Listening to all studio albums from Trespass until Duke as a full album - Based on an official Vinyl box-set

• Hello people, quite a long post below, but I hope it can be useful to discuss an interesting experience on listening to Genesis.

I have been rediscovering their music with a new vision (or better saying, new "listening habits!") since I was aware that this official Australian vinyl box-set of theirs was once released in 1986:

https://rateyourmusic.com/rele…/genesis/genesis-boxed.p/

It is of course out of print, and I never bought this box. It is an official release that collects all studio albums from Trespass until Duke.

But, what's so interesting, in my view, about it?

Well, firstly, the fact that it features all albums from Trespass until Duke (which is my favorite era of Genesis, their most "proggy" years, and it is my overall favorite sequence of albums ever), but also the fact that I always wished a release that unified all those amazing albums - It is interesting to note that, through this framework, one can see each album as a suite, part of a bigger "work" unifying those albums, which would be the box-set itself.

So, my idea here is the following: Since there's this official vinyl box-set , that spans all studio albums from Trespass until Duke, I suggest to listen that sequence of studio albums as a "big 8h12min album".

Of course it is impossible to listen to 8+ hours of music without stops, so I usually start at the beginning of the day, and listen through it, during work when I can put phones, and also during other activities, and pause when necessary, continuing soon after.

I really felt this musical experience to be really interesting, and in this particular case of those amazing Genesis albums, is very rewarding to me!

Here's my spotify playlist spanning the 9 albums as the box-set:

https://open.spotify.com/playl…si=bxcTICyETD60Nx8SbUAYKQ

Cheers!

• Of course it is impossible to listen to 8+ hours of music without stops

One day when was about 20, when I had the whole day to myself, I played my entire collection of Genesis LPs from beginning to end without stopping. This would have consisted of FGTR (with bonus tracks) through Abacab, including live albums.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• Not something I've done but I wouldn't rule it out, only I'd do all 15 albums and insert all non-album tracks in sequence too. I wonder how many hours that'd be? I'm surprised that Trespass to Duke is 'only' 8 hours as I'd instinctively expect it to be longer, but then I've never sat down to work it out.

One thing I will definitely do some time is listen to all 6 discs of my own Genesis compilation in sequence in one day. They are 80-minute discs so it'd be the same 8-hour stretch. My schedule would be:

(0600 - get up, shower, exercise)

0700-0820 disc 1

(breakfast)

0900-1020 disc 2

(go for a walk)

1130-1250 disc 3

(brief walk, lunch)

1400-1520 disc 4

(coffee break)

1550-1710 disc 5 (my favourite)

(prep dinner, cook, watch Pointless)

2030-2150 disc 6

(watch tv, have a hot chocolate, go to bed)

Alternatively, I'd have breakfast etc then, with a pre-prepared lunch on hand starting from about 9am do a straight-through listen til 5pm (or probably more like 6pm to include toilet breaks and going out for a pint or two of fresh air - no I'm not taking them out of the house with me and certainly not into the toilet).

I did actually plan and schedule a personal 24-hour Kubrick dvd filmathon and also thought about a Spielberg one, but haven't actually done either).

Abandon all reason

• Not the first multi-disc set. There's the 1982 Canadian 11xvinyl box which covers SEBTP through to Abacab. Later, of course, we have the 3 vinyl sets with the Davis remixes, mirroring the SACD/DVD sets.

Phil Morris

• I fantasize about doing listenathons when my kids have grown. Am intensely looking forward to watching all of Twin Peaks the return in one go too. On a big TV turned up VERY LOUD.

Backdrifter - I haven't made a six disc compilation but if I did it would look a lot like yours. I think I have three playlists covering 70-75, 76-80 and 81-98, then a giant one with all three mixed together.