Carpet Crawlers 99 - Question

• They released Carpet Crawlers '99 on the Turn It On Again: the Hits compilation. I remember I went and got it when it was first released during the year I graduated high school. I don't recall if it was early or late 1999, but I remember it was very cold out when I walked to the store to get it (I was in Wisconsin at that time). By then the 1970-1975 Archive boxset had already come out, as I got that for Christmas in 1998.

As for when CC99 was actually recorded, all I remember reading at the time is that it was put together remotely with each band member doing their own contributions separately and then emailing it to another-and it was a couple years in the making, before the hits collection was released. I don't know anything further regarding what their original intentions were for the song - but there was nothing that said it was already worked on as early as 1995...

• Steve must have recorded a lot more guitar parts than we actually hear. At least that's what he said in interviews a while ago. But, as stated elsewhere, it was more a Trevor Horn project. And looking back, it probably wasn't a bad idea. I know fans are rather critical here, but for a one-off, it was okay.

... any moment that we bring to life - ridiculous sublime

• Phil Worked on it probably a week after quiting Genesis lol

Phil did so much Genesis related projects after "quiting" it's no wonder Genesis v5 never had a chance.

That's one thing that Peter did right, was remove himself as far away as possible and let the band grow and shape its identity with Phil.

I always feel Ray had Phil's shadow over his shadow the whole time and v5 never had a chance the way Tony & Mike handled it.

• Steve must have recorded a lot more guitar parts than we actually hear. At least that's what he said in interviews a while ago. But, as stated elsewhere, it was more a Trevor Horn project. And looking back, it probably wasn't a bad idea. I know fans are rather critical here, but for a one-off, it was okay.

I personally really liked the new version. Even though only about half of it was influenced by the band themselves, it gave me a glimpse into what they could've sounded like if they had done another album (something I was badly wanting at the time of the early 2000's)