Your music for Christmas?

• Here's a funny Christmas story...my first wife, we were married in 1993, divorced in 1994, gave me a used George Harrison CD for Christmas in '93. Mind you, I'd been burglarized a month or so before Christmas. All my CDs, about 500, we're stolen, plus my new Cerwin-Vega floor speakers(worth $500 each) and my television. I had marked many of my CDs with my driver's license number. Imagine my surprise when I opened the George Harrison CD and saw that it was mine, one of the stolen CDs. Of course, I asked my wife where she bought it. I went to that music store and saw all my CDs. I called the police and they met me at the store. The officer told the store manager that he must give me back all the CDs that I had marked, about 140. The others that weren't marked I could buy back at $1.00 each. I bought back maybe 40 more. I was really upset that more than 300 CDs had to stay in the store. I knew they were mine . The officer asked the store manager if he thought it might be a bit strange that someone would sell their 500-CD collection for pennies on the dollar? The officer also asked if he could describe what the person(s) looked like. To my shock, he described two people, one being a black man and the other being my wife. This set into motion a series of very disturbing discoveries about my wife. She apparently had hooked up with some drug addicts and had sold our property for drug money. We divorced after 11 months of marriage. I wonder if anyone ever purchased any of the 300 or so CDs that I wasn't willing to pay to get back? I could only get back the ones I could prove were mine. Sad story, I know, but funny in that my wife was clueless to the fact that she was giving me a CD for Christmas that was in fact mine already, and that she had stolen from me. The homeowners insurance settled my claim for $10,000. I was happy about that, but would rather have had my stuff back. How's that for a Christmas story?

The good news is that they are all re-mastered now!......;) ^^. $10,000 sounds very reasonable for replacements. Good job they were only cd's and not vinyl as they would of been difficult to replace.

• Here's a funny Christmas story...

I genuinely love that you started the story with this and it turned out to be a heartwarming yuletide tale of drugs, theft and divorce!

Unrelated but in a similar 'dimwitted crime' vein, I used to work at a college where I co-ordinated the process for dealing with academic misconduct, ie when students copied, cheated etc.

A student plagiarised his entire final-year project thesis by taking an old one from the library and copying it more or less verbatim. His supervisor immediately realised this is what the student had done, as it was her own thesis, written as a student under her maiden name.

Abandon all reason

• Here's a funny Christmas story...my first wife, we were married in 1993, divorced in 1994, gave me a used George Harrison CD for Christmas in '93. Mind you, I'd been burglarized a month or so before Christmas. All my CDs, about 500, we're stolen, plus my new Cerwin-Vega floor speakers(worth $500 each) and my television. I had marked many of my CDs with my driver's license number. Imagine my surprise when I opened the George Harrison CD and saw that it was mine, one of the stolen CDs. Of course, I asked my wife where she bought it. I went to that music store and saw all my CDs. I called the police and they met me at the store. The officer told the store manager that he must give me back all the CDs that I had marked, about 140. The others that weren't marked I could buy back at $1.00 each. I bought back maybe 40 more. I was really upset that more than 300 CDs had to stay in the store. I knew they were mine . The officer asked the store manager if he thought it might be a bit strange that someone would sell their 500-CD collection for pennies on the dollar? The officer also asked if he could describe what the person(s) looked like. To my shock, he described two people, one being a black man and the other being my wife. This set into motion a series of very disturbing discoveries about my wife. She apparently had hooked up with some drug addicts and had sold our property for drug money. We divorced after 11 months of marriage. I wonder if anyone ever purchased any of the 300 or so CDs that I wasn't willing to pay to get back? I could only get back the ones I could prove were mine. Sad story, I know, but funny in that my wife was clueless to the fact that she was giving me a CD for Christmas that was in fact mine already, and that she had stolen from me. The homeowners insurance settled my claim for $10,000. I was happy about that, but would rather have had my stuff back. How's that for a Christmas story?

Holy fucking shit!!!

That has to be one of the best, casually dropped, 'oh by the way...' stories I've ever come across!

• nothing specific here. Though a couple of tunes are of course more likely than others. Chris Rea's Driving home for Christmas, Queen's Thank God it's Christmas - but not intensely

My grandma used to play all these awful tunes for Christmas. We don't do that these days. Some classical music in the background on Christmas Eve, that's it.

... make tomorrow today!

That is a remarkable story. 2 things spring to mind:

1/ You could sell that to a TV show. They could make an episode of a crime drama based around that.

2/ You should frame that CD and put it on the wall. If it wasn't for it, who knows how your life may have turned out, you wouldn't have found out about your first wife's true character for ages (I'm sure you would have discovered it eventually), and you may not have ended up with the wife and the life you have now. Scary, I know!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• That is some story, makes me glad I stayed single :)

My fav Christmas album is, this year as always, The Jethro Tull Christmas Album, a classic.

My fav Christmas song has to be, well there are 2 : A Fairytale Of New York and Happy Christmas War Is Over.

• A Fairytale Of New York

The terrible original or the classic new Bon Jovi version? 😃

I confess as Christmas songs go I like it, and as an expat from Galway, I can't help but feel a heart tug when he sings "and the boys of the nypd choir were singing Galway bay". I also find the annual ritual agonising over the lyrics and whether they should be played or not a little fascinating. Controversial for sure, he has stated his reasoning which sounds good to me, and also that he's fine with altering it as was done a few years ago so it wouldn't be offensive.

I was always partial to the Slade song too.

• Honestly Tony Banks orchestral albums all remind me of Christmas! Of the Genesis albums, I guess Duke would be the one that gives me the most "winter" vibes haha

Proggy Christmas by Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, etc. is fantastic as well

• “Snowbound,” from the ATTWT album. We actually had a little snow here on the Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland on Christmas night, where we rarely get snow anymore.