Bands / Artists you used to despise and now love

• I was generally able to make sure I got really good seats at the front and never had any sound problems, bar one occasion on the R30 tour when I was at the very top, at the back, on one side.

If i were to list my gig 'moments', one would be Subdivisions, second song in, right at the front on the Hold Your Fire tour. All I can say is: stunning.

Yeah, I always ended up with bad seats, so that may have something to do with it.

How good is Subdivisions!? That song never fails to move me. Geddy sings it so well, the keyboards are lush and Neils drumming is perfect. I saw them perfom that on Hold your Fire too...albeit from the cheap seats! Great show.

• How good is Subdivisions!? That song never fails to move me. Geddy sings it so well, the keyboards are lush and Neils drumming is perfect. I saw them perfom that on Hold your Fire too...albeit from the cheap seats! Great show.

One of their outstanding tracks, from an album I like a lot but which was very divisive at the time. I'm a sucker for heavy bass synth and on stage when that intro kicked in, oh man....

Abandon all reason

• One of their outstanding tracks, from an album I like a lot but which was very divisive at the time. I'm a sucker for heavy bass synth and on stage when that intro kicked in, oh man....

Yep! I hear ya :thumbup:The best track on Signals. It did cause some stress among Rush nuts at the time. It's when the synths really came to to the front of the mix for the first time, almost drowning the the guitar. That was never going to sit well with hard rock purists, but probaby appealed to many of their more proggy fans.

• Before I joined the old genesis conforums site, Riverside was once a hard band to like.. Reason being, they had a few growls in their singing from the earlier albums. After getting over this, I 've loved all Riverside's material...

• I was generally able to make sure I got really good seats at the front and never had any sound problems, bar one occasion on the R30 tour when I was at the very top, at the back, on one side.

If i were to list my gig 'moments', one would be Subdivisions, second song in, right at the front on the Hold Your Fire tour. All I can say is: stunning.

Yeah, I always ended up with bad seats, so that may have something to do with it.

How good is Subdivisions!? That song never fails to move me. Geddy sings it so well, the keyboards are lush and Neils drumming is perfect. I saw them perfom that on Hold your Fire too...albeit from the cheap seats! Great show.

One of their outstanding tracks, from an album I like a lot but which was very divisive at the time. I'm a sucker for heavy bass synth and on stage when that intro kicked in, oh man....

Yep! I hear ya :thumbup:The best track on Signals. It did cause some stress among Rush nuts at the time. It's when the synths really came to to the front of the mix for the first time, almost drowning the the guitar. That was never going to sit well with hard rock purists, but probaby appealed to many of their more proggy fans.

Well, let's make it three who saw "Subdivisions" on that same tour! ^^ It was stunning, and I have always loved Signals.

Alex was always torn on Signals too - he missed having full-frontal guitar (as did many of the fans), but he also realized that the album was great without it. I absolutely adored the "Permanent Waves" to "Grace Under Pressure" Rush - what an era! (Now I loved "2112" to "Hemispheres" too, but the evolution of their sound was so good.)

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Well, let's make it three who saw "Subdivisions" on that same tour! ^^ It was stunning, and I have always loved Signals.

Alex was always torn on Signals too - he missed having full-frontal guitar (as did many of the fans), but he also realized that the album was great without it. I absolutely adored the "Permanent Waves" to "Grace Under Pressure" Rush - what an era! (Now I loved "2112" to "Hemispheres" too, but the evolution of their sound was so good.)

Grace Under Pressure is a great album. In contrast to Signals, the guitar comes screaming to the foreground on that album, and yet it's still very much one of their 'synth' era albums. It has an U2/Simple Minds/General 80's guitar rock/pop influence IMO. It was a slow grower for me, but I ended up liking it quite a lot more than Signals.

• Not a specific artist, but I abhorred disco when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Now I love lots of it.

I also was pretty lukewarm about many New Wave synthpop bands from the early 80s. I particularly didn't like Depeche Mode and New Order when they first came out. Now, while I don't love their songs, I don't mind them.

• Not a specific artist, but I abhorred disco when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Now I love lots of it.

I also was pretty lukewarm about many New Wave synthpop bands from the early 80s. I particularly didn't like Depeche Mode and New Order when they first came out. Now, while I don't love their songs, I don't mind them.

I love how you've gone from lukewarm about them... to slightly warmer!

I too couldn't stand disco when it was at its peak in the mid-to-late 70s, but while not exactly embracing it now, I can see the appeal and quite enjoy hearing some of it. I think that as with many other types of music, growing up and maturing has helped me see the virtues of stuff I previously disliked.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• The Bee Gees: they were simply not on my radar. I was moody, broody and loved prog so I couldn't possibly like them but I got their 'Best of' and I have to admit, they were harmony and melody geniuses.

Journey: I still think their lyrics are quite ridiculous but with the exception perhaps of Cain on the keyboards, their musicianship is top notch, a couple of songs are really great and Perry's voice is fantastic although I could live without some of his vocal mannerisms.

• Grace Under Pressure is a great album. In contrast to Signals, the guitar comes screaming to the foreground on that album, and yet it's still very much one of their 'synth' era albums. It has an U2/Simple Minds/General 80's guitar rock/pop influence IMO. It was a slow grower for me, but I ended up liking it quite a lot more than Signals.

