Your music for Christmas?

• Official Post

Genesis have never recorded (unlike Queen, Chris Rea and others) a proper Christmas song.

I was wondering what you usually listen to before and during Christmas (in case you celebrate)?

We don't have something specific, but this year I am listening to CHILLY GONZALES a lot - his Christmas album is really enjoyable.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• The band IQ released a full album with Christmas songs on it. Very good and highly recommended.8)

Camel released a Christmas track a few years ago. Nice track.:)

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Camel - Silent Night.

• I love Christmas but don't make a point of seeking out xmas music. Off the top of my head I can't think of any xmas song I'd choose to listen to. They're inspired by a time of year I love but they're generally not very good.

So far this year I've escaped hearing Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses, one of the worst and most annoying songs ever recorded, but it will no doubt happen.

Having just moved house I've had to rationalise, pack and unpack my music collection and it's triggered me into rediscovering stuff I haven't listened to for ages or forgotten I even had. So that'll be my xmas music listening - I'm looking forward to it.

Abandon all reason

• I love Christmas but don't make a point of seeking out xmas music. Off the top of my head I can't think of any xmas song I'd choose to listen to. They're inspired by a time of year I love but they're generally not very good.

So far this year I've escaped hearing Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses, one of the worst and most annoying songs ever recorded, but it will no doubt happen.

Having just moved house I've had to rationalise, pack and unpack my music collection and it's triggered me into rediscovering stuff I haven't listened to for ages or forgotten I even had. So that'll be my xmas music listening - I'm looking forward to it.

That's always a good feeling, discovering your old past music.:)

• With the snow-covered trees, the spirit of Christmas and tradition in the air, there something about the music of Jethro Tull that always just feels so appropriate for me at this time of year.

• Usually just a playlist of the usual Christmas songs, on shuffle/repeat. I'm not that gone on them myself but they do create a festive atmosphere in the house. I remember this growing up and want my kids to feel the same Christmassy vibe.

I do enjoy this though, which I found so surprising when I found it, I thought it was a hoax of some sort

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That's always a good feeling, discovering your old past music.:)

It is, but I wish I could achieve it with David Bowie. Apart from 5 albums my entire Bowie cd collection is missing. Nearly a month after moving and having unpacked and arranged my CDs there is no sign of it. There are some boxes of books and other stuff in the storage area and I've gone through most of them to check if the CDs are among them but no sign of them. I'm reduced to looking in places I already know they're not. If a final check tomorrow doesn't reveal them I'll have to accept the likelihood they got accidentally included in a charity shop bag. A collection I spent years building up... 😔

Abandon all reason

• It is, but I wish I could achieve it with David Bowie. Apart from 5 albums my entire Bowie cd collection is missing. Nearly a month after moving and having unpacked and arranged my CDs there is no sign of it. There are some boxes of books and other stuff in the storage area and I've gone through most of them to check if the CDs are among them but no sign of them. I'm reduced to looking in places I already know they're not. If a final check tomorrow doesn't reveal them I'll have to accept the likelihood they got accidentally included in a charity shop bag. A collection I spent years building up... 😔

Awwwww... That's a horrible feeling!

When we moved last year, I lost a box with my PS3 and DVD player in it (lost: the moving truck took an hour to drive a couple of blocks and I have deep suspicions). The ps3 I can live without, but the dvd player was a really nice one that was multiregion. And what bugs me most is that I know there were rare dvds in there that are gone, and I'm not even sure how many or which ones. I definitely had the Genesis live in poland one from the CAS tour, and possibly the movie box set. God knows what else. Possibly a few disks of family photos.

Hope your collection shows up.

• In our house, we love the Christmas classics by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Johhny Mathis, Perry Como, Burl Ives, Teresa Brewer, plus all the Mannheim Steamroller albums We also like the classic rock Christmas songs by The Eagles, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Greg Lake, Sammy Hagar.

• With the snow-covered trees, the spirit of Christmas and tradition in the air, there something about the music of Jethro Tull that always just feels so appropriate for me at this time of year.

No snow-covered trees here, but something made me dig out several Tull albums, too, so there must be something to it.

