Members working together who weren't in the band together

• As we all know, there have been times when Genesis members have worked together outside the band who weren't actually even in the band at the same time -- Ant working with Phil and later with Steve, Steve working with Ray.

Does anyone know of anything like this from other bands?

The only case I know of is when a founding member of the Doobie Brothers, who left after their 1971 debut album, formed sort of a Doobies "tribute band" in the late 1990s with two other, almost bizarrely random former members. These two had been in the band quite a bit later, being members only for its 9th album from 1980 (plus a subsequent live album). (Seriously, imagine Peter Banks forming an alternate "Yes" with The Buggles and you'll have some idea how weird this was.)

Unfortunately this turned out badly because the actual, current Doobie Brothers ended up filing an injunction to keep the "tribute band" from using the "Doobie Brothers" name in advertising; and so the three guys ended up burning their bridges with a band generally known for maintaining good relationships with former members. Even sadder, two of the three died during the next few years.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• Dave Lambert joined the Strawbs two years after Rick Wakeman had left to join Yes.

The two never played together but Lambert along with fellow Strawbs mate Dave Cousins are among the guest musicians on Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII.

The other one that comes to mind is Ron Wood and Mick Taylor.

Taylor, who was replaced by Wood as lead guitarist in the Stones, guested on Wood's first two solo albums.

• The Eagles split up & then Don Henley, & Tim Schmit appeared on Don Felder's Heavy Metal song and Schmit on his Airborne album, while Schmit is on Henley's I Can't Stand Still and Glenn Frey's Soul Searchin' (this album is the only Frey album on which one of his former bandmates appears). Frey only ever appeared on one of the others' albums, Henley's Inside Job, and that was after the band reformed. I used to know all this stuff in great detail.

• Dave gilmour played on Syd Barrett's solo material. But I think there was a very brief overlap where they were both in Pink Floyd together, so may not meet your criteria.

Correct -- there was a brief overlap so this doesn't count. An interesting point though, given that Gilmour was Barrett's replacement.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• People would remember that after the Beatles split, Lennon, Harrison & Starr worked together quite frequently in the first few years. McCartney of course was persona non grata back then.

• I think the original premise of this thread is band members collaborating, who were never in the band at the same time. So the examples above of The Beatles and of The Eagles are different - those members were in the band at the same time. I was trying to look up if Bernie Leadon had ever collaborated with Joe Walsh or Timothy B. Schmidt, but came up with nothing (I know they toured together for the History of Eagles tour). Otherwise I can't come up with anything yet.

• Another that comes to mind...

A King Crimson "Project" entitled A Scarcity of Miracles and released in 2011 featured, among others, Mel Collins, who was a member of King Crimson from 1970 to 72, and Tony Levin, who joined King Crimson in 81.

Since 2015, the two have been part of the latest incarnation of KC but this lineup has yet to record a studio album under the name King Crimson.

• The Long Hello was a project formed by members of VDGG. However, not all members appeared together on each album. Each album was made in volumes. I believe there total went from Vol 1 to 5.

• I think the original premise of this thread is band members collaborating, who were never in the band at the same time. So the examples above of The Beatles and of The Eagles are different - those members were in the band at the same time. I was trying to look up if Bernie Leadon had ever collaborated with Joe Walsh or Timothy B. Schmidt, but came up with nothing (I know they toured together for the History of Eagles tour). Otherwise I can't come up with anything yet.

OK, I obviously misunderstood the premise.

• Another that comes to mind...

A King Crimson "Project" entitled A Scarcity of Miracles and released in 2011 featured, among others, Mel Collins, who was a member of King Crimson from 1970 to 72, and Tony Levin, who joined King Crimson in 81.

Since 2015, the two have been part of the latest incarnation of KC but this lineup has yet to record a studio album under the name King Crimson.

The 21st Century Schizoid Band is another one with former and future Crimson members who didn't play in Crimson together (yet). Mel Collins hadn't been in Crimson with Giles or MacDonald, and Jakszyk hadn't been in the band with any of them, until as you said 2015. Funny how that band's alumni always seem to get together.

Another one is Bill Bruford and Patrick Moraz, both of Yes but not from the same era. They made 2 jazz oriented albums together in the 80s.

• Jerry Richards one time guitarist of Hawkwind now of one of the best bands in the world today, Hawklords has collaborated numerous times with founder member Nik Turner. Never in Hawkwind together