More Genesis trivia questions

• And just to complete my exciting question.

The fairground organ is heard at the beginning of 'Voice of Necam' straight after 'Please don't touch'.

Thank you.

Good question by the way.

Er, I think not. The Santa Monica recordings are at the transition between Narnia and Carry On...., the organ is credited as "The Robert Morton Pipe Organ", which implies there has only been one, there have been several, apparently. As the album notes state, it was destroyed weeks later in a studio fire, which also destroyed the early recordings of "Octave" by the Moody Blues who were using the studio at the time. They decamped to Mike Pinder's studio in Malibu as a result.

Sampling wasn't available in 1977 when the album was made. The Santa Monica fairground features in the album inner-sleeve photos, and the recording are of automata, eg/ the "Bimbo the Clown" and other associated bits

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Er, I think not. The Santa Monica recordings are at the transition between Narnia and Carry On...., the organ is credited as "The Robert Morton Pipe Organ", which implies there has only been one, there have been several, apparently. As the album notes state, it was destroyed weeks later in a studio fire, which also destroyed the early recordings of "Octave" by the Moody Blues who were using the studio at the time. They decamped to Mike Pinder's studio in Malibu as a result.

Sampling wasn't available in 1977 when the album was made. The Santa Monica fairground features in the album inner-sleeve photos, and the recording are of automata, eg/ the "Bimbo the Clown" and other associated bits

Yep, that's all correct. Since this thread is all about trivia (and at the risk of coming off as an annoying pedantic) here's a little more info:

1) The burned recording studio housing the Robert Morton Pipe Organ heard at the end of the title track 'Please Don't Touch' was The Record Plant in Los Angeles.

2) The amusement park with the fairground arcade noises heard at the beginning of 'Carry On Up The Vicarage' was on the Santa Monica Pier. While there is a merry-go-round on the pier, it's sounds were not used on the album Please Don't Touch.

The following is directly from the Hackett's mouth ...

A Genesis in My Bed (pgs 105 - 106)

"Santa Monica Pier also held a fascination. Its malevolent merry-go-round with those horse heads coming at you was featured in The Sting, and I was to use sounds from its arcade on my Please Don't Touch Album."

A Genesis in My Bed (pgs 115)
    Exploring potential Californian studios, I found a fantastic pipe organ in the Record Plant, which I used on 'Icarus Ascending' and the flagship tune 'Please Don't Touch."

And finally, a video of Steve on the Santa Monica pier in 2014 reminiscing about the recording of Please Don't Touch with comments specifically about the arcade sounds at the beginning of 'Carry On Up The Vicarage" being recorded there. What may cause some confusion is that in the scene in this video with Steve riding the merry-go-round, the pipe organ section from his album is playing as background music. But that is not the actual sound of the merry-go-round.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 2 times, last by Joey: added link to video ().

• Just watched a documentary and it named a Genesis song as being unique where it could be argued that it was written by seven members of Genesis. Which song? Clue --- There's a documentary knocking about that tells you!!

• Name of Genesis band member who plays in a Greenslade album, who is that musician and what is the album title?

Phil Collins, "The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony" -- not an album by the band Greenslade, but a collaborative album involving Dave Greenslade.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Phil Collins, "The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony" -- not an album by the band Greenslade, but a collaborative album involving Dave Greenslade.

Correct.

But, I did not say "the band" Greenslade but just his last name. Great album (I presume you have it) in the hardback 12" x 12" version with artwork by Patrick Woodruff that is fascinating.

• Great album (I presume you have it)

Nope, never heard anything by Greenslade. I had to do some research to find the answer to the question.

OK, my turn:

What somewhat unusual thing do these albums have in common?

Tony Banks - The Fugitive

Genesis - The Way We Walk, Volume 2: The Longs

Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings

Anthony Phillips - Sides

Note that there are other Genesis-related albums that could be listed, particularly ones by Steve... but no others by Genesis themselves.

• I was thinking, songs that include only one instrument. But that can't be, because there's another Genesis album (Foxtrot featuring Horizons).

• OK, I'm really grasping at straws here but is it that these albums feature animated photos of each artist?

• OK, I'm really grasping at straws here but is it that these albums feature animated photos of each artist?

"Animated photos" isn't the term I'd use, but I think you have the right idea: Each cover features a painting/drawing of the artist instead of an actual photograph!

• "Animated photos" isn't the term I'd use, but I think you have the right idea: Each cover features a painting/drawing of the artist instead of an actual photograph!

But so do several Hackett albums, Defector, Highly Strung and Guitar Noir off the top of my head.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!