Lack of Archival Releases or expanded editions

• so, this article seems to back my thought.

Why would everybody remix the stuff again in Dolby Atmos? The number of people who have a 5.1 system is limited and only a small percentage of them might have (or want) an Atmos system.

Also, most albums were never intended to be mixed in 5.1, so upgrading music to 5.1 is one thing, but Atmos?

I don't see this coming for music.

• 5.1 is the past.....Dolby Atmos is the present.

40 years in the future, maybe. It's taken until the last 10 years or so for 5.1 to finally bring quad-in-effect (a late 69's/early 70's NOW tech) to not even the masses, just the enthusiasts. Plus the record industry are always slow to catch on, CD caught engineers on the hop in the 1980's, and it was a good few years before many finally got their heads round copyright flags, use of subcodes, and even correct use of masters.

I won't be holding my breath (except when people don't socially distance while walking past!)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Here in Italy the first album to be released in Dolby Atmos is called "La voce del Padrone" by Franco Battiato originally released in 1981...an will be uploadead in Spotify....i just listened "In The AIr Tonight" by Collins and it's really awesone!!!!!......the music really becomes threedimensional...if you want to exsperience this feeling just open Spotify and write Dolby Atmos....there's a selection of songs .....try Queen or Led Zeppelin.....you don't have to wait 40 years....

Code
    • Official Post

I doubt that In The Air Tonight was remixed again in Dolby Atmos, there isn’t even a 5.1 mix available. So who did this? Or is it just some kind of upscaling

and Spotify is far from high definition.

• According to the Dolby website, Atmos is available for Tidal and Amazon HD streaming services so far, definitely not for Spotify, although some users created playlists there with Atmos in the titles. They don’t contain any Atmos files of course.

Dolby Atmos requires remixing the music from the multitracks, just like proper 5.1. But the distribution via Tidal or even Blu-ray still lacks the possibilities of real Atmos for cinemas - which ultimately requires lots of bandwidth and processing power. So Atmos for Home Theatres is just nothing more than surround with some additional channels for ceiling speakers. And the idea to listen to Atmos with headphones or some fancy Amazon Echo speaker is just hilarious.

Edited once, last by tom ().

• Official Post

so you don’t want to discuss, but just post links instead. Why don’t you reflect and discuss tom‘s post?

• Well, we could say thanks for posting the link - I should have done that yesterday, but I was only on my iPhone, which makes posting links a bit inconvenient. So I didn't bother, and since anyone can do a quick google themselves... ;)

I think many people don't understand these terms like "Atmos" correctly - and the Dolby website is not enlightening at first glance either. What is not explained, above all, is the fact that there can be no "Atmos" experience from normal stereo audio. Surely there are processors in the devices that can generate something like a virtual "3D" sound from any kind of audio. However, this is just eyewash (or better: earwash).

And when I look at this "Echo" speaker from Amazon, the idea of being able to experience spatial sound through it is just ridiculous. The thing is and remains mono, simply because it is only one device in one place - no matter how many internal speakers there actually are and no matter how much phase rubbish they produce to irritate human auditory perception. It's similar to the boomboxes of the past - you could only hear stereo if you pressed your nose against the flap of the cassette compartment.

The Wikipedia article does mention headphone and smartphone implementations, but only indicates that this is also just virtualisation. This has the disadvantage that it depends, for example, on the circumference of the listener's head. One of the reasons why virtual front localisation in headphones failed decades ago. At least with my thick skull... ;)

• Exactly.

Worth mentioning binaural recordings that allowed headphones to give a surround effect as they were recorded using a dummy head to recreate the way your ears hear. The track Suicide? by BJH ends with a fabulous binaural recording of the songs story, the moment when he steps out of the lift motor room door on the roof, and you hear a dog barking in the distance, will make you look round! :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Exactly.

