Phil Collins doesn’t want Donald Trump play his song ...

• Trump doesn't even know what these songs are about.

He plays YMCA by the Village People, for example. Has he ever even listened to it? Apparently he plays Fortunate Son by Creedence, one of the most blistering, anti war, anti politician, anti rich man songs ever written.

As for ITAT if the ominous, threatening air is what he wants to project that should not surprise anyone.

• I have to say that the thought of using this song for a political rally is kind of stomach churning, regardless of which side is using it. Throwing this song into that messy political world is a shame. That probably goes for any song I like. However I did see ITAT used once as a boxer's entrance music and thought that was pretty dramatic and kind of neat.

• Probably the only musician who wouldn't mind a piece of his music being used for Trump is Chopin, although he sadly no longer can air his opinion, having had said piece of music played at HIS funeral! ;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Probably the only musician who wouldn't mind a piece of his music being used for Trump is Chopin, although he sadly no longer can air his opinion, having had said piece of music played at HIS funeral! ;)

Kanye West might not object, didn't he declare himself a Trumpoid?

I'm sure I read that Mo Tucker is a Tea-Party Republican.

Abandon all reason

• Come on be fair. The Trump campaign needs a song. It's not an easy task. !!

Well I I'm gonna start.

What about DT coming on stage to the sweet sounds of Neil Innes's " How Sweet To Be An Idiot ." I think Neil would have approved .

• Here are more songs people are saying should be played at DT rallies.

'Twilight Zone': Golden Earring (1982)

‘Here I Go Again': Whitesnake (1987)

‘Friends in Low Places': Garth Brooks (1990)

‘Walk Away': The James Gang (1971)

‘I’m a Loser': The Beatles (1964)

‘It’s the End of the World As We Know It': R.E.M. (1987)

• Official Post

a couple of the recents posts in this thread were reported

This is a music forum and politics are always something "special" in music forums. Phil has his reasons why he doesn't want Trump to use his song and that is probably in line with most of the comments here. We all have to live with different views and there was nothing personal here.

so, the discussion may carry on (or not, if there's nothing more to say / write)

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I just read back through the thread and am struggling to see what's reportable.

The post that is missing is one from Slowdancer, if memory serves, with the picture of Trump behind bars, and a post from another forum about him.

Seems someone objects to the idea of Trump in prison, AND YET Trump himself was banging on at the last election about putting Hilary Clinton in jail for the "crime" of using the wrong email server. If that is a crime, not sure it is anywhere, let alone the USA.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• The post that is missing is one from Slowdancer, if memory serves, with the picture of Trump behind bars, and a post from another forum about him.

Seems someone objects to the idea of Trump in prison, AND YET Trump himself was banging on at the last election about putting Hilary Clinton in jail for the "crime" of using the wrong email server. If that is a crime, not sure it is anywhere, let alone the USA.

He's doing it again now, with Biden, Biden's son, Hilary of course, Obama, CNN and so on....

I was talking to an American friend and he agreed with the that there's a lot at stake with this elections but there is a much larger problem which won't go away even if Biden wins, over 30% of the country are behind that orange-tinted, wannabe dictator, con-man. Ahhh, the decadence of an empire in plain sight and in real time--

• The post that is missing is one from Slowdancer, if memory serves, with the picture of Trump behind bars, and a post from another forum about him.

that post is still there in the coronavirus thread.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• there is a much larger problem which won't go away even if Biden wins, over 30% of the country are behind that orange-tinted, wannabe dictator, con-man.

And there is still no guarantee Biden will win.

Regardless of what happens with this election there is a broader growing problem I predict will become very significant during the rest of this century and which, in a way, is Trump-related as it pertains to certain kinds of thought processes among many of his supporters. I'm talking about conspiracy theories, the Q-Anon movement, anti-vaxxers, covideniers, flat-earthers, the whole post-truth tendency.

Of course, a lot of this stuff has long pre-existed and is not new. And maybe social media amplify it and make it seem more prevalent. To an extent that's probably true but I still think there is a very definite de-evolution of thought, and it's growing and becoming much more vocal. And is being given much more credence - there have already been flat-earthers interviewed on British TV in the supposed interest of "balance".

Trump and his most batshit supporters somehow embody this growing denial of thought and reason. And even if he goes, it will continue to spread. I reckon that by the latter part of this century, the reasonable will be seen as the crazy ones.

Abandon all reason

• All true and it's both worrisome and disheartening, there's another problem; an entire world order needs to be rethought without depending so much on the US. Trump was a train wreck bound to happen, it was enough to watch the Republican primaries in the past decades to know that they were only a heartbeat away from electing a madman or madwoman to the presidency: Palin Santorum, Bachmann, Buchanan, Santorum and the list go on and on, then a black President was elected and a nation lost its collective mind, enter Trump. I've always bemoaned the US behaving like the 600 pound gorilla but I've always said, it was because we were unwilling to wipe our on behind and also I preferred them a thousand time to Russia or China. Things have changed, a REAL European Union would have been probably a good idea, this one is useless.

Edited 2 times, last by Fabrizio ().