Genesis Fans.

• Think I touched on this before somewhere. Anyway I been browsing at some fans sites on FB. Jethro Tull, Motorhead, Kate Bush, Budgie and yes I confess a couple of Genesis ones. ( Too much time on my hands) One thing that strikes me is the unadulterated enthusiasm everyone seems to have for their favourite artists. Not one bad word for any of them, apart from Genesis fans . The sites I looked I believe are the nicer ones but still the enthusiasm doesn't compare to those fans of other bands. Still going on about PC or PG after all these years."they became a pop band" " you're not a real Genesis fan" etc etc. .Present company excepted ( which is why I like it here) they are are strange old bunch.

• Among the hardcore Tull fans, I think there is a fair share who are discontent about one thing or another.

On social media I’ve seen a lot of griping amongst Tull fans, complaining about Anderson’s persistence in touring despite the deteriorating condition of his voice, and then many further angered by his split with guitarist Martin Barre.

• Think I touched on this before somewhere. Anyway I been browsing at some fans sites on FB. Jethro Tull, Motorhead, Kate Bush, Budgie and yes I confess a couple of Genesis ones. ( Too much time on my hands) One thing that strikes me is the unadulterated enthusiasm everyone seems to have for their favourite artists. Not one bad word for any of them, apart from Genesis fans . The sites I looked I believe are the nicer ones but still the enthusiasm doesn't compare to those fans of other bands. Still going on about PC or PG after all these years."they became a pop band" " you're not a real Genesis fan" etc etc. .Present company excepted ( which is why I like it here) they are are strange old bunch.

Keeps it interesting I think! I take it as a natural symptom of how much the band evolved over the years.

• yes i agree. I came off some genesis FB pages due to some of the ridiculous comments/views being posted...some of which were quite vitriolic. I listen to music to enjoy myself and bands/artists can do whatever they choose..some stuff i like, some not so , but not an issue . Some people get so worked up, it is quite amusing ...especially the same old arguments

• yes i agree. I came off some genesis FB pages due to some of the ridiculous comments/views being posted...some of which were quite vitriolic. I listen to music to enjoy myself and bands/artists can do whatever they choose..some stuff i like, some not so , but not an issue . Some people get so worked up, it is quite amusing ...especially the same old arguments

I haven't done I great deal of fan sites other than Genesis over the years, only really Motorhead ( who never veered a great deal on musical direction!)and Kate Bush. But you are right ,it's the anger , vitriol and arguments which is annoying, amusing and puzzling amongst so much Genesis fans.

• I've been in a Queen fan forum and got out after a short time because the snobbery was impertinent. "Queen II is the only ever Queen album worth mentioning" etc. I found this Genesis forum resp. its preceding forums much more mature and respectful.

Same here, because the Phil vs Peter & prog vs pop argument can only be made so many times.

I was a member of the Mark In Time Mark Knopfler forum but I was so envious of how many people had seen him, so many times, that I left. This probably makes no sense but I felt I didn't belong.

I could write a very long essay about my involvment with Eagles fan sites. I will only say that I was a founder member of The Border and left two years ago when I could no longer put up with those who supported the 'band' continuing after Glenn Frey's death.

• interesting pov...i don't think anyone would judge you on how many times have seen an artist , as could be lots of reasons for this, although i know some die hards see it as a badge of honour

As for the eagles...as i said earlier,.music is a personal choice and you do whatever you feel comfortable with

• interesting pov...i don't think anyone would judge you on how many times have seen an artist , as could be lots of reasons for this, although i know some die hards see it as a badge of honour

As for the eagles...as i said earlier,.music is a personal choice and you do whatever you feel comfortable with

The badge of honour thing is worn by fans in different ways. There are many people on this board who have seen Genesis while I have not. It's not a problem. Yet on the Knopfler board, as I had only seem him twice with Dire Straits & once on his own, that wasn't apparently enough. Or at least that is how I interpreted it. This is getting off topic, sorry.

• The badge of honour thing is worn by fans in different ways. There are many people on this board who have seen Genesis while I have not. It's not a problem. Yet on the Knopfler board, as I had only seem him twice with Dire Straits & once on his own, that wasn't apparently enough. Or at least that is how I interpreted it. This is getting off topic, sorry.

I saw Knopfler with the Notting Hill Billies years ago I was pretty bored with it to be honest , if my rather poor memory is still good he did one song all night by Dire Straits , also saw Dire Straits at the Birmingham NEC and I thought that was Soul less!, a complete contradiction of the incredible show I saw at the Bridlington Spa Theatre on the Love Over Gold Tour. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen and having space to move what a show that was. Sorry for equally going off topic!.

