New to me - "new" bands and music

• Though I had heard bits and pieces of St. Vincent in recent years, I finally got her album Masseduction and have really enjoyed it. Off-kilter pop with all kinds of emotional shades.

I'm a big fan, yes absolutely right about being off-kilter, which really appeals to me.

Two more for me -

Ela Minus - here's Dominique

The Staves (here's their video for Satisfied)

Abandon all reason

• I just heard a track I absolutely love on the Amy Lamé show on BBC6Music, Faceshopping by SOPHIE. I then looked it up, discovering that SOPHIE was a producer/musician who'd worked with a range of artists as well as doing two albums, and died in a fall a few weeks ago at the tragically young age of 34. 😟

Abandon all reason

• I just heard this and really enjoyed it. Black Country New Road are a fairly new London-based band from what I read. The voice reminds me a bit of Scott Walker with perhaps a teaspoon of Lloyd Cole. This is a new song by them, Track X.

Also heard today, Cain's Heresy by The Lounge Society, another English new band, from Yorkshire. I liked the energy and the guitar sound on this. It made me think of some of the late 70s new wave stuff I remember fondly from school days.

Abandon all reason

• I've just come across TRANSATLANIC! Never actually heard of them before though I find they are big and been going on and off for 20 years. I read about their new album and looked them up on you tube.. They are great . Definitely getting their albums. On my birthday list next month.. I think they will be one of my new favourite bands.

• I've just come across TRANSATLANIC! Never actually heard of them before though I find they are big and been going on and off for 20 years. I read about their new album and looked them up on you tube.. They are great . Definitely getting their albums. On my birthday list next month.. I think they will be one of my new favourite bands.

Hackett has guested with them (playing ...Hogweed live) and Roine Stolt toured with Hackett. They've also done (and released) the occasional Genesis cover, including the aforementioned Hackett appearance.

Great band!...8)

• Just recently heard:

This is a favourite current one, Cologne by Beabadoobee. I've heard other good stuff by her. I like how this is tuneful but bursts into splintered almost Crimsonesque guitar.

Abandon all reason

• This one’s in the “new to me category.” Never heard Shuggie Otis until recently. It’s hard to believe he was a teenager when he started writing and recording songs like this. Of course I’d heard the more famous remake but his original version blows it out of the water.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This one’s in the “new to me category.” Never heard Shuggie Otis until recently. It’s hard to believe he was a teenager when he started writing and recording songs like this. Of course I’d heard the more famous remake but his original version blows it out of the water.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He did a couple of albums in the early 70s that are considered cult classics now, Freedom Flight which SL23 is from, and Inspiration Information which I think features one of the earliest uses of a drum machine. I too was a latecomer to his work, around 20 years ago. I agree his original is the best.

Abandon all reason

• He did a couple of albums in the early 70s that are considered cult classics now, Freedom Flight which SL23 is from, and Inspiration Information which I think features one of the earliest uses of a drum machine. I too was a latecomer to his work, around 20 years ago. I agree his original is the best.

I’ve heard the title tracks from both albums (they popped up as suggestions on my YouTube). I really liked both of them. I’ll definitely check out the albums.

• Pictureplane. US based electronic artist I've never heard of, and don't know how I came across him. I'm a fan of the warm, exotic EDM sound with a propulsive rhythm, and also a fan of having the vocals and full drum track kick in at the same time:

External Content music.youtube.com

• Here are a few I've recently heard and like

Oklou - God's Chariots

GOAT - Queen of the Underground

Annie - Chewing Gum - from the noughties but I only just heard it. I managed to rise above the irritation I feel when artists mention their own names in songs.

Gemma Cullingford - I Like You

Lightning Bug - I Lie Awake - takes me back to shoegazy dreampop stuff I liked in the 90s

Secret Treehouse - Give It A Whirl - the chorus has a touch of XTC about it

Abandon all reason

• It's a slight stretch for the 'new' angle of this thread... I remember hearing Lorde's debut when it came out and liking a couple of tracks. But blimey I like this. I was just poking around old playlists and discovered this down a rabbit hole... I love how it pinpoints the emotional space between teenage spite and adult directionlessness.

External Content music.youtube.com

• It's a slight stretch for the 'new' angle of this thread... I remember hearing Lorde's debut when it came out and liking a couple of tracks. But blimey I like this. I was just poking around old playlists and discovered this down a rabbit hole... I love how it pinpoints the emotional space between teenage spite and adult directionlessness.

I really like her debut album. I find her second album less interesting - not horrible, just less engaging.