Which was the first GENESIS album you bought?

• Which Genesis album was the first one you bought? 24

1. From Genesis To Revelation (0) 0%
    2. Trespass (1) 4%
    3. Nursery Cryme (2) 8%
    4. Foxtrot (0) 0%
    5. Genesis Live (0) 0%
    6. Selling England By The Pound (2) 8%
    7. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (2) 8%
    8. A Trick Of The Tail (3) 13%
    9. Wind & Wuthering (0) 0%
    10. Seconds Out (1) 4%
    11. And Then There Were Three (1) 4%
    12. Duke (2) 8%
    13. Abacab (2) 8%
    14. Three Sides Live (2) 8%
    15. Genesis / Shapes (1) 4%
    16. Invisible Touch (1) 4%
    17. We Can't Dance (4) 17%
    18. The Way We Walk Live, Volume 1: The Shorts (0) 0%
    19. The Way We Walk Live, Volume 2: The Longs (0) 0%
    20. Calling All Stations (0) 0%
    21. Archive 1967-1975 (0) 0%
    22. Archive 1976-1993 (0) 0%
    23. Turn It On Again: The Hits (0) 0%
    24. The Platinum Collection (0) 0%
    25. Live Over Europe (0) 0%
    26. Genesis 1970-1975 (green boxset) (0) 0%
    27. Genesis 1976-1982 (blue boxset) (0) 0%
    28. Genesis 1983-1998 (red boxset) (0) 0%
    29. Genesis Live 1973-2007 Boxset (0) 0%
    30. R-Kive (0) 0%

Well, we have the favorite Genesis album poll, but I'd be interested which album was the very first you have bought?

Might be interesting, since we most likely became fans in different eras of the band.

Would also be nice to read something about first impressions and how you'd value your first Genesis album today!

My first one was Invisible touch. I was young, I thought it was a great album and couldn't imagine anything better. Genesis were successful, which was at the time a proof for quality (to me). From today's perspective, I still like the power of this album, particularly Land of confusion, TTT and The Brazilian.

• We can't dance for me ...

it was a great time in the early nineties, discovering many many bands and this album is still very important for me. And it still sounds fresh!

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• TLLDOB for me, around 1977. I'd heard it playing at a friend's house. His older brother was spinning it. I was enthralled. I had the same experience with the Sgt. Pepper's album around 10 years earlier. A friend's older brother.

• This is a good question! So the first Genesis albums I knew were Abacab thru Invisible Touch because my family had those albums. The first actual album I bought myself was a tie between Selling England, Trick, and W&W, but I picked Trick because it was the first of the group I listened to. I bought them all on tape at the same time which was a lot of fun.

My first listen to A Trick of the Tail was extraordinary! When Los Endos faded out I was amazed at what I had just heard, an experience I don't know I've ever quite had in the same way with any other album I've ever listened to.

Funny thing about the Selling England tape was that the running order was different from the album and how I knew it to be for so many years. I think More Fool Me followed I Know What I Like, and I can't remember which came next between FOF and Epping Forest, but it was quite different when I heard the proper running order.

• And then there were three - although I became a fan much later. But I wanted to have it - because of Follow you follow me :D

... make tomorrow today!

• This is a good question! So the first Genesis albums I knew were Abacab thru Invisible Touch because my family had those albums. The first actual album I bought myself was a tie between Selling England, Trick, and W&W, but I picked Trick because it was the first of the group I listened to. I bought them all on tape at the same time which was a lot of fun.

My first listen to A Trick of the Tail was extraordinary! When Los Endos faded out I was amazed at what I had just heard, an experience I don't know I've ever quite had in the same way with any other album I've ever listened to.

Funny thing about the Selling England tape was that the running order was different from the album and how I knew it to be for so many years. I think More Fool Me followed I Know What I Like, and I can't remember which came next between FOF and Epping Forest, but it was quite different when I heard the proper running order.

