Ant - Geese & The Ghost (interview 1977)

• Ahead of this week's anniversary of the release of The G&G (actually in commemoration of Mike Giles' birthday today) I was reading the transcript of an interview Ant did with US radio in 1977. I was surprised to read the interviewer say: "late last year, we got this album [G&G]..." Given that recording continued into November '76 and then mixing was required, this seems quick for promotional copies to be circulated, even in rough form.

I was further surprised by this answer to the inevitable touring question: "I'd love to take this album on the road. I don't think it will happen for a while 'cos it's going to need a lot of resources; a lot of back-up; a lot of musicians. Heavens! I could conceive by early next year, with the second album under my belt, taking both albums on the road..."

Phil Morris

• Official Post

indeed strange

but on the other hand - I got my promo of UP (silver pressed CD digipak) End of June 2002, and as you know, they didn't even have the final versions on that one. So it's possible they did promo stuff like that. On the other hand - has anyone ever seen this Geese promo?

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “Ant - Geese & The Ghost” to “Ant - Geese & The Ghost (interview 1977)”.
  • Further to my original interview quote, I just rediscovered this today from a 1981 interview:

"...It [the prospect of touring] would be fun, honestly, to have some of the stuff done live. Besides which, I miss the volume. The volume is really stirring. But there it is; you can't have everything. There are so many drawbacks to touring that in a way I'm happier to put up with the slight sadness of not hearing some of the stuff live..."

• Further to my original interview quote, I just rediscovered this today from a 1981 interview:

"...It [the prospect of touring] would be fun, honestly, to have some of the stuff done live. Besides which, I miss the volume. The volume is really stirring. But there it is; you can't have everything. There are so many drawbacks to touring that in a way I'm happier to put up with the slight sadness of not hearing some of the stuff live..."

ok. It confuses me a bit. If he was really suffering from stage fright, why would he consider touring and talk about it?

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• ok. It confuses me a bit. If he was really suffering from stage fright, why would he consider touring and talk about it?

Well, clearly time had moved on and he was older. Yet the stage fright line continues to be trotted out. I have another interview with him from 1981 where he again talks about the prospect of touring.

Phil Morris

• Official Post

Well, clearly time had moved on and he was older. Yet the stage fright line continues to be trotted out. I have another interview with him from 1981 where he again talks about the prospect of touring.

Phil Morris

Interesting. When he came to the Anthony Phillips Event we organized in Germany in 2014, he brought his guitar. He later told us he wanted to play a couple of things, but then decided to leave things as they were and not do it

• Interesting. When he came to the Anthony Phillips Event we organized in Germany in 2014, he brought his guitar. He later told us he wanted to play a couple of things, but then decided to leave things as they were and not do it

That's a pity it didn't happen. The 1981 quote I mentioned:

"...It would be fun, honestly, to have some of the stuff done live. Besides which, I miss the volume. The volume is really stirring. But there it is; you can't have everything. There are so many drawbacks to touring that in a way I'm happier to put up with the slight sadness of not hearing some of the stuff live..."