Do They Know It's Christmas?

• I find hearing Band Aid, Do They Know It's Christmas pretty disturbing.

I think that actually it's quite a good song with some quite poignant lyrics ( admittedly clumsy) pointing to the inequality in the world . Much criticized for the us and them aspect but it's true that we in the west celebrate with gusto and feed ourselves to bursting whilst others starve. It talks about Africa which maybe is too much of a catch all term but it was about the famine in a particular area . How deep should you dig to find fault? I heard this song done as a thoughtful acoustic, song which was how it was initially written. It's very serious about people starving . It was done to make money for a good cause with an over ambitious but genuine attempt to eliminate poverty. Was written in haste genuinely and whatever anyone thinks about the final production (which I don't like ) it was all done in a hurry. It also suffers from being terribly overplayed. There's also that thing about all the stars trying show off , but l believe that they were genuine. It did save lives , no question.

The HOWEVER is this. It's THE song that so many sing with joy and excitement over the Christmas period. Big groups of pissed party goers singing at the tops of their voices having a great time. Sung without a thought .How can you sing ,"Do they know it's Christmas" ( which actually means do those that are starving to death in Africa know that people in West are having a great time? Probably yes) whilst drinking smiling and partying . I find this very disturbing. It's all I can think of when I hear it.

• A great song, in terms of what it set out to say, no surprise from the pen of Midge Ure, who is a very underrated songwriter (and guitarist!).

Sadly, most people don't listen to lyrics, so I guess most people singing it, particularly the drunk ones, never give them a second thought.

Last night, we watched "Knives Out", a DVD my daughter got me. At one point, Daniel Craig's character sang a small part of a song to himself. It took me a few seconds to work out it was "Am I losing my Mind" by Liza Minelli & the Pet Shop Boys. I felt quite proud of myself.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

There are plenty of versions around. Funny enough, I once had the CD-Single of BAND AID 5 (the one with Chris Rea and others) but this version does not seem to be available digitally?

And I can't find the single ...

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• There are plenty of versions around. Funny enough, I once had the CD-Single of BAND AID 5 (the one with Chris Rea and others) but this version does not seem to be available digitally?

And I can't find the single ...

never heard of that version. But to be honest, I am not a fan of all the re-recordings. I stick to the original when I want to hear the track.