Lack of Archival Releases or expanded editions

• Hello to all. I’m new to the forum. My favorite Genesis album is Nursery Cryme (1971). Trespass (1970) is my 2nd fav. I just don’t understand why the band doesn’t release 50th anniversary editions of these (and all) albums. I would totally shell out money for anniversary/remastered editions with outtakes and bonus material. Here’s to hoping.

Cheers-

• I’d be up for expanded editions for all albums up to and including Abacab (at least). Including:

Original mix (which I don’t have).

Remastered edition of the remix (to try and breathe a bit more ‘air’/less compression into them?) or new remix.

All associated b-sides for singles released (and the A sides, if not on album).

Any material tried out but never used (not sure any exists, though).

Book with essays about the recording of the album (although much of this has been covered in the interviews in the green/blue/red CD box sets), plus lots of artwork/marketing and promo material, etc.

Yep, I’d buy those - hopefully on a regular release schedule (one every 6-9 months) - without blinking. My suspicion is that the box sets released before 2010 are felt to have most of the above already covered (or at least, there’s the view that they have, by the band itself).

• I’d be up for expanded editions for all albums up to and including Abacab (at least). Including:

Yep, I’d buy those - hopefully on a regular release schedule (one every 6-9 months) - without blinking. My suspicion is that the box sets released before 2010 are felt to have most of the above already covered (or at least, there’s the view that they have, by the band itself).

you would think that the group would be interested In releasing products that not every fan has?, it just doesn’t seem to make sense to me to be honest. They are probably sitting on a lot of potential incoming money from people like us. I mean most folks have excess money to spend at the moment due to the inability to spend anything apart from online. I wish they would do as you suggest.

• Yep I'd love something along these lines. I'd like it all on vinyl as well as CD. Would be great, for example, to have Shepherd and Pacidy on the bonus tracks LP for Trespass. If an indie band like Stereolab (https://bleep.com/stereolab-reissues) can do it for their reissues, why not a huge band like Genesis?

• They did the whole catalogue from 2006 through to 2010, the albums were presented in the following formats:

Stereo CD's (which everyone claims were compressed)

SACD 2.0

SACD Multichannel (5.1)

DVD - A in 5.1 dolby digital and DTS.

Later on they reproduced these in Vinyl.

The extra material was provided in the form of single B-sides. So its unlikely that the audio would be revisited again. Genesis tried the Blu Ray audio format with Selling England By The Pound and it didn't fly off the shelves. The artwork is not likely to be expanded, although there is likely to be promo / marketing materials (we have some on our website). That might not be enough to tempt anyone else to buy them. Genesis do not wish to be accused of reselling the material for no additional gain for the consumer.

The problem with additional unused material/demo's is it starts people down a road of pestering for more, hence most of the trio saying that there is nothing left. There was at least two or three full shows recorded for each tour after the Lamb. Yet they never expanded on Seconds Out or Three Sides Live.

So its unlikely, even the much reported Deluxe edition of The Lamb has been shelved, its just not happening.

TGA

• That’s a good, comprehensive analysis. I think the band are right not to endlessly repackage the same material. What I find disappointing and in contrast to the service that a lot of other major bands provide for their fans, is that people younger than me were not able to buy the box sets and get access to some of that material. If the band saw those box sets as the definitive round up of their canon they should make them available to new fans, younger fans and people who want to update their collections. I’m sure that is expensive to produce but at least some effort could be made to analyse the cost effectiveness. Maybe one big box set, offered directly though an official website. Furthermore, it may be that there is only a small demand for live shows so I think there should be a cheap way of offering official downloads that do not cost the band too much to offer. Finally- Genesis have not had an effective official website for many years, if ever. This of itself is suggestive of a lack of concern for their past and their supporters. If there was such a website, some of the material we talk about on this forum could be offered I’m sure.

• That’s a good, comprehensive analysis. I think the band are right not to endlessly repackage the same material. What I find disappointing and in contrast to the service that a lot of other major bands provide for their fans, is that people younger than me were not able to buy the box sets and get access to some of that material. If the band saw those box sets as the definitive round up of their canon they should make them available to new fans, younger fans and people who want to update their collections. I’m sure that is expensive to produce but at least some effort could be made to analyse the cost effectiveness. Maybe one big box set, offered directly though an official website. Furthermore, it may be that there is only a small demand for live shows so I think there should be a cheap way of offering official downloads that do not cost the band too much to offer. Finally- Genesis have not had an effective official website for many years, if ever. This of itself is suggestive of a lack of concern for their past and their supporters. If there was such a website, some of the material we talk about on this forum could be offered I’m sure.

I’m in 100% agreement with what you say regarding the the issue of the physical product mentioned by The Genesis Archive above.

