R.I.P. Eddie Van Halen

• Official Post

love his guitar on Michal Jackson's Beat It ...

R.I.P.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I have never been the hugest fan of Van Halen as a band, mainly because I am underwhelmed by DLR as a vocalist and lyricist (SH is technically a better vocalist, but I still find him a bit ho hum). However I have always had a healthy respect for the musicianship of Eddie and Alex. While Steve Hackett was one of the pioneers of tapping on electric guitar, Eddie was definitely the one who took it into the stratosphere, along with a whole other bag of impressive tricks. And importantly, he also understood the value of when not to use the tricks. His solos are melodic, have dynamics, and are not just a demonstration of speed and agility. So he has been a bit influence on a generation of guitarists and it is sad to lose him.

• While I think, that Eddie Van Halen was one of the greatest guitar players ever, I have always appreciated his keyboard playing, too. He used to create spectacular licks on the keyboard, which were essential for the songs. Just think of the keyboard lick on Jump. Has there ever been something like this before and ever after?

Gutted by his death. RIP EVH

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• While I think, that Eddie Van Halen was one of the greatest guitar players ever, I have always appreciated his keyboard playing, too. He used to create spectacular licks on the keyboard, which were essential for the songs. Just think of the keyboard lick on Jump. Has there ever been something like this before and ever after?

Gutted by his death. RIP EVH

Andy Latimer (Camel) always writes his guitar music on keyboards and transfers them to guitar.

• This was very surprising and sad news yesterday. I had heard he wasn't well but I didn't realize he was as bad off as he was. DLR had mentioned a tour a year or two ago that never materialized and I suppose health was perhaps the reason rather than conflict.

He was obviously an incredible musician, but I really got the sense that he loved music, not just someone out there showing off but that he genuinely lived for it.

I remember reading in Mike Rutherford's book that he had jammed with Eddie a couple of real late nights in the early 80s and couldn't take the late hours. Seemed like an odd paring, I wonder what they would have come up with...