• Tull has a wonderful Christmas album. I highly recommend it.

• The Christmas music I enjoy most includes traditional hymns done, well, traditionally - voices/choir with piano/organ accompaniment. There are few modern takes on traditional carols that I like. I also really enjoy Handel's The Messiah (The Tafelmusik version is fantastic) and Bach's Christmas Oratorio.

In terms of modern Christmas-y music, I like a whole grab-bag of stuff:

• Vince Guaraldi's A Charlie Brown Christmas is great.
    • Holly Cole Trio has an old EP of Christmas songs that has a particularly good version of I'd Like to Hitch a Ride With Santa Claus.
      External Content www.youtube.com
    • Jane Siberry wrote a beautiful Christmas song called Are You Burning Little Candle that first appeared on Count Your Blessings and then also appeared on her Child live Christmas album (which has some other fun stuff).
    • Katherine Wheatley wrote a particularly poignant portrait of family tensions at Christmas called Rita - the best version is on a compilation Stuck on a Cold Steel Pole.
    • A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector is fun, particularly The Crystals' version of Santa Claus Is Coming to Town (probably the inspiration for Bruce Springsteen's version).
    • The Roches' We Three Kings contains some hilarious takes on Christmas classics with exaggerated New York accents - check out their version of Winter Wonderland.
    • Joni Mitchell's River takes place around Christmas and is a beautiful song.
  • I don't seek out particular Christmas songs, though I do have some. I put together a Top 200 playlist of what I consider my favourite songs of all time and play that on the iPod during Christmas week, and plug it into my mother's stero on Boxing Day.

• It is, but I wish I could achieve it with David Bowie. Apart from 5 albums my entire Bowie cd collection is missing. Nearly a month after moving and having unpacked and arranged my CDs there is no sign of it. There are some boxes of books and other stuff in the storage area and I've gone through most of them to check if the CDs are among them but no sign of them. I'm reduced to looking in places I already know they're not. If a final check tomorrow doesn't reveal them I'll have to accept the likelihood they got accidentally included in a charity shop bag. A collection I spent years building up... 😔

😲😮

• Right now am still working my through my entire Motorhead collection of 27 albums. Nothing better in a pandemic. Next week I break out my Very Metal Christmas album .It has Dio doing Good Tidings Of Comfort and Joy.

Given you moved recently, if they did go to a charity shop, chances are most of them are still there. Might be worth a visit, even if they won't let you have them back, you might be able to buy them back cheap.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Here's a funny Christmas story...my first wife, we were married in 1993, divorced in 1994, gave me a used George Harrison CD for Christmas in '93. Mind you, I'd been burglarized a month or so before Christmas. All my CDs, about 500, we're stolen, plus my new Cerwin-Vega floor speakers(worth $500 each) and my television. I had marked many of my CDs with my driver's license number. Imagine my surprise when I opened the George Harrison CD and saw that it was mine, one of the stolen CDs. Of course, I asked my wife where she bought it. I went to that music store and saw all my CDs. I called the police and they met me at the store. The officer told the store manager that he must give me back all the CDs that I had marked, about 140. The others that weren't marked I could buy back at $1.00 each. I bought back maybe 40 more. I was really upset that more than 300 CDs had to stay in the store. I knew they were mine . The officer asked the store manager if he thought it might be a bit strange that someone would sell their 500-CD collection for pennies on the dollar? The officer also asked if he could describe what the person(s) looked like. To my shock, he described two people, one being a black man and the other being my wife. This set into motion a series of very disturbing discoveries about my wife. She apparently had hooked up with some drug addicts and had sold our property for drug money. We divorced after 11 months of marriage. I wonder if anyone ever purchased any of the 300 or so CDs that I wasn't willing to pay to get back? I could only get back the ones I could prove were mine. Sad story, I know, but funny in that my wife was clueless to the fact that she was giving me a CD for Christmas that was in fact mine already, and that she had stolen from me. The homeowners insurance settled my claim for $10,000. I was happy about that, but would rather have had my stuff back. How's that for a Christmas story?