• Neil Young is the chameleon of rock music. His style ranges from melodious folk rock to punk. He is both the idol of the hippie and the grunge generation. Just think of Harvest or Mirror Ball (featuring Pearl Jam instead of Crazy Horse) His weirdest album probably is Reactor from 1982, which is trash punk with an Elvis-like Neil on the cover.

Ain`t got no t-bone. Got mashed potatoes.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• ...His weirdest album probably is Reactor from 1982, which is trash punk with an Elvis-like Neil on the cover.

Ain`t got no t-bone. Got mashed potatoes.

The Elvis-like Neil is actually from the cover of Everybody's Rockin'.

The weirdest one for me was Trans which Neil has said was inspired by a combination of the music of Kraftwerk and the computerized means his son uses to communicate (I believe the son he was referring has cerebral palsy).

The first time I saw him in concert, oddly enough, was on the Trans tour in 1983.

I've seen him twice since then.

I'm a huge fan.

I can't say I love everything he's released but certainly as a live performer, I've never been less than overjoyed coming out of a concert hall after seeing him.

• Yes, Neil and David Bowie were the best "rock chameleons" in music, IMHO.

I saw him about 10 years ago in the old Spectrum before it went to "arena heaven". Fantastic show. :thumbup:

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Neil sadly has two sons with cerebral palsy. What are the odds?

I was a massive fan of his when I was at university, which always seems to be the age when people discover overwrought singer songwriters. He did one of the best shows I have ever seen back in 1985, but the more left field & inconsistent he got, the less I liked his work. The last album I bought was Living With War. I find there are only so many ten minute guitar jams I can take.

My favourite Neil Young songs are:

My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)

Powderfinger

Heart Of Gold

Cortez The Killer

Like A Hurricane

Harvest

After The Gold Rush

El Dorado

Rockin' In The Free World

Thrasher

Three of those are from Rust Never Sleeps which I think is his best album.

• You can't go wrong with "Rust Never Sleeps". :thumbup:

I agree about his sons too - that just shouldn't be allowed (for anyone)... :|

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• We drove around the deserts of Namibia listening to nothing but Neil Young. Great stuff! I love your playlist but my fave is missing;: ‘Natural Beauty’ (Cortez the killer being a close second imho....or is it? ...no: I mustn’t go there!)

~ My talents may not be obvious but they are always...always...delicious! ~

• I do like Natural Beauty a lot.

I do wonder what the big deal is about Tonight's The Night. So many critics love it, just as they love Exile On Main Street by the Stones, because it's 'raw' & 'honest' and all of that stuff.