Rediscovering Rush

• Now come on, you can't tell us about your live compilation then not post the setlist! We're waiting...

(taps fingers, raises eyebrows....)

Okay. I will say that this is really newer stuff heavy, because that's what I have the best recordings of. If I picked up some of the older live releases, I'd maybe be able to fill in some of the older songs that I'd want to include.

R30 Overture

Subdivisions

Half the World

Dreamline

Bravado

Time Stand Still

The Pass

The Camera Eye

Leave That Thing Alone

The Main Monkey Business

Ghost of a Chance

Distant Early Warning

One Little Victory

The Analog Kid

Witch Hunt

Red Sector A

Drum Solo

Circumstances

Malignant Narcissism

Entre Nous

Xanadu

The Seeker

La Villa Strangiato

Anthem

Working Man

Passage to Bangkok

Far Cry

YYZ

• nice one..good mixture..but no Spirit or Sawyer?...would be a riot with some fans! 😄

I'll grant you that Spirit is an omission. The encore medley they did in '91 includes that, and I think it's amazing! I have a recording from Chicago, that I really like.

Spirit

2112 (overture)

Finding My Way

La Villa (partial)

Anthem

Red Barchetta (partial)

Spirit (reprise)

I would normally have included that whole bit in my set. But it's broken up into individual tracks, and if I decided to shuffle the playlist, instead of listening to it straight through, some of those bits would seem very out of place.

Sawyer ... I'll just say that I recognize there are some people (maybe even most) who would see that as a glaring omission, and leave it at that.

• Excellent tracklisting and very well-structured. In terms of the material it suits me just fine. In a way I echo the previous comment on TS but if you do a compilation, YOU choose what to put on it - end of story.

I would normally have included that whole bit in my set. But it's broken up into individual tracks, and if I decided to shuffle the playlist, instead of listening to it straight through, some of those bits would seem very out of place.

...then don't put it on shuffle! To me it's utterly baffling why anyone ever does - even more so someone who's nicely constructed and sequenced a playlist and then decides to shuffle it. It'd be like a flower arranger standing back from their work all pleased then immediately scrunching and messing the flowers around.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• Excellent tracklisting and very well-structured. In terms of the material it suits me just fine. In a way I echo the previous comment on TS but if you do a compilation, YOU choose what to put on it - end of story.

Thank you.

...then don't put it on shuffle! To me it's utterly baffling why anyone ever does - even more so someone who's nicely constructed and sequenced a playlist and then decides to shuffle it. It'd be like a flower arranger standing back from their work all pleased then immediately scrunching and messing the flowers around.

A totally reasonable line of thinking, and one I can't really argue with. I think what it comes down to is time. If I'm driving home from work, or riding the bike trainer, I may not have how ever many hours long the whole playlist is. Rather than always trying to remember where I left off, and not wanting to always start at the beginning, sometimes I just want some live Rush (or Genesis, Floyd, Metallica, or Counting Crows, each of which I've also built live setlists), and don't need it to be in a specific order, so shuffle works.

I totally get what you're saying though. Can you imagine listening to The Lamb on shuffle, just because you don't want to start at the beginning every time? Why on earth would anyone do that?!? Similarly, why shuffle a curated live set? I get it.

• I saw Rush 3 times . Moving Pictures tour definitely and I think permanent waves and lastly clockwork angels. Quite a gap. CA was my favourite of the three. Everyone says how great live they were but not for me. Good especially Mr Peart who was outstanding live but generally they were a bit stale . They concentrated on getting everything right / perfect but no personality .