Chester Thompson interview in US Rolling Stone (4th Feb 2021)

• There's always more to a story, it is interesting that Chester has been as honest as possible. But lets just say that Phil is like most other humans on the earth, not perfect.

Fair point, we can look up to the Gents but they are human and Phil's predicament has been documented throughout the years.

I guess what could be a bit disappointing, considering the decades they worked together, is the fact that Phil never tried to mend fences and again Chester is being a real class act about it.

Something else that bugged me, is when Phil lately said about Nick's drumming that it's the first time he has a drummer he doesn't have to tatter at.

Now, I understand he has a tour to promote, I understand Nick's his child and I'm sure he is pretty good but considering he worked with Bruford and Thompson that wasn't neither a fair, nor an elegant remark. Chester played with Zappa and Weather Report, he wasn't certainly daunted by the complexity of Genesis music and as for Phil's solo output, well....

• Phil has worked with Bill Bruford, Chester Thompson and Ricky Lawson. On the Both Sides tour documentary he is seen reporting back to all of the band members, even the loyal Daryl. Daryl and Phil have co-written songs as well.

So I think that kind of perfectionism is to be expected, of course what went down between Chester and Phil in 2010, was beyond right. You kind of hope that Phil does the decent thing, and that they put their issues to rest.

TGA

• Something else that bugged me, is when Phil lately said about Nick's drumming that it's the first time he has a drummer he doesn't have to tatter at.

Now, I understand he has a tour to promote, I understand Nick's his child and I'm sure he is pretty good but considering he worked with Bruford and Thompson that wasn't neither a fair, nor an elegant remark. Chester played with Zappa and Weather Report, he wasn't certainly daunted by the complexity of Genesis music and as for Phil's solo output, well....

I remember this as well but couldn't remember where I saw the quote. He seemed rather dismissive of all the drummers he has had in the past and I wasn't sure where that was coming from. He has had nothing but top end drumming talent to work with so I found that a bit odd.

• Very interesting - thanks for sharing

I am not surprised they had less of a friendship and more of a professional business relation.

But I was surprised he calls Steve a friend!

Also, it’s good that Chester has spoken openly about what happened with him and Phil (back in 2010, wasn’t aware that the Motown shows ended their work together).

To be honest I got a bit bored to read the rumors about this. On the other hand, I always thought it was a “natural ending”, i.e. Chester didn’t want to you anymore and Phil wanted his son on the drums...

Now I know there’s another reason.

Apart from that, this interview is almost some kind of biography! Just a stunning article!

• I am not surprised they had less of a friendship and more of a professional business relation.

But I was surprised he calls Steve a friend!

I agree! Also, Chester played with Steve (after the late 70ies) only a couple of gigs in Japan. Actually, I was expecting Chester to play drums during the Genesis Revisited tour.

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• I saw Steve perform at The Strand in Redondo Beach in the late 80s/early 90s, and Chester Thompson was at the gig. Both of them signed my copy of I Know What I Like, along with the author, Armando Gallo, who was also in attendance.

• I saw Steve perform at The Strand in Redondo Beach in the late 80s/early 90s, and Chester Thompson was at the gig. Both of them signed my copy of I Know What I Like, along with the author, Armando Gallo, who was also in attendance.

Meticulous and thoughtful deployment of the bold function there. Well done.

Abandon all reason

• Not sure I agree, of course I don't know the guy but he has built a reputation for NOT being like that, that episode seems really out of character.

Phil can be a nice guy, but his personal life has always been messy, and does tend to have a bit of a temper and control freak problem. I respect him immensely as a singer and drummer, though.

• Phil can be a nice guy, but his personal life has always been messy, and does tend to have a bit of a temper and control freak problem. I respect him immensely as a singer and drummer, though.

As I said, I don't know him, the troubles in his personal life have been documented, also because he's always been painfully candid about it. He's also known for being a perfectionist but as for his temper, he doesn't really have a reputation for that.

I found it very interesting that Chester said that “Steve and I always stayed pretty good friends” but when he mentions Daryl (the only other Genesis member he is still in touch with) he said “We aren’t, like, chums, but we stay in touch.“ Steve Hackett is an absolute class act. I saw him in Clearwater Fl a few years ago and his mother was at the show. Steve seems like the nicest of all of them.

• There's always more to a story, it is interesting that Chester has been as honest as possible. But lets just say that Phil is like most other humans on the earth, not perfect.

I'm not sure if it was just drinking that cause problems, Phil has been known to indulge. But the way he treated Chester was disgusting. There was indeed chairs thrown, a table turned over and some disgusting language from Phil. But as Phil once said in an anti drugs/drink commercial. Drink and Drugs can wreck lives.

TGA

How “disgusting” was his language? I hope he didn’t use the sort of words that destroy a reputation if you know what I mean... not that my concern in that scenario would be Phil’s reputation. Honestly the whole thing is so upsetting. From 1977-2007 Chester Thompson was 1/5th of the live Genesis experience. It unrealistic that all 5 members of the live band are perfect people and close friends but for Chester to just be thrown out like yesterday’s trash is wrong. To be clear I think Nic Collins drumming is great but double drumming has been a crucial part of live Genesis. I had hopped Nic and Chester would both participate in the reunion... oh well