Worth mentioning binaural recordings that allowed headphones to give a surround effect as they were recorded using a dummy head to recreate the way your ears hear. The track Suicide? by BJH ends with a fabulous binaural recording of the songs story, the moment when he steps out of the lift motor room door on the roof, and you hear a dog barking in the distance, will make you look round! :)

Artificial head recording (more recently also called binaural) has a long history. Invented in the 1920s, it became popular in the 1970s when some radio plays were recorded using this method. It suffers from the same problem: it only works properly if you have a more or less average skull whose dimensions are roughly identical to the dummy they used for the recording. Unfortunately, there are other individual differences besides head circumference that spoil the fun. And the recordings can sound pretty lousy if you play them through a normal stereo system. That was the case then and it is the case now, except that many young people today don't have stereos and then it doesn't matter. ;)

• funny discussion

I'd rather have the stuff that's unavailable re-released (i.e. the SACD) on an appropriate format (Blu-ray audio?)

Then there's When In Rome ... Blu-ray?

I don't need, and don't want anything in Dolby Atmos

• Unfortunately, the days of physical audio carriers are definitely numbered. Sooner or later, it will no longer be possible to buy playback devices for them.

Regarding Atmos: I find relatively little sense in imagining that parts of the music come from above (since in reality it rarely happens that musicians with their instruments and possibly amplification systems hover above me). But I wouldn't screw additional loudspeakers under the ceiling, if only because of the cabling.

On the other hand, I remember I had said something quite similar about 5.1 surround 15 years ago - in the meantime I am a surround fan and even have two complete systems at home... ;)

• funny discussion

I'd rather have the stuff that's unavailable re-released (i.e. the SACD) on an appropriate format (Blu-ray audio?)

Then there's When In Rome ... Blu-ray?

I don't need, and don't want anything in Dolby Atmos

me to I honestly don’t know why they did the one release of these boxes, why oh why go to all that effort to just release them the once. There are probably thousands of new fans who want them as much as old fans who missed out like me. Surely the groups management see the ridiculous prices these are been asked for on eBay and consider to re issue them all again. Wouldn’t hurt to repress a couple of 1,000 of each !. They could gladly take my money now but ebays prices of between £200 for the last box to £600 for the first box is a rich mans hobby!. I would love to ask Tony Banks why they just put them out once !!. SACD is more popular today then it was in 2008 , look at the Analogue Productions and Mobile Fidelity labels they still sell loads of them?.

• I won’t start asking about the status of the Board Tapes project. Sad that this didn’t happen.
    When in Rome on Blu-ray please ... and why not some limited fan releases, like a CAS show or something else? They have always been weird regarding this stuff ...

• Look at what Pink Floyd do - or King Crimson.

It seems everybody else is doing nice boxsets and archive stuff - but not Genesis. ☹️

... make tomorrow today!

• Look at what Pink Floyd do - or King Crimson.

It seems everybody else is doing nice boxsets and archive stuff - but not Genesis. ☹️

Yes, I think they are light on this front. Not sure I'd want the insane prices Pink Floyd had for some of theirs where the packaging was seriously over the top, but some sort of boxsets/archives would be welcome (to me at least). It feels like the band just aren't that interested.

• I am mystified why there has been no revisiting of the box set packages. It really is beyond my comprehension when all these other artists are releasing shed loads of stuff. I mean look at Crimson a massive box set with everything related to “ITCOTCK” and what do we Genesis fans get an orange vinyl!!. Those box sets just sold for over £1000 on eBay for the set, its high time they looked to releasing stuff for the fans rather than living on memories and hopes of something more!. Look at Neil Young he’s practically releasing an album every two months from his Archives!.

I’m guessing that no one Involved directly with the band and releasing of product looks at this site?, or they would appreciate our desire for more things to purchase. With the current concert situation a lot of groups are revisiting those back catalogues to raise money to keep afloat until things improve. I’m guessing Phil and the boys can’t be in the same situation?.

Edited 2 times, last by Wayne ().