Would anything on the trio albums have fit well on the previous albums?

• I think some might have worked on the foursome LPs, but not really in the Gabriel era. Although I've always thought it would be cool to hear Peter Gabriel sing Heathaze, don't know why.

• With the lone exception of Follow You, Follow Me, I don’t think any track from ATTW3 would have sounded out of place on Wind & Wuthering.

I also think Evidence of Autumn, Duchess or Heathaze - any of those songs - could have fit in with either of the four-man era albums without creating a stir or raising eyebrows.

• Gabriel singing Heathaze? That would be incredible.

Of all of the non-Gabriel tracks, I have always thought that about Heathaze and, One for the Vine too, for that matter. I think Gabriel would have done a tremendous job with both of them. Collins is great on those, don't get me wrong, but they would definitely fit with Gabriel singing them. Abacab and going forward, not so much, I'd say. At least I wouldn't say he'd really enhance them.

• I could hear Gabriel singing Undertow. Would have some serious Wallflower type thing going. But as for songs from 1978 on fitting on earlier albums, not much. Whodunnit could maybe be on NC instead of Harold the Barrel, but the progression in production and style makes it hard to imagine.

• I think quite a few of the quieter songs or more likely bits of all sorts of songs could have done because on the early albums all sorts of writing combinations happened to produce bits that were then stitched together. But the Banks/Gabriel partnership had gone and the realignment meant that one bedrock of early writing had gone - just as the Phillips/Rutherford went before and then the rehearsing/arranging/polishing stages became different, until eventually most things came out of jams. So lots of bits but perhaps not many whole songs?

• I feel songs like Afterglow, Duchess, Dreaming While You Sleep, and of course Mama would have worked in the Gabriel era. As for HBTS, my favourite Genesis song, I totally agree.

• Eleventh Earl of Mar. Lyrically and musically it reminds me a little of Battle of Epping Forest.

Not a trio song, though. But it certainly would have benefitted from PG's participation/singing. And we might have been spared hearing about the er... daddy issues that... mar that particular track. Wouldn't you say this is the album where quality control really started to slipthe advent of that sickly sweet sound that defines the rest of the band's history, all the way to the awful Mama and beyond?

awful Mama

Well... Actually, this is one of these songs that could have fit on previous albums, to me...

I can easily hear Gabriel singing it (the big "Oh-Ohhhhh !" before the second verse and the bridge in the song, same as here, kind of : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efEEe2oGCUc , or just here https://youtu.be/1IanjpQoW54?t=224 , the laugh (Haha - Ha) could also be quite theatrical in a Gabrielesque way...

The guitar is very reminiscent of Hackett, I think (volume swells, vibrato effects at the beginning, and the solo at the end could easily be played by him).

• Sure: anything that appeared on the latter albums might have been song building blocks during the prog era, or more likely, would have been rejected by the collectivehere owing to Mama's simplistic/mundane writing/sentiment...

• Not a trio song, though. But it certainly would have benefitted from PG's participation/singing. And we might have been spared hearing about the er... daddy issues that... mar that particular track. Wouldn't you say this is the album where quality control really started to slipthe advent of that sickly sweet sound that defines the rest of the band's history, all the way to the awful Mama and beyond?

You might say that. Others do not. Once again, you assume your opinions are shared by everyone else.

How Mama, one of the rawest songs in Genesis history, is 'sickly sweet' I cannot fathom. If you dislike it, OK. Don't call it something it patently is not.

Also your assumption that anything on the later albums would have been 'rejected by the collective' elevates Hackett & Gabriel far beyond actual reality. The other three were also part of the collective.

I'm sorry. I really try to stay out of this, but this stuff is starting to get on my nerves. I know what people say. Don't feed the troll.

• Mama is IMO the peak of the trio era......New course, meaning from Abacab on. . It could have never fit on any previous albums, not even on Duke. nor was it intended to. Still a great song, a pity they didn't follow that path any further. For my money an absolute classic.

• Mama is IMO the peak of the trio era......New course, meaning from Abacab on. . It could have never fit on any previous albums, not even on Duke. nor was it intended to. Still a great song, a pity they didn't follow that path any further. For my money an absolute classic.

Agree, Mama is a masterpiece.

• Once again, you assume your opinions are shared by everyone else.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that statement sounds? Especially on this forum where loving the pap era as much as the prog era is not just expected, but downright mandatory?

'Mama' has its raw side, sure, complete with thunderous drumming and studio trickery. And Phil's pain is palpable. However we're talking music here, and the actual tune is best qualified as nondescript, while the screams/gurgles are just annoying.

But I agree this song is probably one of the trio's best.