SMALLCREEP'S DAY suite vs. the original book

• I've never read the original SMALLCREEP'S DAY book and never plan to; but having had the album since the early '80s, I was somewhat surprised when I eventually found out how different the suite (and the brief plot summary in the album notes) was from the source material. To be honest, the suite (and plot summary) left me with the impression that the original "Smallcreep's Day" must have been some happy little children's book!

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• It's a very striking and strange book, at times quite disturbing and macabre, and with a fairly nightmarish ending. So indeed, no very much not a quirky kids' story! It's a very singular work both in tone and content, and literally in being its author's only novel.

I've never paid much attention to the album, heard it once and was left underwhelmed and with no urge to revisit it, but your comment reminds me I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there were raised eyebrows over Rutherford's "niceyfication" of the story. Pity as it'd make good source material for interesting treatment. Ahem - I've made some preliminary notes on a possible stage version of it, and how it could be done in a non-standard way, and retain its creeping sense of unsettling bizarreness.

Abandon all reason

• I went to great lengths, pre-eBay, to get a second hand copy of the paperback. Blimey, it's heavy going but does give some insight on the album.

• does give some insight on the album.

I'm honestly surprised to hear that, given what minimal reference the suite seems to make to the book's plot.

The things I've heard about the book generally don't give me the impression that I'd want to read it, although I'll admit to being curious about the ending -- having heard various descriptions of it that all use emphatic language and yet say very different things.

As for the album, I've loved it since first hearing it, although I can also understand why some might not like it.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I went to great lengths, pre-eBay, to get a second hand copy of the paperback. Blimey, it's heavy going but does give some insight on the album.

Barter Books, Alnwick, Northumberland. That's where I got mine, on holiday a while back. First edition paperback.

I'll admit to being curious about the ending -- having heard various descriptions of it that all use emphatic language and yet say very different things.

That's actually oddly appropriate! It somehow fits that there are such shapeshifting accounts of the ending.

Abandon all reason