Your favorite GENESIS live albums (pick two)

• A brief bit of foraging hasn't yielded the 12" with it on, just the fanclub flexidisc referred to. But in my ferreting around I just stumbled on another version of No Reply, another 12" flagged as 'specialty' and paired with Dodo which from the run time given (5.08) seems to be just Dodo, presumably with a fade as it approaches the crossover into Lurker otherwise it'd be a pretty brusque ending!

Abandon all reason

• Interesting to see Seconds Out as the top live album. I wonder how many people who voted for that album actually saw the '77 tour (let's forget Cinema Show for now)? I did and that's why I did not vote for SO. It doesn't at all sound like a Genesis live show, circa 1977. Forget the fact that virtually no W&W is on it (and they played a lot of it live). It just sounds "weak". And Genesis was so powerful live on that tour, just listen to the Zurich bootleg or any other "raw" recording from that tour. I remember my shirt vibrating from the Taurus pedals, that's how powerful it was. I definitely don't get any of that from SO.

• Interesting to see Seconds Out as the top live album. I wonder how many people who voted for that album actually saw the '77 tour (let's forget Cinema Show for now)? I did and that's why I did not vote for SO. It doesn't at all sound like a Genesis live show, circa 1977. Forget the fact that virtually no W&W is on it (and they played a lot of it live). It just sounds "weak". And Genesis was so powerful live on that tour, just listen to the Zurich bootleg or any other "raw" recording from that tour. I remember my shirt vibrating from the Taurus pedals, that's how powerful it was. I definitely don't get any of that from SO.

Man I wish I could hop in a time machine and experience that.

• Man I wish I could hop in a time machine and experience that.

It was freakin' awesome (at the ripe old age of 14 lol). All I remember is all the long haired dudes around me, pot (everywhere) and the presence of perhaps 3 female out of 8000 lol. All kidding aside, my memories are a bit hazy (not for that reason!) but I do remember the lasers and the landing lights in Los Endos and TMB. I envy those of you who can remember every detail of a show you saw nearly 45 years ago. My memories ar much more spotty.

• While I wouldn't argue they're the best Genesis live albums I went for The Longs and Live Over Europe. The Longs because along with The Shorts they were my way into Genesis post We Cant Dance. Selected Live Over Europe for the basic reason it featured several tracks from Manchester which was the first Genesis gig I went to.

• What about creating one super live album, no duplicates but you can choose the best 25 live songs you prefer to put on it from all the previous live albums.

I"ll have to give it more thought to follow your rules. But a while back, I created a "Genesis Live" playlist in iTunes that I go back to from time to time. It does allow for duplicates though (just in a couple instances, where things are also included in medleys), and also includes things from boots, so not always official releases. And it's more than 25 tracks.

Set 1

Watcher

Turn it on Again

Dancing with the Moonlit Knight

In the Cage / Afterglow (3SL)

Firth

Driving the Last Spike

Back in NYC / Hairless Heart

Abacab

Dividing Line

Keep it Dark

HBtS

Carpet Crawlers

Mama

Ripples

Duke's Travels

Set2

Behind the Lines / Duchess

Old Medley '92 (Dance, Lamb, Musical Box, Firth, IKWIL)

TTT (the long version from '86)

Cinema Show

Fading Lights

It's Gonna Get Better

Cage Medley '86 (with Quiet Earth / Ap in 9/8)

Calling All Stations

Not About Us

Drum Duet / Los Endos

Musical Box

The Knife

• I'd say medleys are an exception

• Of all my favorite bands, Genesis is the only one that I own multiple boots from concerts that I have actually attended myself live:

- Houston Astrodome May 1992 tilted simply "Astrodome" (complete show on 2 CDs)

- Madison Square Garden New York Duke tour June 1980 titled "Inna-Gadda-Da-Albert" (complete show 2 CD)

- Denver Pepsi Center Oct 2007 Turn it on Again tour by TheMusic.com encore series (complete show 2 CDs)

I could also say I also was in the audience at le centre sportif de la Universite de Montreal on April 1974 when it filmed (I was at both shows) and has been restored in higher quality, I am sure there must be a good audio bootleg around somewhere.

Edited 2 times, last by raeltheduke: more words ().