Genesis “Trick Of The Tail” Unreleased UHQR

• I was watching a video yesterday of Chad the Owner of Analogue Productions and Acoustic Sounds showing some of his rare records. They were all white label pressings which he had come by due to being high up in the audiophile vinyl World. I was amazed to see him lift up an unreleased version of Trick of The Tail on the Mobile Fidelity UHQR label!!. apparently this was pressed but not released , what I would give for one of those. As you may know the UHQR by mobile fidelity were released on a handful of titles including Dark Side of The Moon / SGT Pepper etc in black boxes. If they had only released this title in the format as well as the standard version. Would I love to hear that. I guess it would be worth a small fortune and I bet it sounds sensational!.

Edited once, last by Wayne ().

• You can see the video here

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• You can go off some people you know. I was quite happy with my existing 4 copies of ATOTT but then because of you I found out about the Mobile Fidelity version . My niece in the US has just received it on my behalf and will hopefully bring it over in the summer so am excited about that . AND NOW before I have even got my hands on it you have the nerve to tell me about this existing and I will never ever have it unless I win the lottery which I now have to start doing because it's the only way I LL ever be able to make an offer for it which can't be refused . So Genesis continue to make me poorer and I have to start doing the lottery which I won't win so Im poorer still and it's all your fault. Grrrrrrrr. (😁)

• I only found it existed yesterday and I to am as envious as it’s possible to be !, there can’t be that many of them around and he has two of them!. The fact it is on UHQR surely means mobile fidelity had the option of releasing it back in the day and pressed it as a test but decided to abandon going any further.

I think there were only around 8 or 9 original UHQR released

Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman

Floyd - DSOTM

Alan Parsons Project - I Robot

Beatles - Sgt Pepper

Holst - The Planets

Supertramp - Breakfast in America

and a couple of others that I can’t remember off hand , all go for silly money now probably over £300 each for the lesser titles. Heaven knows how much this would sell for as it’s never been heard by fans like us and no doubt the band haven’t heard it either. I can only think that sonically it’s the holy grail of Genesis vinyl , the standard Mofi is brilliant I shudder to think how good this one will sound !. Maybe if we both start doing a line on the Lottery every week we can put an offer in!, I’m sure they are actually beyond any reasonable prices. What price could you put on records that no one has ever had the chance to hear before ?. I think one of the other titles was by Guitarist Earl Klugg and another was a classical / opera album, but I am uncertain.

Edited 6 times, last by Wayne ().

• Audio luddite here in peace. I love it when music sounds great. If streaming or downloading I try to get the highest quality files I can (flac or what). I enjoy vinyl although the time I get to listen to it is short these days... I have a pair of elac bookshelf speakers I *think* sound great and I just treated myself to a pair of sennheiser wireless over ear headphones. I will occasionally research different vinyl releases to see what's thought to sound good.

So I am interested in this topic. I have to ask... Is there no upper limit to improvement in audio quality? In other words, what is it about this golden egg of Genesis vinyl that would sound so much better than the best commercially available one? Beyond a certain point, how can the aural quality of drums, guitars, keyboards and other instruments be enhanced in their journey from the musician making the sound 45 years ago to the sound entering my eardrum today? Is the goal to get as close as possible to being in the room where the sound was made at the time the sound was made?

Sorry for the stupid questions and don't want to detail the thread by any means. It is interesting that this vinyl exists and that some dude who may not be a big Genesis fan (or may be, I don't know him from Adam) has it.

Also Mr.Farmer: good luck with the lottery!

• Audio luddite here in peace. I love it when music sounds great. If streaming or downloading I try to get the highest quality files I can (flac or what). I enjoy vinyl although the time I get to listen to it is short these days... I have a pair of elac bookshelf speakers I *think* sound great and I just treated myself to a pair of sennheiser wireless over ear headphones. I will occasionally research different vinyl releases to see what's thought to sound good.

So I am interested in this topic. I have to ask... Is there no upper limit to improvement in audio quality? In other words, what is it about this golden egg of Genesis vinyl that would sound so much better than the best commercially available one? Beyond a certain point, how can the aural quality of drums, guitars, keyboards and other instruments be enhanced in their journey from the musician making the sound 45 years ago to the sound entering my eardrum today? Is the goal to get as close as possible to being in the room where the sound was made at the time the sound was made?

