Your Most Hated Music,.or music that grates or you simply just can't stand

• So we all have music that just winds us up . All different reasons . What one person loves is the equivalent of nails down a chalk board to another. So all in fun what is your most hated music and why?

Possibly room for discussion/ argument, this could be dodgier than the political thread. 😃 No offense will taken by me even if someone says Who Dunnit!! ,Or Suppers Ready.. I will happily dismiss anyone as unfortunately derrananged if they put down Cinema Show and also offer therapy. Not asking for a top ( or bottom) ten although I am doing one. One or two or twenty fine . Sure I'll add a few here and there as they pop into my head .My list has nothing on it that consists of anything that I have been able to ignore over the years.

1.Girls Girls Girls - Motley Crew. These wild metal rockers were never hard or heavy. This wimpish excuse for a rock song would embarrass even the worst glam rockers ,. except for.....( The worst song of all time.)

2 Some Girls - Racey. " Some girls say they will and some girls lie" nuff said

3.Jolene , - Dolly Parton. " You're gorgeous and I know you can take him and he will have no responsibility because he's a man" Jesus she should leave her man if was like that.

4. Stand By Your Man, Tammy Wynette

Yes it's up to him what he does but us little ladies should just stand by him !

5; Coward Of The County - Kenny Rogers. " Always respect your daddy but If you're gonna be a proper man you just have to fight" All with an oohm pah backing.

6.I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do- Abba. - Responsible for countless millions euro pap songs that have assaulted my ears over many many years.

7. Dancing Queen - Abba. It's just something

I have been unable to avoid .On the radio all the time. It's a personal attack I'm sure . Every bloody birthday do / anniversary and wedding. Including my own as my best man made sure it was played.

8. Everything I Do I Do I Do It For You - Brian Adams (Continuing the I Do theme) . Nails down a chalk board time. This was number one for whole of 1991 except briefly for when my daughter when my born. My best friends also had their first child in 1991 and it became their song unfortunately It drives me insane , which is the reason I'm like I am today! Just look at Herbert Lom's Dreyfuss in the Pink Panther and that's me when this gets played.

9 . I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston. A gentle tender love song by DP transformed to a soulless belter by Whitney Foghorn . Just imagine having wake up to that belting in your ear every morning.

10. Don't Stop Believin' - Journey , in particular that Glee version.

10. The Fine Nil Countdown - Europe

10. Gimme Three Steps - Lynyrd Skynyrd. I know it's supposed to be true / humourous by a cool rockers but whenever I hear it it conjures an image in of guys and girls in check shirts , blue jeans and cowboy boots , line dancing.

There. That was quite therapeutic!

• All good songs you list up there, just overplayed I would say.

I don't "hate" any music, there's just kinds of music that doesn't do much for me or might get on my nerves, but every music has their qualities once you find an approach to it.

I absolutely can't get into Steve Wilson. My bandmates kept telling me for years my songs resemble Steve Wilson and I can't see the common ground at all. Once one of my friends took me on a Steve Wilson concert, hoping I might finally be converted; it was a strange experience: there I was, clearly recognizing the musicians on stage were all great, yet the music just passed me by and did not resonate in the tiniest way. Except for that one disco song, "Permanating" or whatever it's called, that was the one that has chord changes and melody lines I can relate to, but that one aside it was absolutely strange music to me. And hell knows why my own songs are supposed to sound like that, I couldn't imagine anything further away from the kind of songs I write.

That said, I respect him as an artist who does his thing. Just not for me though.

• I think that' s the point with me. Probably why I start twitching when I hear them. Haven't heard that much Steve Wilson. I I have Deadwing , it's a great album I quite like some other stuff I've heard but also bits leave me cold,.

• All good songs you list up there, just overplayed I would say.

That’s a good point. I hate most records that are played incessantly as you can’t escape them for a period, although sometimes you look back later & think maybe they weren’t too bad after all. So now I quite like Le Freak by Chic although I hated it when it came out, but I still hate Happy by Pharrell & almost everything by Adele! ^^

• Mine are probably also due to just hearing them too often. Sweet Home Alabama drives me insane and is played constantly on classic rock stations. I also can't stand Piano Man by Billy Joel for the same reason.

In it's most popular days like 15 or so years ago the Shakira song Hips Don't Lie (is that even the name?) used to make my stomach churn a little when I'd hear it. There was no escaping it. I still don't like it now but with no adverse physical reaction at least.

