time to listen to own stuff leave alone find more. Occasionally I hear something that strikes me. I heard Survivor by Passenger , who I had never heard of and was really impressed. Turns out he has been going years and quite well known. Also I came across Ana-thema on a promotional CD with the song Springfield and was absolutely bowled over.Totally recommend to all on this site. Bought the album The Optimist which is really great but that must have been at least a year ago . They have been going for years and I must get more of their stuff. I looked them up. Started as Metal which is the section where I eventually found them in but they are anything but that now. Nothing like metal . Really recommend you you tube Springfield if you don't know them. Good thread.

• It's good, but it is also extremely overrated, in my view. As a former Eagles devotee I had it rammed into my head for decades about how wonderful Gram Parsons was. You should also try the previous albums Safe At Home & GP, and his albums with the Flying Burrito Brothers if you are so inclined.

New stuff I hadn't heard - Mr FIC has become a sedevotee of Rammstein & Devin Townsend.

From an eagles devotee to a rammstein devotee... Reasonably large leap there! As a long standing devotee of the latter, my favorite album is mutter. Also if you ever get the chance to see them live (assuming you haven't already), grab it with both hands. Don't wear any flammable hair products to the show.

New music for me, and I think I've already posted the name in at least two other threads, is this detroit band Protomartyr. They are post punk more than anything else but I've had their fourth album Relatives in Descent on near constant play for a while now. I discovered them because a song from the album was used in a tv show (I forget which show). It's a fairly dense, cerebral experience but they occasionally and often suddenly switch from menacing and intense to the most gorgeous melody and the combination is fantastic. In the same vein the music and especially lyrics can be very claustrophobic and then become almost anthemic. It's not for everyone I'll grant... I was totally converted when I had the album inadvertently on shuffle, and the first song was followed by the last song. A refrain from the first song repeats at the end of the last and the effect is majestic.

I often skim across new artists and albums, harvesting a song or two here and there for a playlist, but these guys have made me stop and listen in a way I haven't in a good while.

I've also had a french band called Da Brazilians on the go. Mostly for a song called Please Stay, but the album it's on is quite good. It's melodic music with a bit of psychedelia thrown in. Nice harmonies.

• Hubby's the Rammstein fan, not me, although I like some of it. It is much easier to listen to than I thought.

• Heard a track on the radio today by Josefin Öhrn + The Liberation - hadn't heard of them before. Been listening to a couple of others on Youtube, not sure how to describe it but I like it. So far it's a bit sort of dream/indie.

Abandon all reason

• Heard a track on the radio today by Josefin Öhrn + The Liberation - hadn't heard of them before. Been listening to a couple of others on Youtube, not sure how to describe it but I like it. So far it's a bit sort of dream/indie.

Checked out a few of their songs - very good. Feel the Sun and Caramel Head are great. The latter reminds me of Drunk in LA off Beach House's incredible 7 album.

• I've recently heard a few acts that fit the 'new to me' category even though they may have been around a few years. Here's two, both duos - Deap Vally seen here doing their song Royal Jelly - it's nothing groundbreaking but I like it and this video has the added benefit of featuring Georgia May Jagger which is rarely a bad thing. I'd initially heard their track Look Away on the radio which led me to them.

Also off the radio (most of my new-to-me stuff tends to come from BBC 6Music radio) are Field Music; here's Count It Up and Orion From The Street. The latter is crying out for a middle-eight or some other variation but I do like what's going on otherwise.

This thread's been dormant so do drop in with suggestions and new discoveries.

Abandon all reason

• Also off the radio (most of my new-to-me stuff tends to come from BBC 6Music radio) are Field Music; here's Count It Up and Orion From The Street. The latter is crying out for a middle-eight or some other variation but I do like what's going on otherwise.

Another new Field Music track is being premiered by 6Music tomorrow morning. The brothers Brewis like their Genesis. I spent Gabriel's set at the Hop Farm festival in the company of David Brewis, having just seen their own set.

Phil Morris

• Another new Field Music track is being premiered by 6Music tomorrow morning. The brothers Brewis like their Genesis. I spent Gabriel's set at the Hop Farm festival in the company of David Brewis, having just seen their own set.

Phil Morris

Good for them. Thanks for the new track tip, I shall investigate.

Abandon all reason

• I've been listening to a band from Atlanta called Manchester Orchestra quite a bit lately, their album A Black Mile To The Surface is getting heavy rotation. It's what I think of as 'good' indie (melodic, not too drippy, solid loud-quiet dynamics). The drumming and the way they structure their songs catch my attention as being above average.

• I've been listening to a band from Atlanta called Manchester Orchestra quite a bit lately, their album A Black Mile To The Surface is getting heavy rotation. It's what I think of as 'good' indie (melodic, not too drippy, solid loud-quiet dynamics). The drumming and the way they structure their songs catch my attention as being above average.

Yes Yes Yes

One of my favorite bands I discovered over the past few years. Play them on a regular basis. The silence is a brilliant song

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Talking about Manchester Orchestra this is their latest song released yesterday

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Though I had heard bits and pieces of St. Vincent in recent years, I finally got her album Masseduction and have really enjoyed it. Off-kilter pop with all kinds of emotional shades.