The cassette running order thing was quite common, I had SEBTP on cassette too, and it certainly was different, as was the Lamb, Silent Sorrow was on side one, effectively making it a disc one track. Other options for tape length balancing was editing tracks shorter (Justin Hayward's "Doin' time" on Songwriter) using extended versions ("Remember me, my friend" on Hayward/Lodge's Blue Jays was about 3 minutes longer, still the only stereo version on the track in that form available, despite 3 remaster/reissues of the album on CD, though it is on the quad version) or, bizarrely, including a song twice, once on each side! ("Winterwood" on Don McLean's American Pie)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• ATOTT , not after release I was 14 year old Bowie, Stevie Wonder, 10cc, Beatles fan amongst others always looking for my next record. I'd look at the Genesis albums, they intrigued me they seemed so mysterious, had strange covers. I half heard something played by DLT on his early evening show on my little tranny, by Genesis , no idea what it was but I liked it. For my next record I took a chance on ATOTT because I liked the cover. When I heard it having never heard any Genesis before (other than that unknown song ) I was astounded. I'd never heard anything like it. The music to me was so unbelievably magical.

• To those of you who were quite young when you bought your first album (like 10 or 11 years old).

What was fascinating for you? And how important is that album for you today?

• I feel feel a bit cheated here, as I bought The Lamb and Abacab on the same day in December 1981 ( and I can;t select that). This was preparation for the first time I saw them at the NEC that month.

Looking back, Abacab and The Lamb is a bizarre first album combination!

I had heard the The Lamb already as someone had done a tape for me, but imagine trying to make sense of the Lamb on cassette, with absolutely no context or help.

• I was introduced to Genesis borrowing Foxtrot from a friend. I then bought Trespass and went on buying the rest in very random order, I think the second one was Trick. The first album I bought immediately upon release was Abacab, I obviously continued with Shapes. When I saw the video to Invisible Touch I decided that could wait.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• I feel feel a bit cheated here, as I bought The Lamb and Abacab on the same day in December 1981 ( and I can;t select that). This was preparation for the first time I saw them at the NEC that month.

Looking back, Abacab and The Lamb is a bizarre first album combination!

Maybe you can recall which album you physically picked up first? Which one the cashier rang up first?

For me, not a bizarre first album combination at all. In fact it's my favourite two Genesis albums, The Lamb first, by a long way.

Abandon all reason

• To those of you who were quite young when you bought your first album (like 10 or 11 years old).

Lets see... I had some awareness of the band because I remember a family holiday to France when I was 7 and my parents had invisible touch on cassette playing over and over in the car. The track that stands out oddly is the Brazilian. Then when I was 10 or so, all that great early dance music and grunge were starting to filter through to mainstream. In the midst of that, No Son Of Mine was very popular on the radio and MTV, I remember the video fairly well from that time. It wasn't a hard decision to get the album as I was increasingly interested in music and as I said, had some awareness of the band and liked NSOM.

I used to like to listen to music in bed those days before falling asleep and listened to WCD on my Walkman a lot in this way. I remember loving driving the last spoke, especially the section toward the end, and dreaming while you sleep. And NSOM of course. I was less gone on the ballads which I found a bit mushy then and just not really my thing. Now, all those years later, I still have the same impression of the album and those songs. Oh, and fading lights was very impactful as it was around this time I finished primary school and moved to secondary school, I remember associating the song with moving on from friends and teachers I knew and liked. On some level the song still dredges up those feelings, though I guess you could argue that's it's intention anyway.

• my mates brother was older than us and into his music.around 1979..he gave me a tape with Trick on one side but can't remember what was on the other side. Took me on a journey going back through all the old albums....reckon SO may have been the first one officially bought but may have been Duke

Great times as a youngster having nothing better to do than listening and discovering great music 😊

If you mean first album altogether as opposed to Genesis album I was 11. 1973. You never heard Genesis on TV or radio but I wouldn't have got it anyway at that age. David Bowie Alladine Sane. Wonderful album and holds a special place for me. I would listen to it when having tough times at school , it would make me feel better. Trouble was as I got a little older in my teens I was really eager to find new stuff all the time. All my pocket money would be saved for records I could get one or two a month. One way of getting new stuff was swap albums with friends or sell to them ton the second record shop " Driftin" in Cheltenham. GLOS so I always doing it. After discovering Genesis and later Pink Floyd I thought I was too old for.for my 11 year selfs glam favourites so got rid of my Slade ,Glitter Band albums and also AS was sold to help pay for Animals by Pink Floyd. Didn't take long to regret my decision and not waiting until I'd saved enough. Bought another first edition years after but not the same as the actual one. I always look at them in record shops just in case a thousands to one shot it's mine. I wrote my name in it. I will certainly not ever get rid of my original ATOTT ( my first G record) even though I have 4 other copies. It still remains my favourite all time record by anyone. Won't get rid of any Genesis records all proudly displayed .