• Anything by Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion and other female singers who screech, not sing, over emoting and drawing out e-ve-ry syllable to make each word sound ten times longer than it is.

Hubby likes Faith No More & we went to see them. Apart from their cover of the Commodores' Easy, they are doom laden humourless noise. I have eventually come round to other music he likes (Rammstein) but not them, and not the Cult who have a similar sound. For the same reason I don't like much extreme heavy metal. It all sounds the same to me.

Regarding Abba, although I am a fan, I always thought Dancing Queen was the most overrated thing they ever did. But they did worse songs than that - Dum Dum Diddle (the title alone..) which amazingly is on their best album, Arrival. Voulez-Vous - disco, enough said.

I've Never Been To Me by Charlene, the ultimate anti-feminist song. You silly woman, you go on home to your hubby and don't be like poor me who 'moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo where I sipped champagne on a yacht' and was 'undressed by kings and seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see'. I am ashamed I can still remember those lyrics.

If I think of more I will post them.

• Absolutely with you on all of that except I like FNM ( or least the one album I have - Angel Dust) and I really like the Cult have seen both.

Don't like Rammstein but they don't grate on me . I view all 3 bands as quite different.

• I don't hate any music really. But there's a sub-subtype of doom/heavy metal where the singer drops their voice so low it sounds like they're burping the words. I can't really stomach that.

I also don't like the female vocalists listed above like celine dion, but I often prefer female vocalists in indie, rock, jazz etc.

And I'm not gone on country music. I was at work once where the same song kept playing over with the lyrics 'God is great, beer is good and people are crazy' or something to that effect. Awful.

Edit:

https://g.co/kgs/6bmMQQ

• I've Never Been To Me by Charlene, the ultimate anti-feminist song. You silly woman, you go on home to your hubby and don't be like poor me who 'moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo where I sipped champagne on a yacht' and was 'undressed by kings and seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see'. I am ashamed I can still remember those lyrics.

If you think that’s bad, you might also dislike “One day at a time” by Lena Martell. 40(?) years after it topped the UK charts, I still can't stand it! ;)

• I really hate Oasis.

The very sight of them makes me ill.

Most hated song is: Wonderwall.

I used to hate Whitney Houston but I heard 'I have nothing' and now I really respect her. She really sings that one so well.

• A few remarks to above comments:

- Sweet Home Alabama: I agree, I used to love that song a long long time ago but now I can't stand it any more, it gets so overplayed I can't even bear that "three, four" intro vocal.

- In defense of Whitney Houston: I'm not a fan of everything she did from the 90s onwards, still like her 80s records. I have to speak up for her simply because in terms of her talents as a singer she was so superior to all those other sirens, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, etc. Whitney Houston had a way better voice.

- In defence of ABBA: I've never been a fan of their music but speaking from a musician's viewpoint who had to perform their songs along with new and old mainstream pop hits in a bunch of cover bands, I have to stress how much more complex ABBA songs are. Totally beyond your average pop charts stuff. Also really unique in a number of things: the singing style, the keyboards, the bass playing, the drum grooves, even some of the chord sequences.

• I can't think of a specific band or genre of music that I could say I hate.

However, my wife occasionally watches these singer talent shows that are very popular on TV; they have a panel of celebrity judges and the crowd ecstatically cheers every performance.

I absolutely loathe them. I can't stay in the same room when that is on.

So, I suppose if there is music I hate, it would be the sounds oozing out of my TV set when those programs are on.

• I really hate Oasis.

I used to hate Whitney Houston but I heard 'I have nothing' and now I really respect her. She really sings that one so well.

I love Oasis. They wrote some absolutely fantastic songs, 'poor man's Beatles' or not, and I highly recommend both Gallagher brothers' solo albums, but I won't elaborate further as this is about what people dislike.

Regarding country music I associate it with right wing flag waving American jingoism & corny Christianity. I like Hank Williams & I like country rock & that's about it.

Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight. Anyone who has heard it needs no further explanation. <X

• Mr.Farmer

Changed the title of the thread from “Your Most Hated Music.” to “Your Most Hated Music. Or music that Grates”.
  • I really hate Oasis.

I love Oasis! Most of it .Used to like wwonderwall bit that gets me a bit now could definitely do without it.