It was a grower for me too. Not sure I'd place it above Signals, but it's good stuff. I remember right from first listening I was struck by the much darker tone and really liked that. I'd never thought about similarities to those bands you mentioned but now you said it, I can see it. Especially early 80s Minds, a period that is for me by far their best work.

GUP is an album I kind of forgot about for some reason yet it has tracks that are among my Rush favourites - Afterimage, Kid Gloves, Between The Wheels. Unlike Genesis, Rush became very good at surprising you at gigs by suddenly dusting off old tracks and at one gig BTW was one of them. I never thought I'd hear that on stage and would've assumed it was in the never-to-be-played-again category to the extent I never even thought about it. Circumstances and Entre Nous were two other examples of that at the last Rush gig I ever saw (2007).

Abandon all reason

• It was a grower for me too. Not sure I'd place it above Signals, but it's good stuff. I remember right from first listening I was struck by the much darker tone and really liked that. I'd never thought about similarities to those bands you mentioned but now you said it, I can see it. Especially early 80s Minds, a period that is for me by far their best work.

GUP is an album I kind of forgot about for some reason yet it has tracks that are among my Rush favourites - Afterimage, Kid Gloves, Between The Wheels. Unlike Genesis, Rush became very good at surprising you at gigs by suddenly dusting off old tracks and at one gig BTW was one of them. I never thought I'd hear that on stage and would've assumed it was in the never-to-be-played-again category to the extent I never even thought about it. Circumstances and Entre Nous were two other examples of that at the last Rush gig I ever saw (2007).

It was a grower for me too. Not sure I'd place it above Signals, but it's good stuff. I remember right from first listening I was struck by the much darker tone and really liked that. I'd never thought about similarities to those bands you mentioned but now you said it, I can see it. Especially early 80s Minds, a period that is for me by far their best work.

Yeah, I think they played BTW on the R30 tour. I was there at Wembley. It's my favourite track off GUP. It was very powerful live.

Genesis needed to play more old stuff at gigs, post Duke IMO. On the Invisible Touch tour they played at least a section of Suppers Ready on the US tour, but not in the UK, which I thought was odd. I also thought it unfortunate that they didn't include Unquiet Slumbers/In That quiet earth/Afterglow & In The Cage on the live DVD from that tour. They played them at the Wembley stadium shows,

• Genesis needed to play more old stuff at gigs, post Duke IMO. On the Invisible Touch tour they played at least a section of Suppers Ready on the US tour, but not in the UK, which I thought was odd. I also thought it unfortunate that they didn't include Unquiet Slumbers/In That quiet earth/Afterglow & In The Cage on the live DVD from that tour. They played them at the Wembley stadium shows,

Yes - their explanation at the time was something about the cameras malfunctioning, but that always came across as a bit contrived/convenient IMHO...

If you remember then, the band were at their most conflicted about their older music. They were the biggest that they ever had been in their career at that time - they were also a bit frustrated that their work as a trio wasn't better appreciated. They constantly, even then, were getting questions about a reunion with Gabriel. I think they recorded the "In The Cage" section of the show just fine, but they chose not to release it so that the more recent material would get greater prominence on the video/DVD. I agree that that section was especially good and should have been included (I saw the version with the closing section of "Suppers Ready", and that part of the show got the loudest ovation). It was just wrong to leave it out. I also find it a little hard to believe that the video of that section doesn't still exist somewhere. It should have been reinserted into the show once DVDs came out (provided the section still existed).

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I remember Banks saying that they were always the most excited and enthusiastic about their most recent material, but in later years suggested that Invisible Touch was maybe not their strongest despite being their best selling. Chester Thompson also said he felt the band had ‘lost’ something during that period.

They always seemed to have some hang ups about their older material.

• The story I heard about the missing Cage sequence was that they had a limited supply of the HD tape used to record the show so had to leave some of it off. Even at the time I thought that sounded like total BS. Even worse, they said they chose the Cage medley as the 'sacrifice' because it had already featured on live videos, but obviously that particular version of it hadn't, while several of the other set numbers had, including the TIOA medley.

Abandon all reason

• I completely understand the thing about a band wanting to play mostly their new stuff. In a way, I'd lose respect for a band that didn't have that approach. Genesis reached the point where their sets were mainly the last 2 albums, a smattering of preceding ones plus TIOA and one nod to 70s stuff usually in medley form. It was frustrating for many fans especially those dating back to those earlier days. I'd have loved to hear more old stuff but as I say, I understood their approach. I suppose with the WCD tour they did at least vary the medley.

But as I said about e.g. Rush it would have been good over the years to hear a surprise or two. Genesis were pretty mercenary even with tracks they themselves regarded highly that got dropped soon after release.

Abandon all reason

• Genesis were pretty mercenary even with tracks they themselves regarded highly that got dropped soon after release.

It sounds a bit harsh but it is, I believe, a valid point. They could have done better in that department imo and kept, if not a share of their fans, their history in higher regard. I guess they just gave the people what they wanted.

• This may come as a surprise to you, but 80's-era Genesis was something I didn't care for, even hated. I think it wasn't until I watched American Psycho and shared memes about it that I decided to go back to that particular phase of Genesis. I started with Invisible Touch, tried out Duke thanks to Patrick Bateman's "Do you like Phil Collins?" monolouge, and then it hit me with the realization being "Hey, I un-ironically enjoy this!" I was then converted to a full-on, all-inclusive Genesis fan, thanks to a dark comedy starring Christian Bale.