Carpet Crawlers 99 - Question

• Did they work off the original version, or did they start from sratch? In particular, did they bring in Hackett to do new guitar work, or did they just use his guitar work from the original version? Thanks so much.

• cbBen

Changed the title of the thread from “Carpet Carlwers 99 - Question” to “Carpet Crawlers 99 - Question”.
    • Official Post

It was a new recording. Hackett said afterwards that a lot of stuff he did for this new version wasn't used in the end.

Nevertheless, they were not in the studio at the same time.

• It was a new recording. Hackett said afterwards that a lot of stuff he did for this new version wasn't used in the end.

Nevertheless, they were not in the studio at the same time.

Thanks so much. If Hackett says they didn't use a lot of what he did, that means that they nevertheless did use at least some of what he did; and so he's on the new track at least to some extent. Do I have that right?

And again, very much appreciate this information. Thanks.

Edited once, last by cbBen ().

• Official Post

The video has a short version

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks for this reminder. It’s better than I remembered it. The video seems to start well and fade a bit in my view. Also, quite a few images of Peter, Phil and and Mike, one silhouette of Tony and none that I can see of Steve. Would’ve have been easy to balance that out I would have thought.

• Wow, I have never seen this video, I didn't even know there was one. I remember the song was played on some radio stations, but I never saw that video been broadcast on MTV and VIVA, unlike Congo which was in regular rotation. Who created that video? The imagery is quite interesting, I was surprised about the ocean/coast scenery and the baby in the beginning. Then again, what would you come up with to a song with these lyrics? The song should have deserved more success. It was Genesis's last hit single up to date.

• Saw this video years ago. I always wondered why they didn’t do more promotion, this could have been a late hit single.

I love this version of the track. But they should have included Ray Wilson as well.

... make tomorrow today!

• Always struck me as an attempt to add bells and whistles to a song that was beautiful in its original simplicity.

Compared to the studio version or any live performance of this song I've heard from any era, this is easily my least favourite.

• Always struck me as an attempt to add bells and whistles to a song that was beautiful in its original simplicity.

Compared to the studio version or any live performance of this song I've heard from any era, this is easily my least favourite.

I agree, it's just a cash-in attempt. You can tel Peter & Phil are on it, and you can hear the bit of Steve they left in, but frankly, the rest of it could be Trevor Horn. Absolutely nothing signature or trademark Tony & Mike here.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I agree, it's just a cash-in attempt. You can tel Peter & Phil are on it, and you can hear the bit of Steve they left in, but frankly, the rest of it could be Trevor Horn. Absolutely nothing signature or trademark Tony & Mike here.

indeed. But it's also not a surprise. It was more a Trevor Horn project and he used what he thought would fit in.

Would probably have been different if the band were in the studio together...

• Probably blaming him for the failure of CAS.

well, the commercial failure was limited to North America. Even Phil was losing ground there with Both Sides and after that.
    CAS deserved a follow up, Ray had a contract for two albums. They obviously did everything to make this period disappear (see Sum of the parts), so it’s no wonder they didn’t want Ray in this recording. This was just after the CAS tour ...