• Over the years I've found that some Genesis fans - aside from the usual 'internal' disagreements about eras etc - can get fiercely defensive against any perceived slight on the band. But I suppose fans of many other acts do the same about their own idols. Perhaps as a Genesis fan myself I noticed it more keenly when other fans were overly sensitive.

I haven't visited many other band forums etc but have noticed, to pick one example, U2 fans being quite combative about different eras, usually with a majority being very down on the Zooropa-Passengers-Pop phase - which I like a lot as it happens! I've also noticed Coldplay fans being very dismissive about the Viva album (which even the band more or less abandoned on subsequent tours) but which I think is their best album by a very great distance.

I briefly subscribed to an XTC fanzine in the 80s. In one edition it quoted a Paul Weller review of an XTC single in which he was unenthusiastic and said he found their style quite spiky and precise. I thought it was an interesting comment and saw what he meant. In the next fanzine issue, my god, fans had written in and stopped just short of demanding his public execution! It was one of the main things that put me off fanclubs - that devotion to the point of reacting like snarling attack dogs to even the mildest criticism.

This forum is pretty good. Members' preferences have become gradually apparent and on balance there's a good mix. There have been one or two members insisting the band died in 1977, nothing after that is worth listening to, and simply a money-grabbing exercise. A recent set of exchanges soured when the person asserted that anyone disagreeing lacked understanding. But that sort of nonsense is rare. On the whole it's an enjoyable board.

Abandon all reason

• Yes I like this site for the same reasons. Always good to be able to talk about the different eras and discuss our different preferences and I quite like a bit of an argument myself ( so long as it doesn't get personal) but never really understand the anger that some people seem to display. I find so many Genesis fans don't need to have a go at detractors , they do it themselves.

• I never saw Dire Straits on the Love over Gold tour. Obviously I have heard Alchemy a number of times over the years.

Just spellbinding to watch a magical band in their best incarnation. I have affection for the great songs of the first couple of albums and I do like Brothers in Arms still to this day.

But that album. That tour.

• I never saw Dire Straits on the Love over Gold tour. Obviously I have heard Alchemy a number of times over the years.

Just spellbinding to watch a magical band in their best incarnation. I have affection for the great songs of the first couple of albums and I do like Brothers in Arms still to this day.

But that album. That tour.

There is a topic about them. I apologise for dragging this so far off topic.

• I went to see that Straits show on a coach from Hull, forgot who did the tours then but I went all over the place with them for years and years. Both Straits Concerts, Oasis at Loch Lomond, Thin Lizzy at Leeds Queens Hall. Good old days, I remember vividly Telegraph Road. In fact it was so vivid I can particularly remember the introduction in Stereo flirting from the left speaker stack to right. The sound quality of that show was exceptional. The crowd were all well behaved and I had at least three feet either side of me to move in and I was about 1/4 of the way back . Wish they had of recorded that but it was on the same tour at Alchemy was recorded.

• Official Post

I agree that everyone in this forum seems pretty cool and accommodating. I’ve only been a member on here for maybe a week and half. I’ve never seen Genesis live but it doesn’t seem like that is a qualifying factor for having to be apart of this forum. For me, I was two young in ‘86 and ‘92, and just couldn’t get to a concert in ‘07 because of where I was at in my life. I think a lot of people In their late thirties and early-mid 40’s may be in the same boat. If they do come to the states on this next tour, I’m determined to see them. In the end, it doesn’t diminish my love for the band.

• I agree that everyone in this forum seems pretty cool and accommodating. I’ve only been a member on here for maybe a week and half. I’ve never seen Genesis live but it doesn’t seem like that is a qualifying factor for having to be apart of this forum. For me, I was two young in ‘86 and ‘92, and just couldn’t get to a concert in ‘07 because of where I was at in my life. I think a lot of people In their late thirties and early-mid 40’s may be in the same boat. If they do come to the states on this next tour, I’m determined to see them. In the end, it doesn’t diminish my love for the band.

I'm in the same boat except I was lucky to see them on the CAS tour. I had tickets to two shows in Germany in 2007 but wasn't able to go, something I will regret forever. The concert footage of them in their prime makes me envious of the people who saw those shows, but I totally agree - doesn't make me like the band less, in fact they're my tied-with-two-others favorite band ever!