BBC: Patrick Woodroffe about the Genesis tour lighting

• Official Post

Patrick Woodroofe will tell us something about the 2021 tour lighting design. 2nd Feb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cszvcj

• Sounds interesting. Hope it will be available to stream online as well.

Should be able to, as it's a BBC World Service item. Most restricted items are domestic, where the licence payer has funded it and copyright is an issue.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

Anybody heard this already and is willing to

share his / her thoughts? Phil Morris maybe?

• Bits of audio of (presumably a backing singer) singing HBTS (solo), which may feature a dry ice effect (remember that?)

I need to sit down and listen to it again more closely but are you sure that wasn't Collins singing? My immediate thought was that it was. If it was one of the backing singers, they sounded very ropey, even for a rehearsal.

Phil Morris

• That was a nice listening. I'm glad they filmed it all professionally and I'm looking to seeing that film - either as a bonus to a concert release or as a stand-alone release.

Of course I sincerely hope that the tour will take place sometime soon, but to be honest I don't see how that would fit in with the current political development in the UK and in Western countries as a whole.

Woodroffe being phoned by Peter Gabriel during interview, well that may be a clever way to hint to loyal fans that some kind of reunion is being prepared. Or it means nothing at all. But I've said for years now, that if a reunion with Gabriel and Hackett should take place it should be short - only a few songs on a couple of concerts. Anything beyond that is unrealistic.

Regarding the singing in Home By The Sea: no, that's not Collins, it has to be one of the backing vocalists.

• it does beg the question as to why would PG be ringing him?...unless planning some solo stuff, then maybe discussing the lighting for when he descends on a wire in full fox head 😊

Personally i would be suprised if Peter is involved, but in these strange times, anything is possible

• Woodroffe being phoned by Peter Gabriel during interview, well that may be a clever way to hint to loyal fans that some kind of reunion is being prepared. Or it means nothing at all. But I've said for years now, that if a reunion with Gabriel and Hackett should take place it should be short - only a few songs on a couple of concerts. Anything beyond that is unrealistic.

I agree with Simon's suggestion. My immediate thought was that Gabriel was thinking ahead to future solo projects and sounding him out. Or maybe it was Woodroffe's birthday and Gabriel was ringing with felicitations.

I do wish the BBC had not included this bit as the conspiracy theorists have been triggered.

Phil Morris

• indeed..although with the band playing in the same town as Steve at the same time...you have to think their paths will cross and who knows . Sure Steve and mike would enjoy a cosy lunch together

• I do wish the BBC had not included this bit as the conspiracy theorists have been triggered.

Those people would be triggered regardless of that reference being there.

If he'd said "We started with a rehearsal list of 23 songs..." and "...we've been running through the lighting changes for a few weeks now"

23? That's a 2 and a 3. And 2 + 3 = 5 - a clear reference to the 5-piece! And 'FOR a few weeks' - the FOR clearly means they'll be on FOUR songs together. It's happening!

I wouldn't be able to resist having some fun with it, I'd refer to a really helpful person being 'a total angel' and trying to resolve some thorny tech problem as 'we weren't sure we were going to hack it'

Abandon all reason

• 2hrs, 20-24 songs have been rehearsed, included snippets or mentions of FOF, HOYH, HBTS, LOC, and Domino (obviously).

I was just thinking, although I'm 100% sure it won't happen, with up to 24 songs rehearsed and a 2 hour setlist, they *could* theoretically mix up the setlist from night to night.

Y'know, swapping out White Mountain for Entangled and so on...

Haha, kind of kidding, more like playing That's All instead of Jesus He Knows Me or Jesus He Knows Me instead of Land of Confusion one night. Would be kind of nice.