Which five bands?

• What of his do you play? Not an artist whose work I've ever been tempted to own.

Six Wives and Criminal Record are my favourites.

I tend to stay away from his albums with vocals though I do like Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

He’s done a few albums where he’s alone on piano. I like Heritage Suite.

It just so happens I brought with me to work today, Rick Wakeman At Lincoln Cathedral, which features him performing alone on pipe organ. Not exactly conducive to everyone’s tastes, but I like it.

• You seem to like a mix of stuff not too disimilar to my tastes. Is there a particular era of Simple Minds you've been listening to? I saw them do some new stuff at a recent gig and it was pretty good. But my favourite phase of theirs will always be the first five albums. When I saw them on the 5x5 tour in 2012, that was my ultimate Simple Minds gig. No Don't You Forget, no Alive & Kicking.... perfect!

Abandon all reason

• At the recent gig, because I knew they ended with those, as soon as DYFAM started, I left.

I still remember the day I bought Sons and Fascination and Sister Feelings Call which came bundled together. Still love those albums along with Street Fighting Years

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• I still remember the day I bought Sons and Fascination and Sister Feelings Call which came bundled together. Still love those albums along with Street Fighting Years

All we got from any of those at the recent gig was Love Song and The American (nothing earlier), both transformed into stadium rockers, sadly. They seem to ignore SFYs these days.

Abandon all reason

• You seem to like a mix of stuff not too disimilar to my tastes. Is there a particular era of Simple Minds you've been listening to? I saw them do some new stuff at a recent gig and it was pretty good. But my favourite phase of theirs will always be the first five albums. When I saw them on the 5x5 tour in 2012, that was my ultimate Simple Minds gig. No Don't You Forget, no Alive & Kicking.... perfect!

Oh, thank you!

See, you had the advantage of having Simple Minds as a local band - thus, you logically prefer the earlier material. It is really good! However, the first song I heard from them was "Don't You Forget About Me" - thus, I am forgiving of that song and "Once Upon A Time" and albums after that. My favorites are "New Gold Dream" and "Sparkle In The Rain"; I really like "Sons and Fascination"/"Sister Feelings Call" too. I only know the earlier material before then from compilations, but I don't dislike anything they do.

I'm tempted to see them on Monday - they are playing locally. Did you like the new material?

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Since the last time, it's been a lot of:

Steve Hackett

Bob Marley

Eric Clapton (both solo and various bands he's been in)

Black Sabbath

Elton John

• Something about Jethro Tull that appeals to me during the months of November and December. I always play a lot of their music at this time of year, and if I play any music on Christmas Day. it's usually something by them.

Speaking of which, in the last month...

Jethro Tull

Bruce Cockburn

Tim Buckley

early Fleetwood Mac ('68-72)

Robert Fripp and various related (solo, Sylvain & Fripp, King Crimson, League of Gentlemen, etc)

• Something about Jethro Tull that appeals to me during the months of November and December. I always play a lot of their music at this time of year, and if I play any music on Christmas Day. it's usually something by them.

Do you have their Christmas album? I love it!