From Genesis to Revelation - their original name?

• According to the biography at the World of Genesis fansite, Genesis were originally called "From Genesis to Revelation" for their contract with Decca, and later shortened their name to Genesis before signing to Charisma.

This is the first time I've heard or read this. It's true that the first album only has "From Genesis to Revelation" on the label, suggesting it is a self-titled album. If that's the case though, I'm surprised no-one has edited the Discogs entries for the first album to show this. All the listings currently have the artists as "Genesis".

Does anyone else have any information on this? I'm sure I recall from the Genesis - A History video Jonathan King saying that he "named them Genesis, and the rest is history". Not that this necessarily proves anything.

http://www.worldofgenesis.com/Biography-Genesis.htm

• Bit of confusion there, I think. King wanted to call them Genesis, but the name was in use by an American band. So they just called the album "FGTR". US band folded shortly after, leaving the name available.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• There was another psychedelic rock band named "Genesis" from Venezuela at the same time.

A common German rock encyclopedia has been claiming for decades that the British Genesis renamed themselves "Revelation" when that US band was found to exist, and shortly after went back to "Genesis". Once such misunderstandings find their way into print they are hard to get rid of. Same with the myth that FGTR didn't sell because it was sorted as Christian music.

• Frankly, I doubt they were signed to Genesis at all. My guess is that they were signed to King's company, Jonjo, and that was signed to Decca. Common practice back then. The Moody Blues mk1 was shafted thus as they were signed to Tony Secunda's company and that was signed to Decca. The middle men, (Secunda and 3 others, inc. Alex Wharton, disappeared with the money), luckily, Decca honoured the contract, probably because they were still owed advances.

Ian

• Frankly, I doubt they were signed to Genesis at all. My guess is that they were signed to King's company, Jonjo, and that was signed to Decca. Common practice back then. The Moody Blues mk1 was shafted thus as they were signed to Tony Secunda's company and that was signed to Decca. The middle men, (Secunda and 3 others, inc. Alex Wharton, disappeared with the money), luckily, Decca honoured the contract, probably because they were still owed advances.

Interesting - didn't know that

• Interesting - didn't know that

I am assuming this to be the case, I could be wrong, but like I say, it was quite common back then. I've recalled the name of the company the Moody Blues were signed to, Ridgepride.

Ian