GENESIS BOX SETS LIVE 1973-2007 AND MOVIE 1981 - 2007 ; SHOULD I BUY THEM OR NOT???????

• GENESIS BOX SETS LIVE 1973 - 2007 and MOVIE 1981 - 2007

TO ALL GENESIS FANS: I AM CALLING FOR HELP!!!!

Should I buy or not ??? I do own the three other box set 1970-75/1976-1982 and 1983-1998.

WHAT ABOUT THE GENESIS LIVE 1973-2007 BOX SET?? and the GENESIS MOVIE BOX SET 1981-2007??

These two box sets are so close to each other... what are the real differences between them?? AND also I feel like they are duplicating the three main box sets??

THANKS FOR ANY HELP OF ANY KIND FROM ANYONE ANYWHERE.:!::!::!::?::?::?:

Best Regards

• Official Post

No

The Live Boxset contains the official Live-albums, some of them in 5.1

see here

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…t-CD-DVD-review-s344.html

The Movie Box contains the concert films, see here

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…D-boxset-review-s346.html

• I did the same as you.

I bought the three box sets with the studio cds.

Stayed away from the live box set. I believe the Live at the Rainbow CD is missing Watcher. I love live albums but already own all those cds.

The video box. I already own all the dvds including the fantastic double disc live the way we walk.

So my advice would be save your money. Buy the new Transatlantic 3cd.

• Official Post

see my links above - Watcher is only part of the DVD with the 5.1 mix. But Live at the Rainbow is an extra anyway.

So min the end it's a matter of whether or not you want to have the live albums as well (no visua extras) and the concert films.

Transatlantic ... well, everyone has his/her own taste. From my perspective, this is a very bad alternative ;)

• I like the album box sets, which are remixes. Many albums are enhanced by the remixes - for me, particularly the Lamb and And Then There Were Three. The more recent albums - IT onward - don't seem to benefit as much. I love some of the 5.1 mixes for some albums or even some specific songs. Some people lament the missing or altered bits in the remixes (e.g., lack of outro guitar solo in Misunderstanding), but most of these don't bother me. You also get the non-album tracks with the related albums. The interviews about each album are also interesting, although they are all available for watching on YouTube. There is another thread that goes into details about preferences for these remixes in comparison to the Definitive Edition Remasters from 1994 and the original mixes: thread.

The live box is worth it for the 5.1 mixes for Live and Seconds Out. It is unfortunate that the later albums were not given this treatment.

The movie box is OK in that you get Three Sides Live and the Mama tour video on DVD finally, but no upgrading of the visuals. A few of the extras are interesting (primarily documentaries) if you didn't have them previously from other sources. Overall it is a disappointment as it could have been a lot better.

• And that was crucial for me.

I paid £25 for my double disc Live the way we walk back many years ago. I love flicking around the different viewing areas of the arena. Usually end up back in the mosh pit by the end of the first song.

• No question whatsoever. A no brainer. You HAVE to buy the other two. You don't need to know how good or bad they may be . You need to complete the set it's as simple as that.

• And that was crucial for me.

I paid £25 for my double disc Live the way we walk back many years ago. I love flicking around the different viewing areas of the arena. Usually end up back in the mosh pit by the end of the first song.

I never knew Genesis had a mosh pit!

• The only one I missed was the "Charcoal" Live Box. Something I regret and would like to have now but the only way to get a copy is through EBay at ridiculous prices.

Luckily, I own the other cubic box sets and the Archives Vol. I & II that were released earlier. They are all out of print now.

• I’d like it if they produced the live collection on vinyl. They did a half-speed master of Seconds Out a couple of years ago, which was very good, and I’d hoped that this was heralding a broader vinyl reissue schedule, but alas, no.

They could improvise and blend the ‘shorts’ and the ‘longs’ to make for a concert- accurate running order. Given the appetite for vinyl right now - and notwithstanding the debacle over the ‘not quite 180 gram’ weight of the vinyl in the ‘red’ set - I’m surprised they haven’t gone for this. I have all three of the studio album sets, and they take pride of place in my music collection. They are simply missing the ‘no-brainer’ live set! My credit card is starting to twitch at the mere thought of such an item!

• I’d like it if they produced the live collection on vinyl. They did a half-speed master of Seconds Out a couple of years ago, which was very good, and I’d hoped that this was heralding a broader vinyl reissue schedule, but alas, no.

They could improvise and blend the ‘shorts’ and the ‘longs’ to make for a concert- accurate running order. Given the appetite for vinyl right now - and notwithstanding the debacle over the ‘not quite 180 gram’ weight of the vinyl in the ‘red’ set - I’m surprised they haven’t gone for this. I have all three of the studio album sets, and they take pride of place in my music collection. They are simply missing the ‘no-brainer’ live set! My credit card is starting to twitch at the mere thought of such an item!

1) The Seconds Out Davis mix was first issued on vinyl in 2012 as a 35th anniversary edition.

2) The Longs and Shorts were combined in the way you describe for the CD box set edition.

Phil Morris

• [1] Yes, have that one also. The half-speed recut was from 2019. Haven’t compared the two, but bought the latest issue as my previous 2012 copy had acquired a couple of scratches.

[2] So, the job’s half done then; great!

• I have two of the three CD/SACD sets, and I don’t think I’ve bothered to watch any of the video content on the DVDs. Same with the recent Jethro Tull sets. Doubtless I’ve got some King Crimson video footage on one or more discs. Maybe I’m in a minority, but I’ve never been interested in watching musicians perform music (unless they’re in front of me, in the same room/stadium/field).