For me it is unfair on the new generation of fans and the old fans who may not have known about these re issues. I for one wasn’t a member of a forum or indeed on the internet that much in 2006/2007. Things were a lot more harder to find and to be honest I didn’t even know the SACD box sets were available. If there was a televised campaign promoting them I didn’t recollect seeing it. I really feel that releasing these once is harsh, as has been said above there are more than likely a multitude of new fans around the World and they more than likely would buy the SACD box sets. Surely the fact they always sell every time one is listed for a more reasonable price on eBay shows this. People may

Think here they go again re issuing something I already have, but they don’t have to buy again. it’s for those who didn’t get the chance the first time around.

Look at other artists, classic albums are re issued on vinyl regularly from the 60s and 70s and there is a continuous market for these. I wish they were like some of the other bands who regularly look at ways to re issue product to cater for these new untapped markets.

• At the worst case they could just reissue the boxsets, to eliminate the secondary market and its inflated prices.

Although presently, with no one touring... you would have thought that they would dive into the live archive and release something.

TGA

• I agree it would be helpful to have at least the existing reissues and boxes more readily available for newer fans.

I also agree that the band members appear to be not invested in releasing more unreleased material in general in terms of demos, rehearsals, etc. I think it is unlikely we will see any more of this stuff.

The things I would most value is release of additional live material that was professionally recorded. As mentioned above, a number of shows were recorded for tours after the Lamb. So there are songs from pretty much each tour that were not officially released. I know there is always work involved in cleaning up, mixing, and mastering these recordings before release, so it would have to be financially worth it to do this work.

It goes without saying that I would also love the full footage and performances from the available tours, but this also involves money - acquiring the rights and doing all the cleaning up etc.

• Those SACD / DVD boxes have already been remastered and all the work has been done - must of cost a lot of money to do the first time and to only release on one occasion seems to underestimate need. I don’t think it was limited the first time around so why not do another set of all of them?. If they don’t sell I’d be very surprised!, one way to guarantee them selling is by putting limited re issue on the box say 2,500 and I bet they would fly out!.

• The issue of compression, or dynamic range, is easily checked on this website: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=genesis

Green is good, not over compressed, red is bad.

There is a software to check your own CD's, I used to have it, can't recall the name right now.

The only issue was the Blue boxsets, in particular the CD's. If you spent north of £100 on a boxset for stereo cd's then, you ought to be committed. These boxsets where always about the surround sound aspect. In person conversations with Nick Davis, suggested that those allegations about wall slamming compression, was not the whole story. It was part of the story blown up by those not in the know about music production, as well as music mastering.

TGA

• It goes without saying that I would also love the full footage and performances from the available tours, but this also involves money - acquiring the rights and doing all the cleaning up etc.

I can confirm that all of the Mama tour show was professionally filmed, Los Endos was actually edited and handed to the band. The decision to release or not release is always in the hands of the band and or management.

TGA

• The only issue was the Blue boxsets, in particular the CD's. If you spent north of £100 on a boxset for stereo cd's then, you ought to be committed. These boxsets where always about the surround sound aspect. In person conversations with Nick Davis, suggested that those allegations about wall slamming compression, was not the whole story. It was part of the story blown up by those not in the know about music production, as well as music mastering.

TGA

Don't shoot the messenger, I only posted a link to a website with details of DR for the albums, though of course, there are many more artists on there.

I didn't buy any of the boxes, or any of the Nick remasters except Foxtrot, which I hoped would sound better with a remix than the original. Luckily, it does. The original mix was so "slack" and lose as to make it, for me, almost unlistenable. Despite some slight changes to effects, and any DR issues, it does make the album sound like it was made in the 1970's rather than the 1950's.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Hi All - this is my first post here as a new member!

This thread made me think about what deluxe or expanded versions of Genesis albums could include and so I have made up my own list - it's quite long so I haven't included it in the post, but you can check it out in the attachment below.

I've included all of the studio albums except the debut and worked on the basis of a 3-disc CD set for each one, with disc 1 being the original mix of the album, plus related B-sides and single mixes, disc 2 being (in most cases) live tracks from the related album tour (most of which have either been released officially or are available on good quality bootlegs), and disc 3 being the Nick Davis remixes. I haven't gone as far as looking at possible DVD or video content...

Although I'm old enough to have bought all of the boxes when they came out originally I would still welcome definitive versions, especially if they include the original mixes and unreleased/rare studio or live stuff.

Any thoughts or suggestions for improvement welcome!

Genesis Deluxe.pdf

• Official Post

Welcome!

I would appreciate a new edition of the high res 5.1 mixes along with the bonus tracks, plus possible additional Alternative versions from the sessions