Fish about the Genesis album "Selling England"

• Official Post

Interesting comment about More Fool Me. For me, this has no relation to the later solo career, same with Silver Song, which he did with Ant.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I thought it was pretty cool when he did a couple of tracks for / with Tony solo, especially on the "Still" record.. I also think he was one of the candidates to replace Phil, if my memory is correct?

• as genesis fans, i thought it would have been difficult to avoid listening to music from Marillion due to the various comparisons. Saw Marillion numerous times in early 80's and some great Marquee shows.

Should try the Clutching at Straws album, which imho is one of their best

• I love Another Murder Of A Day and Shortcut To Somewhere. However I must be the only person who has never heard any work by either Fish or Marillion.

I got into them at the time, 1983, though the first 3 albums did leave you thinking "That's how Genesis would have arranged that" at every turn. Script is great, Fugazi, the follow-up has one good track, Assassing, and the rest is awful. Then Childhood's End and Clutching at Straws are great too, but after Fish left, I did too and got his first 2 solo albums. Vigil is very good and surprisingly varied, with very touching ballads rubbing shoulders with biting satire.

His next album was Songs From The Mirror, a covers album of mostly prog which influenced him, I Know What I Like being one of them. Question, by the Moodies, also features.

You must've heard Kayleigh, surely?

As for More Fool Me shaping Phil's solo work, yes, I could see similarity with the 3 slow tracks on Face Value.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• as genesis fans, i thought it would have been difficult to avoid listening to music from Marillion due to the various comparisons. Saw Marillion numerous times in early 80's and some great Marquee shows.

Should try the Clutching at Straws album, which imho is one of their best

Yes, my personal favourite Marillion album.

I saw them touring Script for a Jester's Tear in Liverpool. Some amusing wag called out for Supper's Ready, to which Fish replied with some well chosen, er, words, which were not ambiguous.

• Kayleigh was one of those songs which passed my by in that era. I probably thought it was American stadium rock like Boston, Toto, Journey etc so I never checked it out. I have read a lot about Script & Clutching At Straws so I may give those a go - also Fish's final solo album Weltschmerz is supposed to be good.

• Clutching at Straws blows my mind. I can listen to it over and over!!! It’s such a great album to listen to in the car!!!

Misplaced Childhood is my other favorite. Fish was great. Steve Rothery is a cross between Hackett and Gilmour!