BREXIT: European touring may get more complicated for UK-bands

• Official Post

This was something a lot of people were afraid of:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55483105

Well, the article says it's the EU fault / decision, but nevertheless we should keep in mind that you can't leave the EU and at the same time benefit from all of its advantages. So this is one of the examples for what it means to be outside the Union.

I don't think it will affect bigger bands, but could be threatening to smaller bands.

• And yet bands/artists can tour other places like USA/Canada/Australia/Asia - so, 2 possibilities, either it will be the same or easier as for those, OR it will be harder, in which case, it clearly WILL be the EU's fault.

Who wants to be in a club where you can't leave without being punished? K#Jion a golf club or a tennis club, get the benefits. Leave, and lose them, but don't get kicked for doing so.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

And yet bands/artists can tour other places like USA/Canada/Australia/Asia - so, 2 possibilities, either it will be the same or easier as for those, OR it will be harder, in which case, it clearly WILL be the EU's fault.

Who wants to be in a club where you can't leave without being punished? K#Jion a golf club or a tennis club, get the benefits. Leave, and lose them, but don't get kicked for doing so.

What are the regulations for USA / Canada / Asia etc? I don't think they will just allow everybody in without paperwork....

You won't get punished for leaving a "club", but obviously it's impossible then to still have all the advantages.

Everything else ist politics.

• What are the regulations for USA / Canada / Asia etc? I don't think they will just allow everybody in without paperwork....

You won't get punished for leaving a "club", but obviously it's impossible then to still have all the advantages.

Everything else ist politics.

1/ No-one expects NO paperwork, but if the EU impose paperwork over and above the norm, is that fair?

2/ Us bands etc don't have the advantages, AND their travel costs are higher, yet they manage, so I think there's a lot of "moaning" in the article.

We'd never get a deal on this anyway, as France veto everything that does not give THEM special rights regarding protection of their audio-visual industry, and the right to cross-subsidise their own output.

Ian

• And yet bands/artists can tour other places like USA/Canada/Australia/Asia - so, 2 possibilities, either it will be the same or easier as for those, OR it will be harder, in which case, it clearly WILL be the EU's fault.

Its not about comparing how easy or not it is for bands to tour outside the EU. It about us being outside the club and comparing with others also outside the club .If it's going to be harder to tour there than bands from the USA then I guess it would be the EUs fault and it would be some kind of punishment. I suspect not.

• Its not about comparing how easy or not it is for bands to tour outside the EU. It about us being outside the club and comparing with others also outside the club .If it's going to be harder to tour there than bands from the USA then I guess it would be the EUs fault and it would be some kind of punishment. I suspect not.

In which case British bands, who happily tour the US, should have nothing to worry about.

Ian

• Us bands etc don't have the advantages, AND their travel costs are higher, yet they manage, so I think there's a lot of "moaning" in the article.

It's unfair and misleading to dismiss those acts as just moaning. Big high-profile acts from the UK and US won't generally be financially impacted but the artists in that piece aren't big earners and have dedicated followings in EU countries, touring there often. Obviously they are going to feel the pinch, which in turn will obviously follow no longer being in the club, so to speak, and the additional costs that entails due to 'loss of privileges'. It's fair enough to point that out, they're not whinging.

US acts of similar size often don't tour beyond the American continent due to the costs. I'm a fan of many US acts who aren't big-hitters and I've never got to see them as they tour Europe rarely if at all despite having a fan base here. Most musicians either do ok, break even or run at a loss. It's not a case of "Oh well, non-EU acts tour here/UK acts tour outside the EU so what's the problem".

The obvious thing looming over all this at the moment is of course the impact by covid on touring for all acts of any size.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Looks like it's still not what it seems to be

https://www.independent.co.uk/…s-eu-brexit-b1784600.html

• The days when you can read some news in a newspaper, or watch some news on tv, and expect it to be 100% reliable and true are long gone. They spin it to suit their own narrative, especially with political subjects.

I can't think of any EU bands other than Abba, Vangelis, and Kraftwerk, only one of those tours, so it's the EU's loss if they want to make life more difficult for UK touring bands

😂

Abandon all reason

• The days when you can read some news in a newspaper, or watch some news on tv, and expect it to be 100% reliable and true are long gone. They spin it to suit their own narrative, especially with political subjects.

I can't think of any EU bands other than Abba, Vangelis, and Kraftwerk, only one of those tours, so it's the EU's loss if they want to make life more difficult for UK touring bands

Rammstein are a German metal band who still tour.

• 10 Downing Street confirm that, rather than the EU refusing a request from the UK government to allow post-brexit visa-free touring, an offer of this by the EU was declined by the UK. Meaning that Johnson lied to the Parliamentary Liaison Committee by stating the "EU bad" version.

There once was a time when this sort of thing led to a resignation but of course there's no chance of that these days, let alone any media taking him to task, heaven forbid.

Looks like it's still not what it seems to be

https://www.independent.co.uk/…s-eu-brexit-b1784600.html

Abandon all reason