Edwyn Collins

• Official Post

(Not related to Phil)

does anybody listen to the music of Edwyn Collins? I used to listen to Georgeous George a lot when it came out and the album after that and than lost interested and didn’t follow what he was doing

by chance, I found out he is still doing stuff and his latest album, Badbea from 2019, is pretty good!

• Love Edwyn - followed him since the Orange Juice days. I was a postgrad student in Glasgow in the early - mid 80's and I am heavily into the Glasgow/West of Scotland music of that time (so many good memories) - The Blue Nile (I have met Paul Buchanan and PJ Moore), Edwyn/Orange Juice, Simple Minds, Love and Money, early Deacon Blue, Roddy Frame/Aztec Camera.

I can thoroughly recommend the book 'Falling & Laughing' the book written by his wife Grace Maxwell on his near death illness and subsequent recovery. I have seen him live twice at small venues in Manchester and his singing is almost 100% compared to his normal speech. He has a great band - Paul Cook ex-Sex Pistols on drums, but sadly I missed the tour when he had Roddy Frame on lead guitar.

• Official Post

Thanks for your comments

Never knew he was in a band, so will check this out as well!

• ordinary bloke...some good memories there . I was into similar acts at the time. Love and Money album often forgotten about, but played it to death at the time!...the Blue Nile, i could spend hours on the greatness of the 1st two albums. Hats is a classic

No mention of Lloyd Cole and his commotions?..Rattlesnakes another great album that still gets a lot of airplay here 😄

• Official Post

I also like THE BLUE NILE a lot. A shame they stopped doing stuff together.

• Simon, put it down to senility ha ha! When I was typing that original comment I had a nagging thought of "who have I forgotten" love Lloyd Cole too, try to see him as much as possible too! He tours solo or last time his son played with him. 'Forest Fire' is still a goosebumps monster of a song!

'Hats' is sublime, but 'Rooftops' means a lot to me, walking my then flatmates dogs around Kelvingrove Park, at night, in the rain, listening to the album on my walkman looking at the very rooftops the song was written about. Happy Days!