Scotland celebrate Burns Night in an Out of This World way!

• This is a solid contribution to our planetary defences from Scotland. It will repel a wide range of hostile entities. I will sleep better tonight.

From which I assume you are not a fan of the haggis. At risk of doing that annoying "Ah but you don't know what you're talking about" thing by which you'd rightly be irritated - are you certain you've had decent ones? There is some very inferior stuff out there calling itself 'haggis' when it has no right to.

Since moving to the Black Isle in November I haven't yet had a chance to try the local one but they only had giant ones available, and it's just me having it so I'll hold out for a more sensible-sized one. Even then there's usually leftovers, which means a delicious breakfast of haggis on toast with a fried egg on top.

Abandon all reason

• You're in Scotland? My father was from Dunscore, 9 miles from Dumfries.

I'm on the eastern seaboard of the US at present! Scotland is beautiful though. The people are terrific, even if they do strange things like deep fry chocolate bars (not that I, coming from the land of curry cheese chips, and currently residing in the land of Dunkin Donuts, can talk).

From which I assume you are not a fan of the haggis. At risk of doing that annoying "Ah but you don't know what you're talking about" thing by which you'd rightly be irritated - are you certain you've had decent ones? There is some very inferior stuff out there calling itself 'haggis' when it has no right to.

Since moving to the Black Isle in November I haven't yet had a chance to try the local one but they only had giant ones available, and it's just me having it so I'll hold out for a more sensible-sized one. Even then there's usually leftovers, which means a delicious breakfast of haggis on toast with a fried egg on top.

I have to confess my exposure is limited to a couple of drunken takeouts. Your breakfast sounds like it would be a good cure! Seriously I have no doubt there's high quality stuff out there. No offense intended by my inane comment.

• 1/ I'm on the eastern seaboard of the US at present! Scotland is beautiful though. The people are terrific, even if they do strange things like deep fry chocolate bars (not that I, coming from the land of curry cheese chips, and currently residing in the land of Dunkin Donuts, can talk).

2/ I have to confess my exposure is limited to a couple of drunken takeouts. Your breakfast sounds like it would be a good cure! Seriously I have no doubt there's high quality stuff out there. No offense intended by my inane comment.

1/ Ah. Funny you should mention the chocolate based cuisine, for someone has posted a comment on the YouTube page saying this is the first step of Scotland's space programme, which will terminate in deep frying Mars! Of, and since you're American, please excuse the excess letters in "programme"! ;)

2/ Backdrifter is right, we've discussed this one this very board before, but Haggis should be lamb based, yet some you find are pork, and even the one in this video is a mixture, but it's pretty good. McSween's is better, but harder to obtain. That said, I believe the US has banned haggis imports anyway.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• 1/ Ah. Funny you should mention the chocolate based cuisine, for someone has posted a comment on the YouTube page saying this is the first step of Scotland's space programme, which will terminate in deep frying Mars! Of, and since you're American, please excuse the excess letters in "programme"! ;)

I'm not american I just live here! I am a celt, west of ireland. I haven't integrated as well as I could have - blue is still a colour, water freezes at 0c and your haggis goes down your oesophagus (once you've taken off the aluminium wrapping!).

• It's interesting how certain things become a widely-held perception - having spent many years visiting Scotland and now living here I've very rarely come across any offerings of deep-fried battered chocolate bars. A few years ago in Edinburgh I tried one (Mars) from a chippie near where I stayed. It was okay - not terrible and while I wouldn't rule out having it again I'm admittedly not in a hurry to do so. As it is, eating a mars bar the normal way is something I generally do no more than once or twice a year, if that.

It's one of those things that I can only describe as being like... well, exactly what it is. It was a mars bar that had partially melted inside a coating of crispy batter. If you can imagine that, you've as good as had one.

Some Chinese restaurants and takeaways in the UK offer deep-fried battered ice cream which is actually quite an interesting experience.

What I've never yet tried, and am pretty unlikely ever to, is any of the other deep-fried battered offerings such as haggis, sausage, pizza slice or as I once heard described, a hamburger - literally burger and bun, the whole thing deep fried in batter, then served in another bun. There's a sort of loop of evil genius to that! It should be completed by battering and deep-frying the whole thing.

Abandon all reason