Which five bands?

• Thinking about the bands I listen to (see my previous comments) reminds me that I generally have an aversion to prog rock bands other than Genesis. I can’t stand most Yes songs. Their lyrics often sound to me like the pseudo-intellectual musings of a wannabe 16 year old poet, and their music is not as consistently melodic as is that of Genesis. ELP tends to be “too grandiose” by half for my taste. I could go on, but the general point I’m raising is that Genesis is the only prog band that consistently does it for me (though King Crimson has its moments). Am I out on an island alone feeling like this?

• Official Post

Thinking about the bands I listen too (see my previous comments) reminds me that I generally have an aversion to prog rock bands other than Genesis. I can’t stand most Yes songs. Their lyrics often sound to me like the pseudo-intellectual musings of a wannabe 16 year old poet, and their music is not as consistently melodic as is that of Genesis. ELP tends to be “too grandiose” by half for my taste. I could go on, but the general point I’m raising is that Genesis is the only prog band that consistently does it for me (though King Crimson has its moments). Am I out on an island alone feeling like this?

I don’t think you’re alone. I tried recently getting into King Crimson and just had a real hard time listening to In the Court of the Crimson King. Twenty first Century Schizoid Man just grated on me. I listened to one or two tracks on Gentle Giant’s first album and then bailed. There are others who love everything and anything progressive, but so far Genesis is the only real prog act I love. I’m sure others will have different opinions.

• Thinking about the bands I listen to (see my previous comments) reminds me that I generally have an aversion to prog rock bands other than Genesis. I can’t stand most Yes songs. Their lyrics often sound to me like the pseudo-intellectual musings of a wannabe 16 year old poet, and their music is not as consistently melodic as is that of Genesis. ELP tends to be “too grandiose” by half for my taste. I could go on, but the general point I’m raising is that Genesis is the only prog band that consistently does it for me (though King Crimson has its moments). Am I out on an island alone feeling like this?

woah woah woah woah WOAH!!! Put on the brakes here! Cant stand most Yes songs!? =O=O:evil:<X:evil:=O

• I don’t think you’re alone. I tried recently getting into King Crimson and just had a real hard time listening to In the Court of the Crimson King. Twenty first Century Schizoid Man just grated on me. I listened to one or two tracks on Gentle Giant’s first album and then bailed. There are others who love everything and anything progressive, but so far Genesis is the only real prog act I love. I’m sure others will have different opinions.

ELP is an acquired taste. It’s musical sauerkraut. The problem with them is they turn most great songs into a jam of sorts. It starts out catchy, interesting, melodic, then goes far into the periphery of the unknown....Keith taking off on his keyboards with weird, repetitive notes and it gets convoluted as heck! I tend to like the more simplistic songs like

From the Beginning

Lucky Man

Still You Turn Me On

Fanfare for the Common Man

Tarkus

Karen Evil 9

Etc.

King Crimson just doesn’t do anything for me at all. Way too experimental, off key, meandering, and weird. Starless and Court of the Crimson King, I talk to the Wind, Moonchild, and a couple others are ok.

For me, Yes is the greatest prog band of all time with Genesis an extremely close second. Close to the Edge, Fragile, The Yes Album, Going for the One, Drama, sooooo many epic albums. As a teen I sat there in my bedroom utterly speechless and in awe....

• Official Post

hmmm..maybe I’ll try giving Yes a listen, the only song of theirs I know is Owner of a Lonely Heart....

• woah woah woah woah WOAH!!! Put on the brakes here! Cant stand most Yes songs!? =O=O:evil:<X:evil:=O

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! YES! I can’t stand most Yes songs :)Their lyrics and melodies don’t move me much. But hey if you love them more power to you. Different musical strokes for different folks.