I have a lot of high quality pressings and high resolution files, I actually think that if a record is recorded well in the first place, whether that be live or studio there is as technology progresses further and further improvements sonically, well I have found that myself.Some 1950s/1960s jazz pressings sound astounding to my ears. Take for example Dave Brubecks “Time Out” classic album on the Analogue Productions cut (the company the chap in the video owns), this was recently released on a double 45 RPM pressing and you would swear that the drum solo was in the room with you. I do a lot of my listening via a good quality headphone amplifier (Ifi Micro idsd black label) which decodes all the high resolutions like DSD 128 ( a 40 minute album in the format would take up a whopping 7-8Gb of space on its own ) and through that from my MacBook Pro into Sennheiser HD800S headphones some of the sounds are astonishing. I do think that you can clearly notice a bad recording and such bad recordings only sound worse when they try to up the resolutions to re issue them.

If you are interested in checking out some of these titles, I would recommend the following albums if you haven’t heard them already

Harry Belafonte live at Carnegie Hall on Analogue Productions

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer - Mobile Fidelity standard and SACD also same album on Acoustic Sounds.

Alison Krauss & Union Station - Live MFSL

most of the stuff pressed by Acoustic Sounds is great , another one which I would strongly recommend and has just been re pressed is the Captain and Me - Doobie Brothers (Speakers Corner Records ) - moderate priced at the moment but amazingly sounding.

I do think the sound of many titles that I own on vinyl has improved on some pressings and most certainly some of the recent re issues of albums on SACD and blu ray audio give you deeper insight into what was going on , on many of the albums we thought we knew. I listened to a Pat Metheny blu ray audio of the album I like called the Way Up and you could clearly hear the drummer throw a percussive instrument over his shoulder and it land on the floor. I actually watched the bluray again to confirm he had done this, and it shows him doing it but I didn’t notice it before after many listening on a basic equipment set up !. I do think what you say is the ultimate goal getting as near sonically to the timbres of the recording studio and many of these high resolution or pure vinyl pressings are achieving that even on modest equipment.

Edited 3 times, last by Wayne ().

• You are asking a question that I have asked myself for a long time and cannot come up with an answer. I guess if I was rich I might be one of those who gets suckered in to buying hi fi at ridiculous prices , I don't know. I have a 30 year old Linn axis turntable and have no desire to change it as it's my best friend. Two year year old q acoustic concept 20 speakers ( great) and a fairly new marantz amp about £300 pounds which I can't really get on with . I love my B&W P7 headphones. So it's good but not audiophile. I do tend to think that there is a lot of " emperor's New clothes" when it comes to hi fi , although I'm not not rich enough to know what I would be like with so much more to spend I it .

(I do know though that if I had I big house and bigger money I would collect hi fi. I'd love to have a massive room with old cylinder players, 78s gramophones 70s stereos 60s plastic record players , I love all that stuff.) I don't know what these UHQR or mobile fidelity recordings sound like . Never even heard of them before, but there is a little bit of a collector in me that's a sucker for nice box and cover and different versions . It is best record ever made so I want all the versions . I have the definitive edition CD , the SACD, the original vinyl and the remaster vinyl of ATOTT. I used to be really happy with my one copy of the vinyl but as different versions emerged I wanted to hear them. The difference is clear to me but always better. I find wonderful clarity with the remasters but the lose some bass which I also really like especially on Entangled. Maybe the mobile fidelty will have a bit of both ..

• The mobile fidelity is miles ahead of anything I’ve heard of this album, it’s far superior, Even though I don’t have the SACD (I Know I keep banging on about by them getting released again), I have heard it and to me it isn’t anywhere as good sonically. Entangled sounds delightful on this vinyl as does everything else on it. You know your in for a treat as soon as the guitar intro starts. When I first bought it I couldn’t believe it, I had a Technics 1210 then and it sounded lovely , I now have a Technics SP-10 (old radio surplus turntable with direct drive which is easier to use). The album sounds better as you go up the turntable scale. Like you I’m not wealthy and never had any money to speak of but have gradually worked my way up to a fairly good record player which doesn’t cost the Earth. Hi Fi is a very diminishing terms pursuit just because something costs £20,000 doesn’t mean it sounds 20 times better than a £1000 turntable, the improvement isn’t that significant as You increase price but the backgrounds are more dark and the soundstage opens up I’ve found. Same with cartridges. I’ve just saved up for a £300 one from my £40 Ortofon and the difference is significant.